Another B5 Passat Crank No Start Issue

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 5-Speed, 01 Jetta 5-Speed, 02 Jetta 5-Speed Conversion, 04 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat Wagon
I searched quite a while and all the TDI no start issues resembling mine either had "no glow plug light" or "flashing glow plug light".

Here we go:

05 Passat TDI
Ran just fine...until it didn't.

Usually fires up with a bump of the key. The last time it ran, I bumped the key to the start position and released, but it didn't fire. Tried it a 2nd time and after turning over a couple times it fired up. I backed it out of my garage, shut it off and it hasn't fired since.

When I turn the key to the on position, I see all the normal lights on the dash. No CEL. Glow plug light comes on for a couple seconds like normal and I can hear the lift pump (new this year). When I try to start it, it turns over fine (good battery) but it never hits. Doesn't even act like it wants to start. FWIW, timing belt was replaced 15k miles ago by TDIClub approved mechanic. ;)

I'll check the anti shutter valve when I get home this evening. Also, I'll put another fuel filter on it, just to rule that out although the current filter is recent.

I have a couple more TDI Passats, so I can swap some parts (relays, etc...) to help troubleshoot. Just need a little guidance.

Thank You,
-Jason

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 5-Speed, 01 Jetta 5-Speed, 02 Jetta 5-Speed Conversion, 04 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat 5-Speed Conversion, 05 Passat Wagon
Changed fuel filter. Same problem.
-Jason

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I searched quite a while and all the TDI no start issues resembling mine either had "no glow plug light" or "flashing glow plug light".

Here we go:

05 Passat TDI
Ran just fine...until it didn't.

Usually fires up with a bump of the key. The last time it ran, I bumped the key to the start position and released, but it didn't fire. Tried it a 2nd time and after turning over a couple times it fired up. I backed it out of my garage, shut it off and it hasn't fired since.

When I turn the key to the on position, I see all the normal lights on the dash. No CEL. Glow plug light comes on for a couple seconds like normal and I can hear the lift pump (new this year). When I try to start it, it turns over fine (good battery) but it never hits. Doesn't even act like it wants to start. FWIW, timing belt was replaced 15k miles ago by TDIClub approved mechanic. ;)

I'll check the anti shutter valve when I get home this evening. Also, I'll put another fuel filter on it, just to rule that out although the current filter is recent.

I have a couple more TDI Passats, so I can swap some parts (relays, etc...) to help troubleshoot. Just need a little guidance.

Thank You,
-Jason
Did you follow the no start thread. If so, tell us what you followed and the outcome. If not, use it.

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you follow the no start thread. If so, tell us what you followed and the outcome. If not, use it.
I have a full fuel filter. I disconnected the fuel line going into the filter and fuel comes out when I turn the key on.
I checked the acv and its open when the key is on.
I changed the 219 relay near the ecu.
OBD works... I'd start there.
I'm not familiar with vcds, but I plugged it in and there are no codes. I did use it to turn the lift pump on and purge the fuel system.

Still no start.

-Jason

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Look in the data blocks for RPM during cranking. If you have that, then the ECU should have everything it needs to start and run provided it has fuel and the mechanical bits are intact (like the timing belt).

1.4TDI PD

TDI
2.5TDI V6, 3.3TDI V8,3.0TDI V6,1.9TDI PD100
Check the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor if one of them doesn't work properly the car will not start.

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
Great thanks.

Additional info:
The longer it sits, the harder it is to start. If I drive it daily it starts great. If it sits a day it turns over a few times before starting. If it sits a couple of days I have to cycle the key a few times and it'll start.
New lift pump 1500mi ago.
-Jason

oilhammer

TDI
Sounds to me like you have a loss of fuel prime in that situation, or perhaps the tandem pump is bad.

nomorotors

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds to me like you have a loss of fuel prime...
That's definitely the way it's acting.
If the tandem pump has failed should I see fuel seepage?

Also, can I bypass the lift pump, do a diesel purge and see if it starts?
-Jason

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
I would say loss of fuel prime means air is getting in somewhere, so it stands to reason fuel could be leaking out. However, if it is a tiny leak, and there really is not much pressure on the fuel system, it is possible to not see any leaks. At least, that happens on VE cars. Cannot say I have ever seen it on a PD, and I have never seen a bad lift pump on a BHW (on BEWs and BRMs, yes, lots).

You can remove the thermo-tee on the fuel filter and see if it is full of fuel. If there is a loss of prime inside the head, where the tube feeds the injectors, then you'd see the crankcase oil slowly being fueled up, but it may not be very noticeable at the amounts we may be talking.