New timing belt parts degrade sitting?

DRP67207

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 1999 Golf TDI
Hello,

I just bought an IDParts high mileage timing belt kit that someone had not used, and when it arrived, I realized that it had originally been ordered back in 2015. Parts like the bearings and rollers and water pump I can't imagine degrading just sitting there, but I've seen discussion that the belts themselves have a miles/time interval because they can degrade over time. So, is it worth buying fresher belts and/or any other bits, or is that just overly cautious?

Thanks for your thoughts.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
General opinion here is that timing belt components are good for their service life or about 10 years, whatever comes first. Yours is half through that life. If you don't think you'll drive through the interval (or sell the car) before 5 years are up you'd be better off with a new kit.

When timing belt systems fail, it's rarely the belt. Usually a failed bearing or water pump.

ToxicDoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, S7, .216
I can't imagine the bearings/rollers degrading at all if not in use and away from heat/moisture.

The belt, however, if another story. Even if kept cool/dry and away from UV light, it may still have some degradation from atmospheric oxygen and moisture, but there's no way to predict how much/how little. It would be a personal choice, of course, but I'd use a new belt and the stored rollers.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Water pump and belt are subject as the pump has seals and the belt is a rubber based item. Both are degrading over time and honestly not worth the risk. Roller probably is fine. The question you have to ask yourself is
"Are you willing to risk totalling a TDI engine over $100 bucks?"

It probably is fine, but it's not worth the risk to me.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You can buy just a fresh belt and water pump O ring from idparts if you want.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
as the pump has seals
pump seal is silicon carbide ring running on a ceramic disc
however the grease in the bearings will dry out

rubber in the belt doesn't seem to dry out any more, the last major manu that used rubber that actually dried out and cracked in their timing belts was toyota. Everyone else has been using shelf-stable synthetic rubber for years and years now.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Belt in my wagon was done in 13 and then the car sat unused for 5.5 years, there was rust on the pullies and the belt squeaked on the tensioner flanges for a while but now it acts normal. When I wrote the service interval on the timing cover I did deduct 15k miles so that I do it a little earlier though.

DRP67207

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 1999 Golf TDI
Thank you all for your thoughts on the matter. I think I am going to order a new belt and probably water pump and thermostat o-rings, and use the rest of the components in the kit.

Thanks!