Sensor tweak

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
It's been asked before, but I'll ask again. I don't have a Bently and would be grateful if somebody would post pictures of their FTS mod. I would like to see it up close if possible. Anybody?

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
How's the KFC Mod working our for everybody so far? is it worthet to try it?

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
MAXRPM said:
How's the KFC Mod working our for everybody so far? is it worthet to try it?
IT's a very good MOD! I have it done and car feels much more torquey and doesn't loose power... and i can't hear anymore the CLA-CLA-CLA sound of the retarded injection after driving hard... WORTH IT for sure! :)

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
And Satiro, is your vnt20 already installed...........
ufff...no man...:( ... i can't spend any money in the car this month... and also i'm not sure about of it... if i installed my vnt20 and remap the engine my clutch will die soon,also i will have to update the main cap bolts...isn't?
My car is a daily driver and my goal will be close to 200bhp of funny power... is possible to remap it close to 200bhp and 400NM with my gt1749VA(1.5bar of boost)for daily use(no track-days with long times at max) without blow it? do you suggest me the vnt20 for these goals?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
va is bit small for 200hp, can be done but will smoke..

vnt20 is better for 200hp.. you can map the car so the torque isn't to much but that it will keep that torque to 4k rpm..

Altough my clutch is also slipping now, don't know why, this head flows less (more smoke) but seems to have more torque..?

T'sTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
This has been a very worthwhile mod, especially for me because I run WVO. See my thread "Observations with VAG COM on WVO" in the alternative fuels section for the detailed observations.

To be quick, I have noticed very little timing changes between diesel and WVO. When I switch to WVO, I could audibly hear combustion noises become more quiet but no longer does that occur with the resistor in effect.

I run pp520 in my car and I have always smoked a bit more than what I would have liked at idle. This mod along with a tad bit of adaption in group 4 has made my car smokeless at not only running it hard, but at idle.

Its a great idea and a great modification!

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI GLS silver
So it makes me laugh when they used to say that VO makes engines sound quieter since it probably is from the retarded timing, HAHA.

Any idea if this mod helps out chipped cars too? Not sure if chips pull back timing on fuel temps like stock ecu.

T'sTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
robnitro said:
So it makes me laugh when they used to say that VO makes engines sound quieter since it probably is from the retarded timing, HAHA.

Any idea if this mod helps out chipped cars too? Not sure if chips pull back timing on fuel temps like stock ecu.
You want to enlighten me then on why an the engine does sound quieter when burning VO??? You seem to have a lot of experience....

Naimanator

Veteran Member
TDI
Silver 2002 Golf GLS TDI
Like other have said, here's the million dollar question...

Is this mod worth taking the time to do on a car that has been chipped (like RC2), or do the updated maps do away with the injection retardation when fuel/air become hot?

tasdrouille

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 A4
The IAT mod gave me 2 degrees of advance. The fuel temp sensor mod did not change timing a single bit at all and that's with the ECU seing -14 F vs 125 F. The fuel temp mod have the same effect as lowering the IQ. I removed the fuel temp mod as it had no impact at all on my fuel economy.

KROUT

persona non grata
do you have before and after vagcom logs of this. I never tried the iat mod. I did try the fuel temp sensor mod and noticed nothing different.

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
T'sTDI said:
You want to enlighten me then on why an the engine does sound quieter when burning VO??? You seem to have a lot of experience....
The VO guys run high fuel temps ~180F. So the ECU retards the timing due to the high fuel temp. Retarded timing makes the engine sound quieter.. because there is less peak cylinder pressure, especially at idle where you can hear the rattle.

Someone on the WVO thread said that now he barely hears a difference between Diesel and WVO now that the resistor for the fuel temp is there. It makes me think that the reason WVO is quieter is not due to the fuel, but due to the ECU retarding timing.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
tasdrouille said:
The IAT mod gave me 2 degrees of advance. The fuel temp sensor mod did not change timing a single bit at all and that's with the ECU seing -14 F vs 125 F. The fuel temp mod have the same effect as lowering the IQ. I removed the fuel temp mod as it had no impact at all on my fuel economy.
wich is the improvement for doing the IAT mod? i can understand that the fuel temp mod keep the power all the time by doesn't retard timing... why you say that the fuel temp mod has the same effect that lowering IQ?

wich is the benefit of IAT mod? what ECU does if the IAT readings are lower? advance timing?

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not sure about european TDIs, but our TDIs are set to limit NOx. The ECU will retard timing when the fuel is hot. This also helps people who run Veggie Oil, which is heated to about 180 F before the injection pump.

I will be in Spain this month to visit family. It will be nice to see all the diesels!

robnitro

Veteran Member
TDI
I noticed that this mod for both intake air and fuel temp, lets the coolant glow plug heaters come on around 30F. I noticed because I have a switch to turn them on manually and I didn't notice the headlights dim. I later checked with a clamp on ammeter and yes they were turning on after the normal glow plugs stopped running below 2500 rpm. The coolant glow plugs turn off when the temp needle is about at the second mark.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

I know this is an old thread but if running this mod on non heated diesel fuel (even on say a 95 degree day with a half tank of fuel ) would this mod do anything at all or does it really only come into play with extra hot fuel alone ( like heated veggie oil).

At part throttle on diesel even in summer would there be any mpg gains due to fooling the ecu into thinking the fuel or iat Is cooler ? ( I typically never run a tank lower than 1/4 remaining so maybe my fuel never gets hot enough to make a difference?).

Thanks

Andrew