2005 JETTA TDI 5spd Manual 238,529 Miles
Power sunroof, heated leather seats. A/C and heat both work
At 237,335: - ALL NEW TIRES ; BFG ADVANTAGE SPORT ALL
SEASON TIRES W/60K WARRANTY
At 236K: - NEW RADIATOR
NEW RESERVOIR, WASHER PUMP
FRONT SWAY BAR LINKS
At 233k: (PERFORMED BY A TDI MECHANIC) - R&R shifter weighted lever
- Installed stroke limiter and readjust preload to 23% start point/100% end point 968-1325 mg/star differential
Take off from stand still very much improved
Cruising boost climbs to ~11 PSI (67%)
- R&R starter and contact clean up
Purchased from previous owner in January 2018. This is what the previous owner had done:
At 227K: - NEW BRAKES/CALIPERS, REAR WHEEL BEARINGS, AND FRONT STRUT ASSEMBLIES
OIL ALWAYS CHANGED WITH FULL SYNTHETIC AND FUEL FILTER AT 10K
At 186K: STAGE 2 COLT BILLET CAM AND LIFTERS FROM KERMA TDI
TIMING BELT AND TENSIONERS, WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT, ALTERNATOR, SERPENTINE BELT AND TENSIONERS
EGR DELETE/CATGUTTED/CUSTOM EXHAUST
ALL NEW COOLANT HOSES
OIL COOLER GASKETS
VALVE COVER GASKET
INTERCOOLER SEALS
INTAKE AND EXHAUST GASKETS
PLUG IN FROST HEATER INSTALLED
CURRENT PROBLEMS: Probably needs new master brake cylinder.
Also, smoke at start up during warm or cold weather.
Here is what our TDI mechanic said about it:
”I do not see a whole lot of oil in the intake tract so I think that the turbo is not at fault here.
If it is fuel you may have an injector that is leaking down and setting up the start up for some extra fuel in a cylinder. But, if it was leaking down, I would expect that there would be a lag in the start up and I'm not sensing that.
If it is oil, then I would assume that the valve guides are worn and the valve stem seals can't cope with them. The smoke burns off pretty quickly.
The camshaft is in trouble. #2&3 exhaust lobes are worn and deformed. You could probably drive it another maybe 20K miles before it would be real trouble but it is hard to give a accurate mileage figure for it. Once the lobes wear through the hardness layer it will wear at a faster pace.
If this is a Colt cam then it seems kinda odd that it would have worn that quickly especially if you have been adhering to the proper oil specs and change intervals."
Other issues: CD player not currently working, has a cd stuck in it
Doors won’t lock on left side and left side rear window doesn't work
Inside hood release latch broke so it has to be opened with pliers
Some rust on sides and trunk
Driver's leather seat is torn and has a seat cover
I have tried to list ALL information known about this car, but feel free to ask any questions.
I read FAQ for posting pictures and spent close to an hour trying to figure it out. Sorry! Very frustrating. But I just listed this on Facebook Marketplace with pictures. If you search near Dansville, Mi you can see it.

Last edited: