The 400k mile club!

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
And no stories to tell after so many miles?! ;)

jgerni

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2006 NB TDI
Just passed 400k miles in my 2001 Jetta TDI. I purchased in 2004 with 40k miles. Still has original clutch, turbo, injectors, IP, cam, wheel bearings etc. Drive 100+ miles per day. It's still getting 50mpg. Glow plugs haven't worked in years but I haven't had any problems starting in the winter. It's been in a semi heated garage most of it's life.

Hoping to get 500k out of her.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I'm at 404,000 miles, head gasket went. Was over pressuring coolant bowl .
Finally replaced head that only had 3 gp's as the 4th snapped 250,000 miles ago, new timing belt kit with all new rollers, metal WP, new shock dampener for serpentine belt and a new radiator as it was starting to leak.
Also replaced injectors with sprint 520's , my spare set.

On an impressive note, at this mileage I still have the original crosshatch marks on all four cylinder walls, I was quite impressed!

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
I'm at 404,000 miles, head gasket went. Was over pressuring coolant bowl .
Finally replaced head that only had 3 gp's as the 4th snapped 250,000 miles ago, new timing belt kit with all new rollers, metal WP, new shock dampener for serpentine belt and a new radiator as it was starting to leak.
Also replaced injectors with sprint 520's , my spare set.

On an impressive note, at this mileage I still have the original crosshatch marks on all four cylinder walls, I was quite impressed!

Are you adding ARP head studs? I did the same thing with my head around that 300,000 miles, I was actually lifting the head on high boost.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Naw, wasn't planning on changing the head to begin with .

BeetleGo

TDI
Do you have summer wheels for it? If so, consider taking glamour shots in the spring. The body looks like it’s in great shape!

Also, if you have 500+k, you should use the 500 club thread!:)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
After 17.5 years I saw this today:

Took me a little longer than others, probably in part because I've always owned at least one other car in the time I've had IBW. But it's still my daily.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You don't see many 400k mile cars that still look that nice. On to 500k.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)

Took me a little longer than others, probably in part because I've always owned at least one other car in the time I've had IBW. But it's still my daily.
Awesome!! Car still looks great! I just turned 30k in my JSW, got a long way to go

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Dang it you surpassed Tred. Congrats Peter. I hope we see IBW on 01-01-20.

BeetleGo

TDI
BravO! And it’s still tickin’! Congratulations!

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd

[emoji1533][emoji1533][emoji1533][emoji1533]congratulations peter.
Just in time for the snow day of the year huh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI

Awesome, I bet it looks amazing looking at it everyday when you start the car. I recently bought an 03 wagon with 356k with bad lifter and cam and I am planing to put in the 110k engine in it from my wrecked one thats totaled. Should I change the mileage on a cluster to reflect the engine or keep the current one to reflect the car and reach 400k sooner? Decisions decisions...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Truth is I'm on my second engine. After nearly 300K of tuned and modified, lots of dyno and track days, the original was worn out. Bought a new factory long block 5 years ago.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Peter I am curious about the bodywork you have had done on both the wagon and your red Golf, mainly with regards to the rocker issue cost. No body shops seem to want to mess with this around here, and my Golf needs some attention on the driver's side (passenger side is fine, I caught that in time).

I have a paint guy, but rust.... :eek:

PM me if you prefer.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It's a challenge. Here's how my passenger side rocker looked before the rust claim with VW:

And this is what it looked like once the body shop dug into it.

The rockers on the Golf were not as bad, but it need other repair to the bottom of the hatch and under some of the rear door weatherstripping.

I'm lucky to have a shop that will dig into this. The driver's side rocker is showing a little rust on my Wagon now, and I feel like at some point I'm going to have them dig into these again. In the meantime I coated the top of the rocker with epoxy and POR-15 to try and keep moisture from the inner fender from getting into the rocker. Don't know if that will help or not. And I'm (finally) religious about cleaning out the inner fenders periodically on all my MKIVs.

You might have to find a restoration shop There's got to be someone where you are who will do this.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Last night on the way home from work:

First and only owner, drove it off the dealer lot November 3, 2001. Original engine, but I am on my 3rd transmission.