Real World MPG with DSG

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Papachristou: That's where we are...35-36...but wow, hit the highway, and it quickly moves into the low-mid 40s...

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I finally slowed down....52 mpg...come on VW where is this in your advertising.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Individual results probably can't be used in advertising. Federal numbers only I would imagine. Think what would happen if they said 52 mpg and then customers got 36. The way it is now people will be happy when they find, like you, slowing down a little will net them a large gain over the federal numbers. Even 40 is pretty respectable for a car this size.

big_ole_truck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Passat TDI SEL
On Thursday, I did a 5 hr drive, experienced 48.3 mpg doing interstate speeds and slowed down a bit on the state highways. Very impressive when you consider a car of this size. Also, that's with the climate control set to 75F.

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Coming from a lifted 2010 Toyota 4runner Trail that got 18mpg on a really good day at like 70mph...I'm having trouble slowing down from 80-90mph (when appropriate) when I'm averaging 43mpg at those speeds.

This car is comfortable, stable, and just wants to be pulled no matter what the speed.

It's hard to believe that if I slowed down to 65mph I would get even better mileage.

Absolutely fantastic...no remorse over here...just wish the front end wasn't so floaty...probably better tires and slowing down would fix the front end float!

passsattdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium TDI
Mine has been going up with the number shown on the odometer. Pretty darn good for a luxury car.

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Individual results probably can't be used in advertising. Federal numbers only I would imagine. Think what would happen if they said 52 mpg and then customers got 36. The way it is now people will be happy when they find, like you, slowing down a little will net them a large gain over the federal numbers. Even 40 is pretty respectable for a car this size.
40 mpg is beyond respectable for a car of any ilk. Not many cars are in this category.

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
600 miles plus; Houston to Huntsville and N. Houston

A few important things to notice here in this photo:

Trip mileage is over 600 since last Sunday when I filled up and my estimated mileage (Range) left is still 155. This is on ONE tank and includes my RTs to Huntsville every day this week (roughly 53 miles one way), twice to gym and back home, and class today (FM 1960 in north Houston to The Woodlands) and back.

I still have just under 1/4 tank of fuel left! I will say that I kept my speeds below 70 mph most of the week on the highway and drove slow and steady in the city. I do about 90 percent highway, 5 percent stop and go and 5 percent mixed.

Still, simply incredible mileage. I'm blown away.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Does the Passat do the same thing my Golf does, where the last 150 miles or so remaining on the MFI actually are gone in 90-100 miles? I was almost caught short on road trips the first couple of times this happens, but now I know when it says 100 miles to empty it's time to get fuel now. Mine says about 60 miles to empty when the reserve light comes on, which is actually more like 30 miles.

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
Does the Passat do the same thing my Golf does, where the last 150 miles or so remaining on the MFI actually are gone in 90-100 miles? I was almost caught short on road trips the first couple of times this happens, but now I know when it says 100 miles to empty it's time to get fuel now. Mine says about 60 miles to empty when the reserve light comes on, which is actually more like 30 miles.
Yes, I am sure my light will be coming on soon.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I haven't noticed. I rarely watch the range indicator.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My JSW gets at least 80 miles once the idiot light turns on. I think that the distance to empty says 60 once the light turns on.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I think the consumption indicator is far more interesting than range. *shrug*

mnelsonx

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE DSG
I drove 15 miles out of my way to fill up on Friday at the cheapest price; saved $0.17 per gallon over the local price - thanks to the GasBuddy app.

I thought the MFI was seeming "optimistic" at 45.8 overall, but I guess it is close because Fuelly says I averaged 46.6 mpg on this fill-up. It seems to be holding true that mileage improves with break-in, as the second thousand miles has improved over the first thousand.

I can't wait to put on the next 98,000...and still can't believe the incredible fuel efficiency! While I would love to be able to rub it in to Prius drivers, I think that would make me too much like them...;)

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I drove 15 miles out of my way to fill up on Friday at the cheapest price; saved $0.17 per gallon over the local price - thanks to the GasBuddy app.

I thought the MFI was seeming "optimistic" at 45.8 overall, but I guess it is close because Fuelly says I averaged 46.6 mpg on this fill-up. It seems to be holding true that mileage improves with break-in, as the second thousand miles has improved over the first thousand.

I can't wait to put on the next 98,000...and still can't believe the incredible fuel efficiency! While I would love to be able to rub it in to Prius drivers, I think that would make me too much like them...;)
I'm waiting for my fuel to run out. At about 650 miles as of today and the gauge is still not even close to the red. Well, close, but not real close.

My first tank was in the 30s. Second and third about 39 combined. And really interesting to see what this tank nets me from Fuelly.com ... my MFI has been reading upper 40s most of the week.

Only have 2500 miles on the car. But I am a quick break-in as I drive 100+ miles a day.

houstonmacbro

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat TDI SEL
I think the consumption indicator is far more interesting than range. *shrug*
Usually I am concerned with mileage, but range is also important to me. I want to know that I can get through my week of driving (100+ miles per day) on one tank. The mpg is important, but only in a dollars and sense kinda way.

I dunno ... does that make sense?

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Sure, but you'll probably get better MPG if you pay attention to the MPG display. It tends to have that effect. :)