Passenger Seat Weight Sensor too Sensitive

Jlw0013

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE Manual
Has anyone else had an issue on here with the sensor in the passenger being overly sensitive. I usually set small stuff on my seat but I'm noticing now that if I set something even like a 20 oz. bottle of soda on the seat, the car wants me to buckle it in. I used to set my laptop on it without an issue but now it seems to be becoming more and more sensitive. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated :)

andyrooski17

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
I put my backpack and such on the passenger seat all the time, never noticed an issue.

You could try put a piece of sturdy cardboard or plastic across the raised edges of the seat, that might give you a platform that won't trip the sensor.

Beyond that, you could complain to the dealer, i'm not sure if they'll play ball or not.

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
I've notice me this if I out my phone in there sometimes..but always when I'm delivering pizzas if I have more than 1-2 items
Phones will always cause this, especially if charging due to the electrical field interfering with the sensor (which is not pressure based, but inductive)

Jlw0013

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE Manual
Phones will always cause this, especially if charging due to the electrical field interfering with the sensor (which is not pressure based, but inductive)

You are absolutely correct! I didn't even consider the fact that I put my phone on charge and set it on the edge of my seat. I did some experimenting this morning and sure enough, if I sat my phone down I had the warning. Pick it up and it went away. Set it down without the charger and no warning. Plug the charger in while it sat in the same spot and within a few seconds it came back. Thanks for all your help man I really appreciate it! :)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
If it's not registering weight correctly, it could be a real safety issue if someone that doesn't weigh much sits in that seat. The airag could deploy at full force instead of the lower force that is required for lighter/smaller people.:eek:

Make sure "safety issue" is part of your conversation with your dealer.

Last edited:

MattDeZ

TDI
2015 GSW TDI S M6
Every day I put my backpack on my front seat (laptop, full 32oz water bottle, and misc stuff) and I've never had the car ask me to buckle it in. All I get is the warning light telling me the air bag is off.

rc74racer

TDI
2015 GSW SE TDI
I put my phone on charge just about every time I get in the car and place it on the passenger seat with no issues. I also put my full hydration pack for my MTB on the passenger seat as well as my laptop with no issues. I have put several bags of groceries there as well without issue. It sounds to me like something is wrong. My sensor does work, as it does go off when my GF fails to buckle herself in time, just not for my phone or light weight items such as the ones listed above.

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
I've had the issue with the phone, but not consistently. At first I thought it was my driver belt, especially when releasing and re-engaging temporarily stopped it.