Fuel Door Freezes Shut

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5-speed, 2015 Golf S 6-speed manual; 2015 Golf Sportwagen SEL 6-speed manual
Is there an easy fix when the fuel door doesn’t open because it’s frozen stuck? A spray maybe?

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I used a hair dryer and it worked. But is there something faster and simer, like lock de-icer?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
bottle of isopropyl alcohol and just dump it on?

Also you sure your door lock isn't messed up? those stupid actuators fail and fail locked.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
There is a lock actuator, that once the car is locked, it won't allow you to press in and open the fuel door. If you disconnect the actuator you'll never even knew it was there.

It will fail, just a mater of time, our '12 Passat failed at around 4 year and 60K on the clock. On our alltrack I coded the car to not auto lock at 10MPH, I figured it'd add another 2-3 years onto the actuator.

I'd recommend disconnecting the lock actuator now instead of when it fails at -5 degrees and you have 1/8th of tank left. Haven't seen any DIY of how to get at the connector but its there.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
A car wash that sprays warm water could probably thaw it out. You'd want to open and close it before it freezes though.

As for the prevention, not sure. Maybe spraying some WD-40 to displace the water.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, but if it snows overnight or while you are at work, there’s no time to do that. Very poor design. My two mk4s didn’t have this problem.

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
It shouldn't be an issue if it snows. I haven't had this issue and we've had a bunch of snow.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Yes, but if it snows overnight or while you are at work, there’s no time to do that. Very poor design. My two mk4s didn’t have this problem.
Like you say........it's a poor design. The first time I had the same issue a hair dryer solved it. The second time it happened I had to pry the fuel door open with a screwdriver and broke it. Luckily the car was still under warranty and the dealer replaced the broken fuel door and the original activator for free. I have had no issues with the fuel door not opening since. I don't know what magic fix you can carry in your pocket if it happens again away from home and you need to refuel the car right now. I know that is not the answer you are looking for but all I can relate is my past experience.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I had an '09 JSW TDI for almost 9 years here in Alaska and never once had problems with the actuator or icing. Try WD-40 initially to displace the water, preferably when the temp is above freezing. If you continue to have problems, ask a friend with a garage if you can borrow the garage for a bit while you and he share some beers and good stories. I've let friends defrost cars in may garage when they're having problems. Still my car will sometimes be parked out for a couple of days while we ski into a cabin or do winter camping. No problems with the fuel door. Good luck.

Sunnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
I had an '09 JSW TDI for almost 9 years here in Alaska and never once had problems with the actuator or icing. Try WD-40 initially to displace the water, preferably when the temp is above freezing. If you continue to have problems, ask a friend with a garage if you can borrow the garage for a bit while you and he share some beers and good stories. I've let friends defrost cars in may garage when they're having problems. Still my car will sometimes be parked out for a couple of days while we ski into a cabin or do winter camping. No problems with the fuel door. Good luck.
The 2015 are different and mine froze during the last two weeks. I was able to
get it open but it was annoying. I'm still not sure what part is freezing but I will probably spray the whole thing down to try and stop it from freezing again.

viking427

Veteran Member
TDI
VW
Wd-40 freezes at -50f outside the can, so yes it works in jam :D , bit it's not the best. Dry film lubricant sprays should coat the internal mechanisms enough to protect it from freezing when water enters and temps drop. Both graphite and Teflon type dry film lubricants leave their protective film behind after the propellant evaporates, which is how they're designed to work.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
spray some silicone lube (labeled as dry, non-sticky) all over the mechanism, and operate a couple times until you know it is well coated with the stuff.

this should help.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Which brings us full circle back to: How do I unfreeze it fast or prevent it freezing in the first place without a garage?
It could be the lock actuator freezing locked, the actuator is inside the latch mechanism. With the door open you can play with the latch mechanism, see it rotate as you push in, once its in, thats when the lock actuator can be activated by the BCM. If it's never locked then you'd never have an issue.

Just a thought.

That and it'll be 40+ degrees in a few days.

Mass. Wine Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Michael, no problem. I’m looking for the truth, not what I want to hear. Your comments are helpful, as are everyone’s.

I’m a mechanical klutz. The actuator is located inside where? When the fuel door opens I don’t see much.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
when you open the fuel door, there is a black plastic thing about the size of the end of a marker or large crayon. to the left of the fuel fill cap, attached to the car, not the door.

if you push, it in, and let go, it should stay in. do it again, and it should stay out a bit.

needs to be out when you close the door. since the end rotates to lock the door into place.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
when you open the fuel door, there is a black plastic thing about the size of the end of a marker or large crayon. to the left of the fuel fill cap, attached to the car, not the door.

if you push, it in, and let go, it should stay in. do it again, and it should stay out a bit.

needs to be out when you close the door. since the end rotates to lock the door into place.

the lock actuator is behind this piton.

here's an fleebay pick of the part number as you can see the lock mechanism is behind the filler shield.

https://www.ebay.com/i/232505661902?chn=ps

if you disconnect that connector, the fuel door will never lock

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
One more idea

Until you find a good (permanent) solution

Fill you tank when it is half full -- on warmer days.

Good luck