Help! Injection problem ? while on a long drive

ken.fresno-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
95 Eurovan EVC camper with 98 AHU engine (VeganVan02); 01 Jetta ALH engine and parts - waiting for transplant into 97 Eurovan (VeganVan03);05 BEW Beetle
Hi, I hope someone can give my friend a clue what is going on with his 02 Jetta TDI 5 speed. He is driving from LA to Phoenix and called me from Blythe. As he is driving down the road the tach will suddenly go up and down, with no change on his part. He hears a kind of thump-thump-thump coming from the engine, and the tach continues to race up to 4 or 5,000, then way down. He then pulls over, turns the car off, restarts the car, and all is well... for about 10 minutes, when it all happens again. I sold him the car about a year ago; it only has 60,000 miles on it, and is generally in great shape. No problems at all in the past year.
Injection pump issue? ECU issue?? Clues? He's staying overnight in Blythe but hopes to be in Phoenix in the morning.....
Thanks for the help!
Ken

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Faulty serpentine belt or alternator pulley.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
MOGolf said:
Faulty serpentine belt or alternator pulley.
The only guess I have as to why is that the tach is run off of the alternator and belt/pully is causing fluctuating alternator speeds.

Now, could you tell us that I'm wrong and why cuz I"m confused.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Clue: thump thump thump but no mention of vehicle jerking (which would indicate actual engine changing speed)
Clue: if injection pump, then engine would be changing speed
Clue: no mention of CEL

Therefore alternator is fluctuating in speed and tach goes wacky.

Possible causes of alternator fluctuating: bad belt (sections missing?), bad freewheel pulley (most likely because "it works for 10 minutes"), it is falling off the engine (not likely based on the "it works for 10 minutes"), loose wiring connection (not likely due to "thump thump thump" but I had this on my other vehicle about 1.5 months ago).

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
My first thoguht was clutch, but I have never personally experienced a slipping clutch, I was wary to say anything. So why don't they run the tach off of the coil?

...:eek:

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
whitedog said:
So why don't they run the tach off of the coil?

...:eek:
Coil? On a diesel? :confused:

On my LR it fires a coil on the compression stroke and exhaust stroke (which is a compression stroke for another cylinder). Alternator is more reliable than a coil that could fail yet the other three coils on my LR can keep the engine running.

ken.fresno-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
95 Eurovan EVC camper with 98 AHU engine (VeganVan02); 01 Jetta ALH engine and parts - waiting for transplant into 97 Eurovan (VeganVan03);05 BEW Beetle
Thanks much for the quick replies. One more bit of information that my friend didn't mention the first time, or that I didn't hear. When the car is in this 'state' of random tach-waving, he says he doesn't seem to have any control over the throttle, or, more specifically, there is power loss. It goes for a few seconds 'under its own control' then they can control the throttle again. The tach goes up and down, settling eventually at idle. The last time it happened they stopped the car, stopped the engine, restarted it, and it was fine. He just told me now that he drove it around at low speeds in Blythe, doing some shopping, and it was fine. So now the worry is just getting it to Phoenix in the morning...

How would serpintine belt/alternator belt lead to loss of power?
Thanks again...

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Now that you're mentioning power loss, forget what I previously posted. It is important to give all the known facts to get a proper diagnosis.

ken.fresno-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
You also mentioned earlier about the CEL - the light's been on for the past six months but it has only been on because of a glow plug issue. Of course, since it is already on, no way to know if it threw another code...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI

Canadian_Grizzly

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI
Perhaps Drivbiwire is making a commission? Thanks Dog your always on alert. I'll pm Drivbiwire and see if he can update the links...although the post itself contains alot of great information.