Ticking noise on ALH motor...

rallywagon

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta, '00 Jetta
Coasting downhill in gear. Computer pretty much cuts fuel. Over 10 years with 0W40 and no issues in 2 diesels and 2 gassers.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
nice!
little simple fixes

since posting in this thread I had another one where it was #1 intake, so I couldn't get the lifter out without removing the t-belt
decided to let it ride until the timing belt was due in 40k miles, and that was a mistake, 20k miles later that lifter that was clacking along shattered and ate the cam, valve, head, an injector and a piston.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
The history was learned when multiple engines during a particularly hot summer in TX, OK, AR and MO, I serviced several engines with seized #4 pistons,
always #1 and #4 it seems

Butted the end gap and broke the compression ring on #1 and slightly later #4 on my wagon. Had the head and pan off three times in 20k miles, really annoying stuff.
It's the intake manifold design that does it, majority of the air goes to #2 and #3, so 1 and 4 run hotter. Haven't gotten around to welding up a better intake top half for that car yet, but I'll get to it one of these days.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
If only... It's been years sitting on the CAD program. I need to get off my ass and do that intake project.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Yeah Frank….quit goofing off….🤣😉.
Only kidding😉.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
If only... It's been years sitting on the CAD program. I need to get off my ass and do that intake project.
I've just been sticking an air/water IC core into them, expanding out the 'box' portion a bit
figure the restriction of the IC core has to fix the charge distribution in a very brute force manner

kinda like those old dual-chamber intakes that breathe through a slot between the chambers

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
Isnt the BRM intake a significant improvement in flow and balance for these engines? I think I read something about that not too long ago.

J_dude

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 1.9l “Jedi”
From the Bentley:

I’m going to drag this thread up to the top again, when doing this check on the lifters, does the car *have* to be at operating temperature for definitive results?
Reason I ask is I checked mine while I had the valve cover off and about half of the lifters had about 1/8 inch of “squish”, the car hasn’t been started in a few months though.
Is this a problem?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I’m going to drag this thread up to the top again, when doing this check on the lifters, does the car *have* to be at operating temperature for definitive results?
Reason I ask is I checked mine while I had the valve cover off and about half of the lifters had about 1/8 inch of “squish”, the car hasn’t been started in a few months though.
Is this a problem?
well, oil prolly does drain outta the lifters over time, and oil is what makes hydraulics not squishy like pneumatics are