Adblue tank removal

chattowntdi

TDI
‘15 golf 6mt Malone stage 2, Buzzken delete, '04 Jetta 5 speed (sold), '02 Jetta 5 speed (also sold)
Has anyone any insight as to removing the DEF tank from a '15 Golf? I have deleted all of the parts needed for the DEF and was just curious if it would be worth my time to remove the tank. I have looked on here as well as Google in general and haven't found anything out. I would say it would be a pain to get the line out from the tank to the engine compartment but otherwise wouldn't be too bad but then again I haven't looked at it really. I just figured someone might have removed one before and could chime in. Again, may not be worth fooling with but if it's not too much trouble I will yank that thing out of there. Anyone need an Adblue tank? :cool:

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
I would remove all that junk in a jiffy if I could convert the tank over to hold even more diesel! Currently I fill up 5 times a month to get to and from work, I would like to get more than 600 miles on a fill if possible. I drive A LOT.

chattowntdi

TDI
‘15 golf 6mt Malone stage 2, Buzzken delete, '04 Jetta 5 speed (sold), '02 Jetta 5 speed (also sold)
From what I’ve found looking around for removal info retrofitting to hold more diesel is more work than it’s worth. Otherwise I would be all about doing that because who doesn’t want to drive further between fill ups right.

chattowntdi

TDI
Haha. Another great idea but I’m happy with my Malone stage 2 tune for now. But that does sound like a great idea.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
I'm also interested in hearing anyone's experience removing it, or instructions from the shop manual.

I'd like to take it out and wash it well before making it an extra fuel tank. Pretty sure it can be done I just haven't had time on a lift to get a better look at the situation.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I've been deleted for about 50k miles now and just sort of didn't make it a priority to remove the stuff. I do eventually want to cap off the tiny coolant lines going to the injector. As mentioned above, would love if it could be used to just hold more fuel, or even a water/meth install down the road. So, that's why it's stayed so far!

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
When the adblue and DPF are removed, does the engine still have to idle at a higher RPM on days like today where the ambient temperature is around 40F? I have been told that cold temps make the idle speed go up to help keep the engine warm and be in compliance with emissions.

Last edited:

chattowntdi

TDI
I think the higher idle in cold temps is normal and not necessarily connected to the dpf and adblue. But I could be wrong. I haven’t noticed an increased idle speed but then again I haven’t been paying attention really. I will try and check it for ya when I leave for work in the am.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
It's to help with warm up, but also to get the dpf + cat up to temp quicker to decrease emissions. Not intrusive compared to some systems on gas engines.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I think the only reason I'd bother to remove the DEF tank would be to upgrade to the IRS setup. Otherwise, just leave it be, it isn't really in the way of anything and certainly does not weigh much.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
That was a question I was going to ask, if converting to IRS is possible using existing mounting points on unibody? Probably someone has tried or done it already.

chattowntdi

TDI
I still have a high idle on colder temps ~950rpm? So I think what others have said is true. I’m sure it also helps to warm up emissions equipment but mine still idles higher in colder temps. Also, I would eventually like irs but not in a rush. My tank is still there for now.

Last edited:

Koloss

TDI
2015 GSW 6MT
That was a question I was going to ask, if converting to IRS is possible using existing mounting points on unibody? Probably someone has tried or done it already.

I, too, was wondering this. Knowing the MQB platform, seeing someone add AWD to a (non-tdi) GSW with everything bolting up basically 100%. I would think that all of the mounting points for IRS components are there...just being blocked by the DEF tank.

I would gladly offer to pull mine off and check, but I'm not deleted and need to maintain my CPO warranty for now.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Aside from an IRS swap, what significant improvements in fuel economy and performance can be had with removing the adblue and DPF?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Aside from an IRS swap, what significant improvements in fuel economy and performance can be had with removing the adblue and DPF?
Likely not a whole lot, just depends. SCR allows the tuners a little bit more leeway in certain things, because it better allows a diesel engine to do what a diesel engine does best: run lean. Because it is a post-combustion NOx reduction strategy, it lets the tuners use less EGR, which means less fuel use, less DPF regens, which means even LESS fuel use. Granted, DEF consumption may go up if SCR remains intact, but in theory the car could get such a bump in fuel economy that it would eclipse any minor cost increase on that front. Plus, the A7 Golf's DEF tank fill is, by far, the easiest and most common sense arrangement available in any of the VAG cars.

But to answer a previous question: yes, the mounting points for IRS are present on these cars. If you look up on the unibody rail you'll see some extra threaded holes, that is what the rear subframe mounts to. Keep in mind the exhaust system around the rear axle is going to be different too. So a switch to IRS would be more than just switching rear suspension assemblies. There is also I am sure differences in the brake components, specifically the fluid lines as well as parking brake components.

One thing I will say about the A7 Golf is that they seem to have gone backwards in the mechanicals underneath. The bottom side of them looks much more like the A4 cars, with a stamped steel/welded front subframe and control arms, with compliance bushings once again laid sideways in the failure prone position, and the rear steel twist beam suspension (diesel only). Very different from the A5/6 underpinnings. But the car still feels solid and well put together, and I do not think most consumers would ever notice these changes (which were obviously done to keep costs down). Too bad we only got the diesels for one year here. :( But any of you folks fortunate enough to have gotten a 2015 Golf TDI, you have a nice car, I am jealous! :p

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
The beam axle works just fine, and may actually better on the gsw especially if anyone uses for towing. It just was a bit more trouble converting to 271 rotors/gti calipers.