Clunk in Front End on Starting Off While Turning

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
The Jetta has a fairly loud clunk sometimes when I start off and turn the wheel a little. This just started last night and has done this about 6 times so far. The sound is coming from the left front and the clunk (kind of like a bang) is accompanied by a slight vibration and the strut spring seems to resonate (vibrate) with the sound. I jacked up the LF and I can not find anything loose.

I suspect this is either a bad strut bearing or a bad control arm bushing. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

--Nate

Antsrcool

Vendor
TDI
2010 Cup Edition
likely a bad strut bearing have someone get in and watch the spring while turning to see if it is binding up

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Yea, the strut bearing was rusted and totally locked up/siezed. I put on my Koni Reds today and found the bad bearing when I disassembled my old struts. I was going to wait until next year to install the Konis (I got them via a Group Buy), but moved up my install because of the bad strut mount bearing.

Do I need an alignment after instaling the struts? The steering wheel is still centered perfectly.

--Nate

Last edited:

jarvir2

TDI
Jetta GLS
Bentley manual states that you need an alignment, but I never had it checked after installing the Koni red struts/shocks and the car is still driving fine and there's no pull to the right/left.