Particulate filter Icon, Glow plug indicator flashing, check engine light, 2009 tdi

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
DanG144 said:
They do have a new software patch out. To address exhaust system issues.
Thank you for that tidbit of info. If anyone has any specifics about it (software numbers, etc.) that would be helpful too.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Sideways240sx said:
The dealer was actually pretty great, they told me if it comes up again right away, even if its a little out of warranty they will take care of it, because i had the car in for it, and it was all documented.
Do they mean a little beyond the 8yr/80K Federal emissions warranty, or are they suggesting that the DPF is not covered by that?

Autovid

TDI
TDI
Particulate filter Icon, Glow plug indicator flashing, check engine light

A little help.. I am a dealer with (2) different 2010 TDIs doing the same thing (only 10K miles). We have ruled out many things in the process. With the DFU Light on, glow flashing and engine light on we have done the following.

Replaced Particle filter with no change.

We changed all of the CAT Converters and sensors all the way back to the tail pipe to eliminate any CAT or sensor.

We have driven the 250 miles @2500 RPM with no change in lights. We then changed the engine (yes I know... a little extreme) all with zero change in the lights.

This only brings us to the ECM which we swapped but only put in to see if the light went out which it did (and then changed back). The question is how can we reset the CODING in the ECM to show a normal? We are certain these lights are a direct result of running in limp mode causing massive emissions. But after replacing everything there would be nothing to register any such coding but it is still in ECM.
Thanks for your help!!

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
A little help.. I am a dealer with (2) different 2010 TDIs doing the same thing (only 10K miles). We have ruled out many things in the process. With the DFU Light on, glow flashing and engine light on we have done the following.

Replaced Particle filter with no change.

We changed all of the CAT Converters and sensors all the way back to the tail pipe to eliminate any CAT or sensor.

We have driven the 250 miles @2500 RPM with no change in lights. We then changed the engine (yes I know... a little extreme) all with zero change in the lights.

This only brings us to the ECM which we swapped but only put in to see if the light went out which it did (and then changed back). The question is how can we reset the CODING in the ECM to show a normal? We are certain these lights are a direct result of running in limp mode causing massive emissions. But after replacing everything there would be nothing to register any such coding but it is still in ECM.
Thanks for your help!!
So a DEALER has to ask questions here for help? Something's not right. VW dealers have access to VW tech support which should resolve it and if you aren't a VW dealer why are you trying to throw parts at a car which is still under factory warranty unless it is some sort of salvage operation.

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Having worked at a VW dealer I can assure you the tech line is usually clueless, and their new Guided Fault Finding is a pleasant way to send the tech in circles without really allowing him or her access to the needed information about how the system actually works. So while we all know how to easily change things on our cars' systems like lighting and door lock operation and such, those requests at the dealer service drive will often garner one the 'deer in headlights' look.

FWIW, I had the dealer tech line guy tell me once that I was wrong when I said the 1998 New Beetle TDI had no wastegate on its turbo. :rolleyes: He seriously had no idea that the ALH engine uses vacuum to control boost.

firedwg1

Veteran Member
TDI
10 GSW, 12 Pass SEL, Tesla MS
Thank you. very informative post. This was a all of a sudden thing. My car has regened before. I have heard the fans kick on at full blast, while i pulled up to a stop sign/light.

So are you saying to regen properly i need to do 50 in 5th? Or would my 72-75mph in 6th be just as good?

Thanks, Chris
If the regen starts and you are getting ready to park let dont turn it off.

I had this issue while just doing light driving in a small area for a week (on base).

To force regen to start you should dive it a little harder on a open road and it does not matter what gear or speed from my experience, just get the RMPS higher than normal and drive for a few miles. Once it starts let it run until its done.

On my commute this ussually happend durning the drive but a few times I have noticed a regen when I am ready to park so I let it run until its done.

That should clear the particular fliter light, if not than you might need a new filter.

oilhammer

TDI
You need to get a scan tool if the light comes on, as you need to see what the soot load is, and if it is not too high do the manual DPF regen.

keez

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
I am the owner of a 2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI. The car comes with a 3 year warranty, and I also have an extended warranty. After 3 years and less than 40,000 miles (and being out of manufacturer’s warranty) the car engine would not start and a number of warning engine lights went on. Since then, the car has accumulated thousands of dollars in repair bills, all of which Volkswagen says are not covered under warranty--the intercooler and the diesel particulate filter being the most costly. Although the cross-threaded oil filter during the routine oil change at the VW dealership in Pasadena, CA caused the car to stop on the freeway and created a huge oil mess on my driveway, not to mention a dangerous situation.
My attempts to work with the Corporate Office of Volkswagen has not resulted in what I feel is a fair resolution. Volkswagen knows they have a vehicle with operational issues that has been reported all over the internet, yet they are refusing to take proper accountability. The diesel particulate filter on the 2009 Volkswagen Jetta is going out around 35-40k miles (sometimes earlier), and Volkswagen is refusing to pay for this costly ($2,693+) repair.
I bought a new Volkswagen diesel because I wanted a reliable car that was safe to drive, and could safely transport my family and me safely. Yet, it has already broken down twice on the freeway due to operational issues. I used to think of Volkswagen’s as high-quality, German-engineered cars. But apparently, Volkswagen has lost their interest in keeping drivers safe, and instead manufactures sub-standard cars that are breaking down on owners, even with low mileage and recommended upkeep.
Make sure you report ALL car maintenance issues to VW Corporate at (800) 822-8987. Otherwise VW will insist there aren't issues and will not stand behind their vehicles. I have never worked for any public company that does not monitor the web for issues with their products, if for no other purpose than to be able to respond to the PR element. The service staff at Volkswagen and the independent shops all rely on the Volkswagen web forums to research issues, and it is shocking to find out that Corporate actively and purposely ignores these forums where product issues are reported.

Last edited:

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
The only way I would ever get any action out of VWoA was when I would go around them and contact VAG in Germany. Give it a shot.