Adding Aux input to Monsoon

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
Yes you can, but you will lose the changer input if you have a changer. There was a post on VW vortex not long ago about this, if you search on my name (danix) you will probably find it. There's a way to make your own cable, a square connector into the radio that then ends in a pair of RCA inputs.

When I get my car back I plan on installing XM radio and will use this input method.

andrewc

Veteran Member
TDI
none :( ....(gone) 98 NB 6spd
I purchased the Peripheral VWASX Aux input from installer.com for my '98 NB TDI. It adds the aux input but lets you keep a CD changer connected also. To switch between CD and Aux there is a single wire that, when switched to ground, enables the Aux input. It works great!

The bad news is it doesn't work with the stock changer or the Panasonic equivalent that I had... I had to buy a Sanyo changer (certain Alpine and Audiovox units also work).

The VWASX uses the standard 12-pin rectangular Molex connector in the trunk. Not sure if this will work with your Monsoon. Good luck.

SputnikTDI

there are lots of intup devices out there. I currently use one from enfig motorsports (www.enfig.com) to plug my Ipod into my stock headunit. It works great!

~Sputnik

Seif

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
I have a PIE aux input converter on my '03. It connects to the jack in the trunk where a cd changer would mount.

One odd thing is that it sounds great with my ipod, but like arse with my rio mp3 player. Both units sound great with a set of headphones, but through the monsoon head unit the rio is horrible. There were some posts on the vortex about modding a resistor in the converter (to match impedance?) but I lucked out with the ipod.

I got the unit from:
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pievwaux.html

Seif

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
[ QUOTE ]
Seif said:
I have a PIE aux input converter on my '03. It connects to the jack in the trunk where a cd changer would mount.

One odd thing is that it sounds great with my ipod, but like arse with my rio mp3 player. Both units sound great with a set of headphones, but through the monsoon head unit the rio is horrible. There were some posts on the vortex about modding a resistor in the converter (to match impedance?) but I lucked out with the ipod.

I got the unit from:
http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pievwaux.html

Seif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same unit. I'm on my 3rd and it still sounds like ass with either my sirius sat. radio, or my Archos MP3 player. Both Logjam and PIE have been great. I added an aditional ground, it still sounds like ass, but PIE will take it back and fix it even with the wires cut. Just a word of warning, PIE has poor quality control, but there technical service guys and their customer service is great.