How to properly warm up a TDI

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Check on local laws - Kansas has a 5 minute limit and Missouri a 10 minute limit - this was just on our local morning news ! (Kansas can have fines to $10000 , depending on circumstances !)
In North Carolina, you can be ticketed for a running unattended vehicle. I don't think there is anything preventing you from sitting in the car while idling.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Thanks for this information, but, I’m not particularly computer savvy. Just enough to cruise the forums, and find parts. I’m very hesitant to go for this gizmo, if someone in central Florida has one that would be willing to hold my hand, I would love to learn how to operate and adjust things.
On your car, the timing belt is 120k miles or 10 years (IIRC). No need to replace it at 30k service. There are a lot of things that the VAGCOM will make it easier to do. Just read through the other threads and then see if you can find someone close to you that has one or someone willing to help walk you through the service items.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I believe VW specifies the timing belt interval at 130k miles with no time limit. Obviously there is some time related degradation, but the manufacturer doesn't specify anything in that regard.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I get its RPM up until it is firing all 4. If it is lumpy, one jug isn't firing, and I don't want to start filling it up with liquid fuel so as not to wash off the oil. Once it is smooth I leave...gently, and only a little boost, nothing approaching redline. By the time I need more, I am off the gravel and it is happy to oblige.
cheers,
Douglas

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
I start and get myself situated, buckled up and will toss it into D once my bluetooth audio connects, takes ~30 seconds give or take.

Now if the windows are frosted over I will start it up, get the aux heater going towards the windshield, heated seat on, rear defrost on then spend ~1 minute scraping the frost before I hop in and go on my way.

Fortunately the CR-TDI does a cold warmup phase like a regen cycle that lasts for quite some time (DPF blow torch mode?). Our first "cold snap" ~23 degree morning my temp gauge hit normal ~2.5 miles into my 3.5 mile commute and there was plenty of heat by mile 1.5 - this is just at surface street speeds of 35-40MPH with a handful of stoplights in between.