Warning About 2014 Q5 TDI Prestige S-line

bhsramz

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta; 2005 JSW; 2010 Touareg w/ Air
Hello Fellow TDIers,

Just wanted to post this cautionary tale for anyone shopping for a Q5 TDI. If you are, and happen upon this post, pay attention! If you bought the car described below, and the HPFP failed, read on and you will learn why.

So, I came upon a 2014 Q5 TDI Prestige S-line (VIN: WA1WMAFP1EA065556) for sale that was fully loaded with just under 65K miles on it. I was interested, and it was located nearby. I put in an offer, and after the weekend I called in on Monday and negotiated a price with the Sales Director. I gave them my card number to put $500 down, which they never processed for some reason. Of course, I wanted a TDI Guru to check it out, so I made arrangements for the vehicle to be taken to one on Tuesday.

My brother was on the way to pick up the car and take it to the shop Tuesday morning when the salesman called and said it wouldn't be ready until later in the day. The reason was that they had sent a porter to add some fuel, and he had pumped GAS. He then started it, and drove it about a mile back to the dealer's lot. They dropped the tank, drained it, and "flushed the fuel lines with diesel." They did not tell me how they flushed the lines. They claimed to have replaced the filter as well, but at that point, the gasoline had probably already made it all the way through the system.

The sales staff acted strangely, at first minimizing the mistake. They told me only $5 was pumped until I asked to see their Shell card records, and it was later put at $15 of gas. The tank was likely empty too. After talking to the GM, I got the sense their intent was to either sell it to someone else without disclosing what had happened, or dump it in an auction. I told him I would make sure a TDI club member would not be duped, which is why I am posting the story.

They seemed to think that the fair-market price I had agreed to would still be acceptable to another buyer, even if they also knew the car had been mis-fueled and run. I told them I would not buy the car at the same price if they were not going to replace the whole fuel system or give me a warranty. Since they were not willing to revise terms at all, I passed on the car. They maintained nothing was wrong with the it, and that my mechanic, or the Audi dealer, could inspect it. Of course, I called an Audi dealer when I got the news and they said that since the car was started, the entire fuel system needed to be replaced and the tank would need to be thoroughly cleaned.

I hope you didn't buy this car, but if you did you probably were never told what happened. If that is the case, and the HPFP failed, I suggest you contact an attorney.