EGR system - replace parts, or delete the system?

minkus

TDI
Formerly '98 & '13 Jettas, currently '05 Passat
Happy New year everyone!
After 280k miles my upper EGR cooler pipe decided it's had enough, and broke itself apart at the front weld.
After a quick search on eBay I found that a replacement pipe and an EGR delete kit are almost exactly the same price ($50), so I figured I should ask you all... keeping in mind that it's cold outside and I don't have a garage to work in, do I want to;
A. Turn 4 bolts and replace it in a hurry, knowing something else could easily fail in the future, or
B. Spend more time on it now and delete the system, and avoid any future problems?
Thanks for your time!

d24tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4V
Replace the pipe and don't worry about doing anything else. The EGR system isn't as scary as all the folks who delete them seem to think it is. If it's been working fine, just fix the one broken part and leave the rest of it alone...

You'll need a tune to get the delete parts to play with the engine control software happily, and if you ever want to sell the car, the presence of emissions tampering will turn off some buyers and limit the places the car can go. Any area with visual inspection (CA for example, but more states are headed that way) will fail the car on the spot. And you won't get any real benefit for all your trouble and expense. EGR systems on these are pretty reliable and don't have any operational downsides, manifolds don't tend to clog, etc.

zzdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
05 passat tdi Geared BSM and Bewcam 2nd 2005 deleted ,converted and bew cam stage 2 Malone3 tune.
I believe it adds to a quicker warm up which could be a good thing in Chicago.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
When its below 30 here i notice mine is gone. Its also louder deleted.

minkus

TDI
Formerly '98 & '13 Jettas, currently '05 Passat
Thanks to all for the answers!
It’s true, quicker heat is a very good thing this time of year :)
... I’ll be replacing it once I find a bargain... for now; JB weld and zip ties have things held together well enough to avoid limp mode!! :D

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Zip ties? I know they’re great for a lot of stuff, but I’m pretty sure the EGR area gets nice and hot, might want to make sure nothing is melting.

JB Weld should be OK.

deckerfl

TDI
2004 Passat Wagon TDI W/ Geared BSM, DUK 5Spd.
I had an EGR problem and choose to delete.
In the winters in Virginia, which are not very cold, It can take 20-30 minutes for the coolant to get upto temp. without the EGR, the engine is putting surprisingly little heat into the coolant.
When outdoor temps are in the 20's the engine will get upto temp, and if I put the heat on max, the coolant temp will actually fall, meaning the heater is pulling more heat out of the coolant than the engine is putting into the coolant.

So if you live in a colder climate, I would definitely keep the EGR.