Trying to find rear coil springs online

volvopunk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
This past weekend we were on a drive and I heard what sounded like a kicked up rock hitting my fuel tank. Then after driving later, the car made a clunking noise we we drove it. I investigated things and my driver's side rear coil spring snapped. I lost at least one coil, possibly more. It's seated and drivable, but I need a replacement part.

Is it best to install these in pairs? Also, where can I get them online. I checked all the normal VW parts suppliers and none of them stock coil springs for a 98 TDI Beetle. I need some help locating a pair cheaper than the dealership.

Are the rear springs easy to remove and replace? Do I need a set of spring compressors to get them in and out?

Thanks for any info.

This is what I'm currently up against:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
this could be a little difficult. You'll need a spring compressor and a good jack w/stands. Try junk yards for a spring, I think you don't need to go with a pair. Look for other damage.

volvopunk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
I examined the undercarriage and nothing looks out of place. I have never owned a car where a spring just snapped like this. I didn't hit a bump or anything either. I'm glad the piece didn't get run over by my tire. They don't look overly hard to get in and out, but I don't currently own a set of spring compressors.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
no compressor needed for the rear.

Yes, put the back on jack stands (both sides).
The side that broke might come out without any tools due to being shorter.
You can then undo the shock bolt, install new spring, and use a jack to push the beam back up, install a new bolt and nut.
Repeat other side.
Lower car onto ground.
Have someone sit in the back seat.
Torque the bolts and nuts. 44 ft-lbs.

Yes replace in pairs.
Standard spring is 1J0 511 115 AG. Available through www.worldimpex.com
Bolt is N 905 173 02
Nut is N 102 861 02

Last edited:

volvopunk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
Danke! I figured it'd be an easy swap in, eyeballing it.

I found lots of ricer options for lowering springs.. Too bad nobody makes beefier hauling springs, because I could go for some of those ha!

Thanks a lot for the parts numbers!

Yikes! 87 bucks a pop? The Eibach ones are technically cheaper. I might go boneyard pickin.

Last edited:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Heavy duty suspension of central and south america use 1J0 511 115 AK. These are the standard springs from the A4 Golf. I've got a used set of those gathering dust.

Last edited:

volvopunk

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 New Beetle TDI
Are the MK4 VR6 springs (rear) the same? There's some on ebay.

Dealership price is 123.00/spring.

I don't want aftermarket ones, because the car already rides too low for my taste. Thanks for any info.