jetta 2006 dsg transmission

ludiboris

TDI
06jetta
hello everyone im pretty new here I had recently bought a jetta 2006 tdi dsg tranny and car was doing fine for a couple months and than boom all of a sudden my tranny went out while I was driving. I took it to ammco for a diagnosis, and they told me that I need a new transmission because the reverse is totally messed up. my question is can I use a transmission from any other year car as long as its a 1.9L car or does it have to be strictly 2006 tdi dsg tranny? rebuild will cost me 4000$ and I just don't have that kind of money to spend at the moment. any help will be appreciated. thank you

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
These transmissions rarely fail, and I am not sure I would trust AAMCO's diagnosis.

Is reverse the only thing that doesn't work? Are there any fault codes in the M-unit?

That transmission IS specific to ONLY that car. 2005.5 and 2006 Jetta TDI sedan ONLY. And there are two different codes, too, although they are interchangeable.

ludiboris

TDI
06jetta
well the car goes into "limp mode" it only drives in first gear and when I go downhill I put it in neutral and it switches into the highest gear according to the speed and than it stays in that gear until I come to a complete stop. the code that I got under transmission with the vag reader was "18115" but googling that gave me multiple code issuses so I wasn't sure. aamco did tell me there was a huge leak on the side of the transmission and that they sealed it up to test the transmission and to figure out what is wrong

oilhammer

TDI
I'm curious what the leak is/was, and what they did to fix it. Also, they *should* have had a DTC list on your work order and that may give some better description. VCDS will also give a short definition too.

ludiboris

TDI
06jetta
they said they used some silicon type thing to seal it off. il be picking up the car after work today and getting all diagnosis paperwork that they have. il post up here the complete list when I get it. as for the leak it was transmission fluid that had leaked out.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
OOOO!
I hope that it was not a prior flywheel disaster.
I just dealt with a DSG tranny where the flywheel blew up and carved a trough in the bell housing. The damage created a small hole to the innards by the RH axle flange boss. Fluid was dripping from inside the bell hosing out of the bottom openings where it meets the engine.

Fortunately, I was able to get the hole welded and area reinforced by Matt Whitbread and his magic TIG welder.

Before

After

On the road again~~~

Last edited:

ludiboris

TDI
06jetta
nice!!!! well il be picking my car up In 4 hours. aamco said they tested it and it doesn't switch gear after patching the hole up and adding wv tranny fluid. soooooo once I get the diagnosis report il see what my next move is

ludiboris

TDI
06jetta
so oilhammer i got my car back today and this is what they wrote. "code 18115- interference in mechatronic unit module. p1707 mechanical malfunction intermittent" soo any clue as to what i can do about this? thanks

oilhammer

TDI
I cannot say I have ever seen that particular DTC before, but it could mean you just need a new M-unit. However, I am still curious about what this ATF leak they fixed was. If there was a hole actually punched through the case, then the trans is almost certainly broken and I can't say I would know what would have caused that.

ludiboris

TDI
06jetta
i see, well they told me there was a leak on the side panel and trany fluid was leaking really fast out of it when fluids were put, they did not say how big the hole was, also theybstated that the car will not go in reverse at all.