BHW cooling hose flange replacement

SoFlo

TDI
2005 B5.5 Passat Wagon, BHW
I am hoping for some help in replacing the cooling hose flange in my BHW. Anybody willing to share insight would be greatly appreciated!

Ive got part # 038121132d
also got o-ring & clip

TIA

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I just changed mine, but I did it while the transmission was out and from the bottom.

Having had a good look at it, I would change the tandem pump gasket at the same time, and then chenge the flange/manifold while the tandem pump is out and there is more access. Do yourself a favour and change the coolant temp sensor at the same time - cheap insurance.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
I just changed mine, but I did it while the transmission was out and from the bottom.

Having had a good look at it, I would change the tandem pump gasket at the same time, and then chenge the flange/manifold while the tandem pump is out and there is more access. Do yourself a favour and change the coolant temp sensor at the same time - cheap insurance.
This is what I would do as well. Tandem pump is not that hard to get out and makes getting at the coolant manifold below possible.

N2OKX

TDI
looking
In addition to removing the tandem pump, I removed the cooler on the right side of the engine. This may have been overkill, but it allowed better access. I also replaced the temp sensor while I had it out.

By the way, it was not easy to tell this was the source of the coolant leak. I guess I got lucky.

SoFlo

TDI
I've replaced the cooling hose flange. Pain in the a**. Leaking from temp sensor (new O-ring). Likely not seated properly.

I've done a lot if work on this vehicle and given the great avg mpg of 39 I must say I'm throwing in the towel. I cannot reasonably let my wife drive my 3 year old in something that may go kaput any moment. So, if anyone is interested in an '05 passat tdi let me know!

Raxles
Brakes
Timing belt
Coolant flange
Egr cleaned like new
New 60k tires
Led tail lights

Banged passenger qtr panel & driver rear door sill.
Pics if wanted.

9k.

Last edited:

SoFlo

TDI
I must thank all that have guided me along the way. I must say the willingness of the members to help has made my ownership easier. You all will not be forgotten!

Thanks again!!!

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Geared balance shaft or balance shaft deleted?

SoFlo

TDI
No balance shaft work. That was gonna b next. Not gonna drop any more $$ in it. If I can't sell it's going as a trade in.

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
In addition to removing the tandem pump, I removed the cooler on the right side of the engine. This may have been overkill, but it allowed better access. I also replaced the temp sensor while I had it out.

By the way, it was not easy to tell this was the source of the coolant leak. I guess I got lucky.
Just wanted to add a tip on this thread since I'm working on this now. Draining coolant from the reservoir and radiator still leaves coolant in the engine block. If you don't drain that, have a plan for a fair bit of coolant to drain from the hoses/flange when you remove it. (Half liter?) I had plastic under the car, but still would have easier and more Eco-friendly to collect it. If I had to do it again tomorrow I'd just pour water on flange, see where it exits below, and then put a container on the ground there to catch the coolant. Or follow the procedure to drain coolant from block.

Same goes for oil from the tandem pump actually. Try to keep it off the hoses, even if changing coolant flange. I'm going to change the hose coming out of the block because it's soaked in oil and $30 is cheap insurance!

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
If you slide the heater hose that is under the cowl into the bleed position, the block will drain when you drain the radiator. It's the hose closest to the battery. Remove the clamp and slide the hose forward until the hole in the hose is aligned with the hole in the heater core fitting.

Last edited:

mgoff5000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2004 Passat (RIP)
Interesting. I had read about opening that up on the refill but the manual says to disconnect hoses at oil cooler to drain the engine. Thanks for the heads up!

TedDively

TDI
2005 Passat BHW 5.5 GLS TDI
Reviving an old thread here, but can anyone point me to a step-by-step guide for doing this job? I don't need anything super-detailed, but it'd be nice to know generally which steps to do, and in which order. For example, do I need to remove the tandem pump to get at the coolant flange, or can I just move hoses out of the way? How about the EGR cooler? Can I get away with just draining the coolant from the block, or do I have to purge the entire system? And so on...

I have all the parts, and new coolant, so I think I'm ready to replace the coolant flange on my 2005 Passat 2.0 TDI, but having some guidelines would be helpful.

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The coolant flange is easier to get out with the tandem pump removed. Conversely, the tandem pump is easier to get out with the coolant flange removed. :)

So, you *can* do either with the other in place. For me personally, I like to take the tandem pump out first. Two reasons: One, I think that is the easier route, and two, the reason the cooling flange needs to be replaced anyway is usually due to oil or fuel leaks from....the tandem pump or at least its gasket. I would try and determine which before you tear into it, if possible, since a new coolant flange will not last long if there is oil or fuel leaking.

Anymore, given the age and mileage of these cars now, I always replace the vent hose (going from the nipple on the head and wrapping around past the fuel filter to the metal pipe) as it is in the way of what you are doing and will need to come off anyway and they are 99% of the time softened on the end that goes into the head. I also find a high percentage of these cars will also need the oil cooler hose assembly in need of replacement. This is the smaller hose that goes up into the bottom of that flange. You cannot easily see its condition until you get in there and get it apart. And, occasionally, the heater/EGR cooler hoses.

Get a gasket for the intake flap, too, as this job is much easier with that removed, as well as the seals on the charge air hoses you'll be removing.

It is a fiddly job, not much room back there and difficult to see things. There is a support for the turbo oil supply pipe that fits over the stud on one of the flange's mounting bolts, too. Don't forget to get that back in place.

A ball ended long Allen bit (5mm) is needed for best access to the tandem pump's lowermost bolt. The return fuel hose on the tandem pump is also tricky to get to, usually easier to remove after you have gotten the pump loose and pulled it up a bit.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
Oilhammer, do you happen to have the part numbers or price(best source for the parts) for the hoses needed, charge pipe seals and flapper gasket? I will be doing this job in the next month or two also.

TedDively

TDI
The coolant flange is easier to get out with the tandem pump removed. Conversely, the tandem pump is easier to get out with the coolant flange removed. :)
So, you *can* do either with the other in place. For me personally, I like to take the tandem pump out first. Two reasons: One, I think that is the easier route, and two, the reason the cooling flange needs to be replaced anyway is usually due to oil or fuel leaks from....the tandem pump or at least its gasket. I would try and determine which before you tear into it, if possible, since a new coolant flange will not last long if there is oil or fuel leaking.
Anymore, given the age and mileage of these cars now, I always replace the vent hose (going from the nipple on the head and wrapping around past the fuel filter to the metal pipe) as it is in the way of what you are doing and will need to come off anyway and they are 99% of the time softened on the end that goes into the head. I also find a high percentage of these cars will also need the oil cooler hose assembly in need of replacement. This is the smaller hose that goes up into the bottom of that flange. You cannot easily see its condition until you get in there and get it apart. And, occasionally, the heater/EGR cooler hoses.
Get a gasket for the intake flap, too, as this job is much easier with that removed, as well as the seals on the charge air hoses you'll be removing.
It is a fiddly job, not much room back there and difficult to see things. There is a support for the turbo oil supply pipe that fits over the stud on one of the flange's mounting bolts, too. Don't forget to get that back in place.
A ball ended long Allen bit (5mm) is needed for best access to the tandem pump's lowermost bolt. The return fuel hose on the tandem pump is also tricky to get to, usually easier to remove after you have gotten the pump loose and pulled it up a bit.
All terrific info. Thanks! I actually replaced the tandem pump about 35k miles ago. Had I known then about the plastic coolant flange, I'd have done that at the same time. I've got a new tandem pump gasket as prep for removing it to get at the flange. Where can I find part numbers for the intake flap gasket and the seals for the charge air hoses?

So, it sounds like the steps are:
1. Drain the cooling system, including the block.
2. Remove the tandem pump.
3. Remove the intake flap.
4. Remove the old vent hose and oil cooler hose assembly.
5. Remove and replace the coolant flange with the new one.
6. Install the new vent hose and oil cooler hose assembly.
7. Reconnect the intake flap with a new gasket.
8. Reinstall the tandem pump with its new gasket.
9. Recharge the cooling system, remembering to burp it via the weep hole at the heater core.

Is that about right? Have I missed anything?

As long as I have it apart, I'm going to flush/backflush the heater core, too, since it's gotten rather wimpy over the years.

Last edited:

TedDively

TDI
Got it, oilhammer. Thanks! Now that I'm forced to be at home because of the shelter-in-place directive here, I figure I should take advantage of the down-time to bang out these small, but festering jobs.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
Thank you

Thank you Deliveryvalve & Oilhammer, The only part I may have to go to the dealer for is the flapper valve gasket.

DeliveryValve

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat GLS Wagon
The anti shutter valve gasket/o-ring part number is N90521601.

The first time I r&r the ASV to clean the intake, I just matched a viton 0-ring with the original. It worked until the original ASV failed.

TedDively

TDI
Hey DeliveryValve, is the "anti shutter valve gasket/o-ring" the same as what folks call the intake flap gasket?

All good stuff. Thanks gang.

Last edited:

chickenfriend

TDI
2004 Passat BHW
Anyone have the torque spec for the coolant flange bolt and stud? Thanks.

....generic torque chart indicates 7 lb-ft for those two fasteners...

Last edited:

chickenfriend

TDI
2004 Passat BHW
The o-ring on the old coolant flange was like a soft jellybean and the plastic on the housing flange was partly disintegrated, not to mention all the houses coming into the coolant flange were in poor condition.

Obviously, fuel/oil from the tandem pump or valve cover made its way to the flange o-ring, making me wonder if a higher quality o-ring, Viton specifically, would have been a better choice for o-ring material?

...just measured a new o-ring which came in a new flange: it is 3.1 mm thick and is 50.0 mm inside diameter. The o-ring itself is part 037121688. Online vendors show it as 3.15mm x 50 mm

Also, I am replacing the short, large, 90 degree coolant hose. I couldn't get one end off the metal pipe, however. I had to remove the fuel filter bracket and the pipe itself, then had to cut the hose off the pipe with a razor blade because the rubber had bonded to the metal. What a mess!

Even with the proper tool, some of the hose clamps are a bear to get off. Seems there is always something in the way!!!

When I tightened down the coolant flange, I noticed that it didn't quite sit flush in the middle, so I put the flange on a piece of sandpaper (minus the O-ring) and took some off the ends. Not the greatest design since there is a wee bit of flex in the flange after tightening. With only two bolts holding it down, that doesn't surprise me.

Another thing: the wires going into the coolant sensor had cracked insulation and were showing bare wire. I cleaned the place with some brake cleaner, dried it, then put some RTV all over the area. The main problem here is that the wires take a tight bend coming into the connector. The connector latch was broken, so I glued it back into place.

Last edited:

TedDively

TDI
After three whole years of not doing this job (don't ask), I finally made the time over the Labor Day weekend, and @oilhammer was right: It's incredibly fiddly. The two #5 hex bolts on the tandem pump, and the shorter 10mm bolt on the coolant flange were the most annoying items to deal with. I ended up unbolting the fuel filter bracket from the block, and moving it out of the way in order to make enough room to get to the shorter 10mm bolt on the coolant flange. Now, though, the cooling system has all new hoses, and isn't weeping at the old flange. Even the heater core seems a bit resuscitated. I'm grateful that over the years I invested in the long and short style of spring clamp pliers.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Taking the fuel filter and bracket off certainly allows easier (more) access back there. And if nothing else, more LIGHT. Glad you got it sorted.

The newer longitudinal platforms have more room back there, along with a whole bunch of other nice improvements... but sadly no 4cyl diesels for us that way after the BHW cars.

LorenS

TDI
2005 Passat
After three whole years of not doing this job
I hear you there! I finally got around to replacing mine, along with the tandem pump and a bunch of other stuff. Of course after initial fill with coolant it started a slow drip so off it came without ever leaving the garage. I did manage to remove the coolant flange without removing the tandem pump. Thankfully I had also replaced the turbo oil line with a flexible model, so it wasn't giving me any problems. Put in a dealer-sourced o-ring ($1.69) and no more drip! Was also a lot more careful with torquing the flange down; finger tight each bolt, then ~50 in-lbs, then the full 84 in-lbs. Even used the torque wrench for the nut that holds on the oil line support.

By the way, the o-ring sectional diameter was 0.125" per my micrometer. The ID of the ring is listed as 50mm on many websites which is 1.969". I thought that would be a size 226 o-ring, but that's only based on "nominal" sizes. According to Parker Hannifin literature, the ACTUAL cross section is 0.139", +/-0.004". The ID is listed at 1.984", +/- 0.018" which is certainly close enough, as the factory o-ring had to be installed basically in compression to fit in the coolant flange.

TedDively

TDI
I hear you there! I finally got around to replacing mine, along with the tandem pump and a bunch of other stuff. Of course after initial fill with coolant it started a slow drip so off it came without ever leaving the garage. I did manage to remove the coolant flange without removing the tandem pump. Thankfully I had also replaced the turbo oil line with a flexible model, so it wasn't giving me any problems. Put in a dealer-sourced o-ring ($1.69) and no more drip! Was also a lot more careful with torquing the flange down; finger tight each bolt, then ~50 in-lbs, then the full 84 in-lbs. Even used the torque wrench for the nut that holds on the oil line support.

By the way, the o-ring sectional diameter was 0.125" per my micrometer. The ID of the ring is listed as 50mm on many websites which is 1.969". I thought that would be a size 226 o-ring, but that's only based on "nominal" sizes. According to Parker Hannifin literature, the ACTUAL cross section is 0.139", +/-0.004". The ID is listed at 1.984", +/- 0.018" which is certainly close enough, as the factory o-ring had to be installed basically in compression to fit in the coolant flange.
No drips detected on mine yet, although the top radiator hose slipped off, and dumped coolant on the freeway the first time I drove it under load. Luckily, I had a couple liters of the stuff in the trunk, and I was able to wrestle the hose all the way back on using the coolant as a lubricant. I guess I was just tired when I was wrapping up the easy parts of the job, and didn't notice that the top radiator hose wasn't completely seated. Since that initial embarrassment, the car's operating normally.