Convert 6MT to DSG .. ?

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT; Black uni, Cornsilk
This may sound insane, but is there any way to convert a 6MT JSW to DSG? I think I read a thread where someone actually did the opposite and was wondering if this is possible/practical or not to do this in reverse (assuming, of course, that "practical" is likely out of the question).

Here's my dilemma...

I LOVE to drive MT's. My wife, however, is not adept at driving anything but auto. I thought we had an understanding that she would brush up and/or learn, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen anytime soon.

Now, ... I traded a seven seater Mazda CUV in on the JSW, thinking our days of people hauling were coming to a close as the kids are getting older. Well, we actually have an even greater need now, with a sudden influx of taxiing the entire neighborhood and extended family all over the place. I'm thinking something like a Routan, used and cheap, would fit the bill.

We also have a gently used '07 B6 Passat wagon. Her car. She does not want to part with it because she can't drive the 6MT JSW, she loves the B6 AND she doesn't want to drive a Minivan to work and park it in a tiny parking garage (understandable).

So, to get another "people mover" I need to either:

1) Trade the JSW (obvously NOT happening)

or...

2) ...somehow covert to DSG and trade the B6 in

or...

3) ...trade 6MT JSW for DSG JSW and trade B6 in.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

WEC4104

TDI
-
Gut feel says pretty much anything is possible, but not necessarily practical. Today's cars ain't your father's Buick. Changing from a manual to a DSG potentially "touches" all kinds of stuff. The engine control computers have to know which trans they are working with, and no doubt the emissions control stuff needs to know as well.

One clue might involve getting your hands on a detailed shop manual. Flip through it and check how many places list two different part numbers for a particular part (one for the MT, one for the DSG). Total them up.

If you can find someone who is willing to do the job, and can do it right, it would have to be somebody who knows these cars inside and out. His services aren't going to come cheap.

Bottom line, the project sounds like it is at least as involved as replacing all the parts in a fuel system, which we know is $8-10K. I have to think you would take less of a financial hit trading in the 6M for a similar DSG model.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
If you find a donor '11 JSW TDI w/DSG on a junk yard, possibly rear ended, you are 90% done. The rest is a swap of few parts, recoding of few modules and you are done.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
that is insane! Have you had a talk with the dealership yet?

depending on the milleage you might be able to order a brand new one and swap the car at dealership. You will loose some money but i bet its better then you trying to swap out the tranny on a brand new car! Also don't forget you will loose any sort of warranty that you have on the car if you swap out trannies!

smontanaro

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Thankfully, I don't have that problem. My wife and I both prefer manual transmissions. (We just bought a new 2011 JSW (salsa red). First diesel in a couple decades - man have things changed since my 240D!) So far we absolutely love it.)

nhdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GLS NB TDI 5 Speed
I have to second the "insane to consider" response. You could easily trade yours for a new one with DSG for less than it would cost to swap it and not have the hassles. I suppose the only way it could be done for less is to salvage a DSG from a junkyard and do the labor yourself but even then you are dealing with lots of unknowns when it comes to the ECU being programmed for 6M vs DSG. My gut says you would never have a car which was ever "right" again.

geektoad

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen
I did the reverse a few years ago...swapped from auto to 6M in a 10 month old car. The only reason i didn't trade it in was the car had 40k miles on it already, so i was already out of warranty and would have lost my shirt on trade. If you have reasonable miles on the current car just trade it in.

Tec80

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Another option: Find someone who wants a 6M car and trade cars with them. Maybe post the proposal?

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm in the reciprocal situation. I have a DSG and am pining for the 6MT... hmm...
Yeah, that was actually my first thought. If I could find someone who has a very similar car with the only difference being the tranny and wanting the 6MT ... even swap ... (?)

I have read several threads on making your switch though, and I think it's pretty straight-forward.

mike100

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 6M TDI
The only way this could work out economically is to find a person with a DSG who wants to swap the other way.

TDIinMA

Veteran Member
TDI
Got pix? the trade is tempting....
Yes, but so does vw.com. ;)

Just build a 2011 6MT with black uni paint, cornsilk interior, pano roof and 17" Porto wheels and you will see my car as it only has 4K+ miles (the only mods are on the interior).

I would want to find a local 2011 DSG with similar miles to make this deal.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
We also have a gently used '07 B6 Passat wagon. Her car. She does not want to part with it because she can't drive the 6MT JSW, she loves the B6 AND she doesn't want to drive a Minivan to work and park it in a tiny parking garage (understandable).
Why not make her do the people hauling with her wagon?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
With TDIs totally dried up in NA, this conversation has some merit. When driving gently and quietly through the neighborhood, DSG upshifts when I want to drift near idle in present gear, won't upshift when I don't want to accelerate, and these shifts use fuel and wear out the DSG. I bought the last new TDI sportwagen for many, many miles and no 6MT were available.

If your DSG fails, dump thousands on a new on, or a few more thousands for a MUCH more durable 6MT conversion (and the fuel economy and control that 6MT gives you).

It's a 2015 in my case (last year of the TDI in America). I want a 6MT conversion and willing to pay for it if it within reason (less than buying a new/used 6MT that is otherwise prestine).

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
That sounds silly. The only tranny swap worth doing would be somehow getting 4WD into a 6 spd JSW.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
If your DSG fails, dump thousands on a new on, or a few more thousands for a MUCH more durable 6MT conversion (and the fuel economy and control that 6MT gives you).
You have this backwards the DSG is a very stout transmission. There are many DQ250 transmissions out there with higher HP/TQ numbers than our TDIs will ever see.

Failure for any transmission is costly.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
While I loathe anything that chooses its own ratios for me, the 02E DSG has proven to be a pretty durable unit.

lojasmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW
I have a candy white '12 DSG. would consider a trade. If miles are comparable. Only problem with mine is a non-functioning panoramic roof.