MIL/CEL=EGR+DPF replacement

Beanie-Bean

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
2010 JSW TDI, 20000 mi

Received MIL (steady) last night coming home, and made it home safely. Stopped the car when we arrived, then restarted to see if light went out. It did not.

Turned car in for service this morning, and received info about repairs:

EGR Filter, Particulate Filter to be replaced. I asked the service advisor about this, and yes, it is the DPF. I'll ask for a copy of the scan codes, and will have the diagnosis and part numbers available tomorrow after I pick up the car.

I did a search of the forums earlier, and it doesn't seem that anyone else has experienced this, so I'll document my case as best as I can for everyone here.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
how many miles on your ride?

There have been a few reported that the DPF and the EGR systems needed full replacement, all have been with realitivly low miles. dealers waved their hands and chalkded it up to a manufacutring defect with the egr system that caused the DPF to load up so quickly it couldn't request an emergency regen.

Random question, you change the oil in it yet?

BTw that's around a $3-5K repair pair bill just eaten by VWoA, and people wonder why VW does't bring more TDI's here.

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
@Beanie-Bean
Join the club -- 2010 JSW - cracked DPF at 7500 miles --- took the service dept 4 mos to finally diagnose and replace after dancing around the EGR its associated parts and electrical wiring for a long time.

Beanie-Bean

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen

There have been a few reported that the DPF and the EGR systems needed full replacement, all have been with realitivly low miles. dealers waved their hands and chalkded it up to a manufacutring defect with the egr system that caused the DPF to load up so quickly it couldn't request an emergency regen.

BTw that's around a $3-5K repair pair bill just eaten by VWoA, and people wonder why VW does't bring more TDI's here.
740 I posted the mileage (20000 mi) and the oil has been changed by the dealership twice, although it was my oil both times: Mobil 1 ESP.

Thank goodness they're picking up the tab on it, because it would suck to have to eat a repair cost.

ESFlash sorry to hear about that--it's the Hewlett guys up in Georgetown who are taking care of mine. I've been wondering why my mileage was so bad...even when I drive economically (if that makes any sense...)

Anyway, the car is ready for pickup, and I'll have the part information available later this evening.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ESP "M" 5W30 is, and it's currently in my ride. Many here have put quite a few OCI with ESP "M" without issues.

ESP 5W40 meets MB clean diesel specs (read DPF equiped rides) but not VW 507 spec.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Mobil1 ESP.......Is that an approved oil?

Donald
Yes! Mobil 1 ESP (Emissions System Protection) is a 5w30 VW 507.00 approved oil. It is available at most PepBoys locations and a few other sources. I have been running it since my first oil change (10k miles).

Have Fun!

Don

JungleFBS

Account disabled, user request
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Search through the DPF failures and they seem to have similar symptoms: persistent Low Pressure EGR faults which makes it hard to diagnose.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I'm in the club too ... Got a P0401 code at 1400 miles , replaces dpf and lp-egr filter . At 10k now , no problems !!!

Beanie-Bean

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Here is the work order, along with a printout of the scan codes, before/after:

Good to know that this problem was fixed for everyone else who's had it.

Cheers!

ESFlash

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 TDI SportWagen 6MT
@Beanie-Bean
Didn't notice you were in RndRk --- way cool --- Hewlett is who I snagged the car from and who I deal with for warranty service as well as the free oil changes. They've treated me very nicely. I think this low pressure 401 "egr" thing is tricky diagnose; I'm just 1000% thankful it wasn't on my dime.

Last edited:

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr

Unless somehow the EGR system is in fact causing them to load up quickly, I doubt most if not all of these low mile DPF replacements truelly are clogged at all. Maybe it's got a non-replaceable sensor or some other electric circuit on it, but short of bad fuel or high bio content, I dont see how it would load up that fast. You would be getting emergency regens and such as you mentioned before then IMO. But hey, under warranty on their dime, who cares.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
I'm not so sure they are clogged either as no one has reported the DPF light actually coming on , just the p0401 code ....

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Unless somehow the EGR system is in fact causing them to load up quickly, I doubt most if not all of these low mile DPF replacements truelly are clogged at all. Maybe it's got a non-replaceable sensor or some other electric circuit on it, but short of bad fuel or high bio content, I dont see how it would load up that fast. You would be getting emergency regens and such as you mentioned before then IMO. But hey, under warranty on their dime, who cares.
maybe it's loading it up with unicorn horns and bunny farts caused by the EGR enough so that going through a proper regen it won't get full "clean" and the life of the DPF is cut in half or something.

Either way they're picking up the tab.

chetstash

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI; Former owner of 2010 JSW TDI
Car went in today to replace a mechatronic unit and exhaust temperature sensor and was just advised I need a new DPF so car is in shop another 5 days. A couple of weeks ago I had a fuel injector replaced.

All replaced under warranty (car has 33k miles) but I'm going to be soliciting trade-in offers at this point.