Tire wear on Q5's, what are owners seeing?

SummiTDI

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
So asking all newer Q5 owners. How are them tires wearing? How many miles you have on them and rotation habits? Just curious how long mine are going to last.

fowvey

Veteran Member
TDI
(2014 Jetta TDI DSG) -Gone, but not forgotten, 2014 Audi A6 TDI
Got 16k on the A6 and the tires are ~halfway worn. ContiProContact's, 19". Rotate every 5k.

SummiTDI

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
We'll I must admit I was hoping for more out of those conties. Hopefully the Nokians will last longer. My older xc70 burnt through tires about every 30k(sucked)

Last edited:

Ashleigh2006

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI and 2001 Jetta TDI (278k miles)
Air them up to 40 psi, they will last a lot longer. I'm at 15k and my tires are still looking brand new :)

SoCal Buff

TDI
Audi Q5 TDI
I am at 30k miles on my original continental tires. Fronts are wearing down but rear are good. They will rotate again at my 35k service.

Rx Burner

TDI
Q7 S line Plus
Our Q7 Tdi loves to eat tires!! Went up to a 295/40/21 and was religious about air pressure and rotation but damn...Anyone have any info on Atturo AZ850? crap?

hex_915

TDI
12' TDI Sedan
I see nobody is mentioning an alignment, I'd say about 90% of Tiguans/Touaregs we would CPO at my old VW store would have an alignment issue, and most of them were under 20k miles. Wouldn't hurt to get it checked

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I purchased mine with 20k miles and it already had newer tires on it. The tire pressure on the door label is too low. The SQ5 with the same tires requires more pressure and it is lighter.

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
OEM Goodyears Doing Fine

Just had the 35K-mileservice on the 2014 Q5. Did a tire rotation and 4-wheel alignment for the first time. Service tech said I had a solid 10K-miles left on the OEM Goodyear tires. Like these tires, quiet and handle well. Tech recommended Michelin Latitude Tour HPs as replacement, fortunately, Costco has them. Overall City/Hwy mpg: 30. Love this car!!

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
That's encouraging. I have Goodyear Excellence 20 inch. Going to be expensive to replace. I may buy a set with the Goodwill money. I run winter tires, so that will save some wear. I'd love to get to 40K miles or more.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
Mine had replacement tires on it when I bought it at 20k miles. They're nitto motivo and at 13k miles one tire has 6/32 remaining and the others are at about 3 or 4/32. They were at 9/32 when I purchased it.

Last edited:

styles9797

TDI
'14 Audi Q5 TDI
I just did my 35k service as well. Gonna need new tires before Christmas. Fronts are 4/32 and rear are 3/32. Original Conti tires, rotated at 5k, 15k, 25k. Aire pressure set to 38psi at about 25k. I didnt bother rotating them this time around since I will be getting new ones shortly. Looking at the Perelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires as a replacement.

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Just at the point now where we need to replace the factory Michelin Tires on the Q5. We have 80K Km on the vehicle and id say 55K Km (About 34K Miles) were on the Michelins. The rest of the time we used snows.

Kevin

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
We've got 36k miles on the OE Continental tires on our 2015 Q5. They've been rotated as needed. Will need to get fresh tire within 5 - 7k miles. Inflation always kept at recommendation for Normal Load (from Owner's Manual) + 1psi.

SigQ5

TDI
Q5
So asking all newer Q5 owners. How are them tires wearing? How many miles you have on them and rotation habits? Just curious how long mine are going to last.
We have a 2015 Q5 TDI with about 21,000 miles. The tires look great with seemingly Limited and even wear.
We rotate them every 5-10,000 miles and keep pressure at higher end of range. In all fairness, most of the miles were put on highway driving.

richh001

TDI
Audi Q5 tdi
I got 50,000 miles out of the original Continentals (19") on my 2014 Q5 TDI. As per owners manual, they were rotated only once at 5k miles. Very even wear too. I consider my driving style "moderately spirited" also. Replaced with Conti TrueContact.

ksa63

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 "Technik" TDI
Replace with Yokohama Geolander?

We use winter tires for about 1/3 of the current 85,000km on our 2014 Q5 TDI. So about 60k km or 40k Miles were run on the original Michelin Latitude Tour HP Tires. There is still some usable tread but for safety and load capability I am going to replace the Michelins this spring.

I tow a 28' Airstream trailer with the Q5 and so I want a tire with some load carrying capability as well as a fairly stiff sidewall to minimize roll. I am currently looking at the Yokohama Geolander GO55 or the Geolander A/T GO15. Both have their strong points. I am leaning toward the GO55 as I mostly travel highways but it would be nice to have the GO15 if I was doing a a trip where the roads are less than ideal, thinking Alaska. Both tires come in the 235/60R18 107V XL size that I am looking to purchase.
Does anyone have any thoughts on the above tires or have ideas for any others that I should be looking at?

Thanks

SigQ5

TDI
Q5

Our 2015 Q 5 TDI has about 25,000 miles, and the tires look in great shape. I expect another 25,000 minimum.

About 2/3 of mileage has been on highway. We align front and rear and rotate tires around every 10,000 miles.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
The tires on my wife's Q5 have about 24k miles on them and the edges on the front are worn. She said that it's hydroplaned a few times recently. I bought another set of wheels yesterday and I'm going to swap them out after I get tires installed.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Goodwill Money

I have about 20K on my tires, although I run winter tires also, so still plenty of tread. They are Goodyear Excellence. I just used my $1000 of Goodwill money to buy a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS06. I'll keep them in the basement until it's time to replace the Goodyears. The Goodwill cards were set to expire end of January.:eek:

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I read that, but I didn't want to gamble with $1000! Anyway, I've got a nice set of tires for when the time comes. Seemed like a good use of the money. I've already got Audi Care.

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
OE Goodyear Tires. . . .

. . . at 38K-miles with one rotation and balance. Expect another 10K-miles. Good tire.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
My wife's Q5 has 24k miles and we had new wheels and tires installed last week. The front tires were worn on the outer edge, but I think it was due to the previous owner keeping the tires under inflated. The tire pressure shown on the sticker in the door is really low.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah. I tend to run my tires a couple psi above the door recommendations. I also put on a set of winter wheels and rotate the summer wheels each spring. Hoping to get a few years out of them.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
I was told to fill the tires to 80% of the max psi listed on the side of the tire. Both of our vehicles have the same tires so they're inflated to 40 psi. The owners manual has the SQ5 tires listed at 39 psi so it should be fine.

CHDriver

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Q5 Tires & MPG

Got 47,500-miles on the OEM Goodyears! About 40/60 city/highway driving. good all-around tire and quiet. Replaced at Costco with Michelin Latitude HPs. At 52,000-miles I'm pleased with the ride - quiet and grippy. Still on original brakes and rotors but expect to replace all at 55K service (estimated cost at dealer $1,200!).

Overall MPG per Fuelly, since new, 30.2!! Love this car and dread the diesel fix!