09A no Reverse!!

r3gill

TDI
2004 BEW Golf, 2006 Jetta Brm, 2014 CC TDI Cjaa 6 speed Manual
Looking for some opinions for helping my dad fix his 2004 golf tdi with auto trans. All forward gears work fine but no reverse. When I put the car in reverse its kind of gives a thudd and wants to move but doesnt go anywhere. Checked the codes and found none on trans or engine. Any ideas?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
1st step is to drain the fluid, making sure the fill port is removed first, collect all the fluid into a clean container and then filter that fluid with a coffee filter after you dilute the trans fluid you collected with some gasoline or mineral spirits or break cleaner, whatever you have laying around or cheep, clean what you filtered and report back if you get anything larger than just a fine dust like metallic shavings. Brass is bad, large metal is bad.
If all that checks out, fill with appropriate fluid after you change out the valves. You will have to pull the pan for all of this.
If you do find large chunks of metal, stop and have a trans repair shop work on it or DIY it. you need a few specialty tools but its not something someone can handle if you have the brass for it and a decent auto repair knowledge.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
No chunks found in fluid after filtering it. Going to order ghe solenoid kit and will report back. Thanks everyone.
good, you were going to drain the fluid anyways to fix it so no harm done.
valve kit will do the trick

r3gill

TDI
2004 BEW Golf, 2006 Jetta Brm, 2014 CC TDI Cjaa 6 speed Manual
So replaced all 9 solenoids by removing the front end. Still same issue got forward gears and no reverse. Anything else i can try before pulling the trans?

Ypt

TDI
Sharan
So replaced all 9 solenoids by removing the front end. Still same issue got forward gears and no reverse. Anything else i can try before pulling the trans?
Hello friend,

did you solve your problem?

Im having same problem... and there isnt any error on vag com.

My gearbox is and 09B... dont know if there is any diferences on the solenoides.

Thanks