Tony's B4 Project

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
Thanks DadsDiesel. I need to do the seats on my 97 2.0. I may wait until I do that one so I can get better pictures.
Thanks again Tony for educating a newbie about the photo function!
David

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
I've been doing a LOT of freeway driving lately; 250 miles on the weekend. Oil consumption is down: <0.25L/2500miles!
MPG is also UP: Just spot checked 150miles on a full tak, topped off and showed 48.9MPG! Best so far! Also, had near perfect driving conditions: 65-70F, minimal traffic which maximized cruise control at 75MPH!

Tony

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
That is almost the best you can do. At 65 mph the best I've gotten is ~51 mpg. Congrats on your project's progression!

Now not to highjack, but I have a question about the front seat. In my recent gtg with another member I noted that my front seat isn't the same as what is in a B4V (I have a B4). I literally have to rock the seat backwards, which is accomplished by pushing your shoulder back, to get the locking mechanism for the position adjustment to engage. I've taken the seat out and this operation appears to be by design because I cannot see anything that has worn out or that is missing.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks!

I have not had the front seats apart...haven't had the need.

You may try cleaning the mechanism with brake-cleaner, then lubing with either Silicone spray lube or spray white lithium grease.

Tony

Digital Corpus

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'97 B4 w/ 236K mi body, 46K mi soul
Oh, they move just fine. It's not that they stick, but the holes for the lock mechanism are lower on the guide that where the mechanism is. Rocking the seat backwards brings the hole and the lock into alignment.

Redlabel6

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta, 2005 Passat
There should be a nylon glide on the top of the center rail. It may be worn out or missing. That would cause the front of the seat to be too low.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Recent developments:
1) Passenger door latch failed. Can't open the door from outside; inside handle works. New latch to be replaced in a few days.
2) New ignition lock cylinder installed. Also replaced ignition switch (2nd time), just because I was in there and didn't want to have issues in a few months, having to do it again.
3) Airbag clockspring broke while replacing ignition switch. Dumb installer :rolleyes:! Bought a used wheel assy...broke that one too! At least I have a spare airbag! :eek: Not sure what happened there!?!?! Have a new VW clockspring to install sometime this weekend.
4) 10k oil change...moved to 5W40 (was using 5W30)...cold start valvetrain noise seems to have reduced. We'll see, as the oil wears.
5) Ordered an Evo skid plate; moving to a rural area. On backorder:mad:.
6) Added Euro headlight switch, wire, and bulbs for rear fogs. Nice addition. Actually used it to subtly get someone off my rear while on the freeway last week. ;)
7) Had to go through the AC system again. When you do this, MAKE SURE TO USE A REPUTABLE SOURCE. Short version: Last summer the AC clutch died, and they replaced in just within the warranty period. Their installer left too much slack in the wire, such that over the winter, the wire was cut by the pulley. They would not stand behind their work. So...$400 and an afternoon later, I have icy AC again!

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Finally replaced the Pass side door latch mechanism. Someone in this car's past really mangled the 5.5mm adjustment bolt. Why can't people use proper tools, or find a mechanic? Oh, well, it's a rhetorical question.

Also received and installed the Evo skid plate. That was an interesting install. Actually done in <30 minutes. Seems quite solid. The front mounts seem like they would come loose, when removing the skid plate. We'll see when I change the oil in a few months.

I also have a few pics of replacing the airbag controller to share. I'll post those in a separate thread.

Tony

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 passat tdi wagon, 97 F-150 XLT 4x4, 99.5 Mk4 Jetta VR6/5M
Keep going Tony..still beats a car payment, and whats really out there that can get 50mpg's anyway.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Keep going Tony..still beats a car payment, and whats really out there that can get 50mpg's anyway.
Yeah, all our vehicles are paid off, which is a really big help, while the wife is out of work.

As far as 50mpg...In the summer with heavy AC usage, I'm down to 38-39MPG. In the winter, It'll get back up to ~43.

Tony

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
I know the temp is cookin' down there ,its been very hot and humid up here this summer and have used the AC more often lately and have the roof racks on now so yesterday I filled up to check mpg's and milage was 43 per gallon this time. Using the AC eats more fuel for sure,,TC

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Latest updates:
Lost 1 bolt out of the rear skid plate mount. Replaced with grade 5, and loctite. So far, no issues.

Also, got permission to buy ecodes. FINALLY got them in, after nearly 8 weeks! Sometimes, I hate European purchases! In addition, I had to spend $78 on bulbs! Apparently customs likes to remove the bulbs. :rolleyes:

I'll know more about the pattern, after it gets dark. Need about 30 minutes!

WHAT A PATTERN! The low beams give a good broad pattern while giving really good distance! The hi beams give a corridor directly ahead, and slightly to the left, yet giving just enough light to the side to still see the road.

Are they worth the wait? NO...I NEEDED THEM SOONER!

Tony

Last edited:

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Do the relay mod so you can run low, high and fogs at the same time. That's what I did and it really sheds some light on the situation.

jollyGreenGiant

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS ( my 5th TDI ), 03 Eurovan GLS - VR6 :(
Basically you remove the headlight relay and add 2 jumpers. Does away with all that fogs off on high-beam nonsense as well as allows both low and high on at the same time. I've never had any issues with it on mine. I also put some LED citylight bulbs in the e-codes as well when my normals went bad and they work well.

The rear-fog install is pretty easy on a B4 too, you don't need to run a wire to the back, it's all done near the central electrics module.

Edit#1 Relay Mod Link:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?965205-jumpers-for-fog-light-relay

Edit #2 Rear Fog Link:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=80638

Last edited:

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does away with all that fogs off on high-beam nonsense as well as allows both low and high on at the same time.
I do get annoyed with that on my Dually.

I also put some LED citylight bulbs in the e-codes as well when my normals went bad and they work well.
I've been toying with that mod. Time & Money....

The rear-fog install is pretty easy on a B4 too, you don't need to run a wire to the back, it's all done near the central electrics module.
I did that, back in January. I've used it a couple times on the freeway to get tailgaters off my back. I also use it when there's a dust storm or heavy rain, as we don't get much fog in the desert.

Thanks for the pointers on the hi/low beam mods. I'll look into that, when I get a little time, probably around the holidays!

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
40k miles and all is well. Changed oil & filters.

Welded hitch together & installed.

Found a useful thread for reference, Battery 'T' bolt PN link.

Tony

Rattler05.5

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta 5m; For sale
Recent developments:

6) Added Euro headlight switch, wire, and bulbs for rear fogs. Nice addition. Actually used it to subtly get someone off my rear while on the freeway last week. ;)
Tony
Tony,
Can you share where you found the euro light switch. I have been looking through all of the normal places and can't seem to find it.

Got any pics of your hitch installed?

I appreciate your help!
Rattler05.5

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Tony,
Can you share where you found the euro light switch. I have been looking through all of the normal places and can't seem to find it.
FYI...you only need the euro switch if you want to run front AND rear fog lights. I've used the rear fogs, like a brake light switch, to get people to safely back off / stop tailgating me.

There is a user, IIRC 'torsten', on the vortex that I bought mine from.

Got any pics of your hitch installed?
It looks like crazyquantumman's hitch...only his welding is MUCH nicer than mine. I'm not too worried, since I plan on using the Passat only as a yard tug.

I appreciate your help!
You bet! That's what the tdiclub is all about!

Tony

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
guge from vwvortex can get them too. Just been having trouble with euro shipping because of the terrorist alert. Been waiting on something for a month now that's been at US customs. I'll delete this after a while to not muddy your thread Tony =)

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jeremy, No worries!

I hear you on the shipping, my ecodes took almost 6 weeks to get to the US. And, that was before the intercontinental shipping issue.

Tony

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Tony,

How about posting some recent pics of your Passat. You have done so much work on it I am sure there are many like myself who would like a pictorial update!

Happy new year!

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well...nothing really visually appealing has been done to the car. It still has the faded green, clear coat peeling paint and dent in the left rear quarter. I suppose I could take a pic of the skid plate and hitch. :rolleyes:

Tony

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Latest update:
60K TB completed.

I also changed the Alternator form fixed to Clutch pulley, Gates PN 37010P - Can be had for $65 on Amazon! You will need Metalnerd's alternator tool set to install it. I have already noticed that the serpentine belt tensioner moves VERY little, compared to before it shook like it had the DT's!

I may have to change the crank pulley in short order though. It appears the timing is moving +/-3 degrees. I need to do a little research.

Tony

BolaB4V

Veteran Member
TDI
Another TB ehh? Youll be with that car tilll you reach the other side. GL
Just passing through...

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Another TB ehh? Youll be with that car tilll you reach the other side..
The other side of what? :eek:

I told someone at work last week that, "I've been to the light...I came back!"
We had a good laugh.

Tony

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Great work Tony. I know what you've been going through and until I get some good feedback on the 2012 6 speed passat, I'll keep tinkering too. I have a question about your oil consumption: What did you actually do to get it down so low? Mine is using about .75l/1000 miles. The car is strong with little leakage (maybe a quarter size spot overnight parked) and no smoke. Also, I finally ditched using the B4 seats. I'm 6'2" and the backs of the seats are too short and just don't work. I put a set of 2000 Taurus seats in it (power driver) and it is truly a different car now.