What did you do to your car today?

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
letting my car sit in the same spot while away on business for 2 weeks :eek:
anyone want to see a video of the startup when I get back home?
Yes.. Yes please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought I was taking a video, but lack of caffeine in the morning I went out to start the car resulted in me looking silly (no video recorded, sorry!).

But I can say that the car started up same as it always does. Turn to run, wait for glow plug lights to go out, crank engine. Two compression strokes and it fired up without any hiccup whatsoever!

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

jboystdi

TDI
2013 jetta tdi se ? sold
Im going to keep my opinion to myself, last time it got me banned.

...I can't help myself. X2, please do not shove xenons into halogen housings.. you'll blind oncoming drivers at night.
Thanks for the advice guys gonna rethink my approach.
+1 Wankel7. I learned my lesson, and that was on a Mk4! :eek:

The newer model VW headlights have a more pronounced 'shield' in front of the tip of the Halogen bulb, and this will reflect the super-bright HID light even more. Highs or Lows, it doesn't matter...they have a ****ty pattern and you will see less at night, or in weather. 2200 lumens FTW!

Just my 2cents. Good luck jboystdi.

-M.
If you are installing HID bulbs into reflector housings....please do not do this.

http://enthusia.st/hid-headlights-why-you-shouldnt-use-them/

Please.
I agree totally.
I believe, eventually, all the people who are Installing HID bulbs in halogen housings are going to cause new laws / regulations that will adversely effect those of us who did it properly.
Yes, this is so annoying. And I'm pretty sure it's illegal too....aka you can be fined for it.

Personally I'd go for a whole new headlight assembly with the Xenon and leveling system. If I could justify the cost. :)

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Replaced my drivers front abs sensor
Removed my drivers and passenger side BFI engine mounts, went back to stock....... Good lord the car is so much more pleasant to drive. I left the stiffer dogbone in.

Reinstalled the H&R sport spacers. Had to modify the front 8mm ones to work with the new hubcentric rings i also purchased. Apparently the 8mm ones had been revised so my old ones were no good. Its handy having a lathe at home!

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Replaced my drivers front abs sensor
Removed my drivers and passenger side BFI engine mounts, went back to stock....... Good lord the car is so much more pleasant to drive. I left the stiffer dogbone in.

Reinstalled the H&R sport spacers. Had to modify the front 8mm ones to work with the new hubcentric rings i also purchased. Apparently the 8mm ones had been revised so my old ones were no good. Its handy having a lathe at home!
What bushings did you have in your BFI mounts? Was the vibration too much?

I've always wondered if it was worth upgrading mine. Already replaced the Dog Bone with one from ECS Tuning with the 70A durometer polyurethane bushing. But I haven't touched the other stock engine or transmission mounts.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
What bushings did you have in your BFI mounts? Was the vibration too much?

I've always wondered if it was worth upgrading mine. Already replaced the Dog Bone with one from ECS Tuning with the 70A durometer polyurethane bushing. But I haven't touched the other stock engine or transmission mounts.
These were the older yellow stage1 units

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Just moved my exhaust pipe to the drivers side more. To resolve a vibration issue when turning left when applying power. The CAT would vibrate against the heat-shield under the car.

Ironically it seems that the redoing most of the front end suspension recently with parts that included stiffer bushing caused this problem to be much more noticeable. Glad that I left the engine and transmission mounts alone. Although, now that I think of it, that may have helped as engine and trans movement would have been reduced. Meh:)

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
180060 mile service day.
Oil
Oil filter
Air filter
Fuel filter
Cabin air filter
Timing belt inspection
Drive belt inspection
Drivetrain inspection
Suspension inspection
Lube all hinges
Rotate tires

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I just installed ceramic brake pads on the rear of the golf. 105k miles on the originals. The rotors looked good, so they stayed put. I'll be doing the fronts as well in a couple of days. I also achieved a personal best on a fuel fill. 14.2 gallons with no effort to overfill. I must have been close to running on vapors.

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
Swore at the asshat who punched out my Drivers door lock cylinder. Big haul a couple of phone charger cables. Garmin base mount and my VW iPod adaptor. I guess i will be installing the blank cover now and they will break my window to steal nothing of value.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
Outer cv boot

I went to Left Lane Cars, in Irvington, NJ to have them replace driver side outer cv boot.
Luckily I caught the torn boot in time while underneath while flushing brake fluid, the cv joint was still good.
Mike and Leo took care of it

Gizzmo_jr

Veteran Member
TDI
None
EGT sensor (G235) replacement. Worst location to work on, refused to remove all the DPF exhaust components to access it!

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
...filled the tank at the high turnover Chevron adjacent to the Union Pacific railyards.

510 miles on 10.9 gallons of ULSD: 46.8 in 65H use................

Odo just over 24,000: will my fuel numbers continue to escalate with further "break-in?"

This sailor would hope so (others on this useful site have been positive here)

ez

MonkeyWrench

TDI
2012 JSW TDi
Oil change

I changed my oil in my 09 Jetta tdi. At 52, first time I've ever changed my own oil.. I've completed all kinds of other jobs on other cars I've owned - it's about time I did an oil change! Now I need to know how to reset my computer so it doesn't tell me I need to "Service Now!" every time I turn on my car... help please? I'm guessing I can use the Autozone loaner OBDII to do this.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find instructions posted here in tdiclub for changing my oil. I found great info at this outside link: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/e...vw-jetta-golf-sportwagen-tdi-and-audi-a3-tdi/
Though everyone here helped me choose my oil (Liqui Moly with 507 specs) and my oil filter (Mann), and also helped to point me in the right direction when I replaced my tires last fall.
Next job is probably brakes - front left is making some noise, and the pre-purchase inspection let me know that this car (lived first 6 years of its life in Minnesota) has some problems with the left front brake caliper. Fun! I like learning curves.

OOPS I posted twice - didn't see that this actually posted... what a newbie!

Last edited:

DerekG

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 4dr Golf TDI 6-speed manual
I have been noticing a slight mpg increase from 20k to 30k where I am now.....I need to put some more miles on this thing lol

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
I changed my oil in my 09 Jetta tdi. At 52, first time I've ever changed my own oil.. I've completed all kinds of other jobs on other cars I've owned - it's about time I did an oil change! Now I need to know how to reset my computer so it doesn't tell me I need to "Service Now!" every time I turn on my car... help please? I'm guessing I can use the Autozone loaner OBDII to do this.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find instructions posted here in tdiclub for changing my oil. I found great info at this outside link: http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/e...vw-jetta-golf-sportwagen-tdi-and-audi-a3-tdi/
Though everyone here helped me choose my oil (Liqui Moly with 507 specs) and my oil filter (Mann), and also helped to point me in the right direction when I replaced my tires last fall.
Next job is probably brakes - front left is making some noise, and the pre-purchase inspection let me know that this car (lived first 6 years of its life in Minnesota) has some problems with the left front brake caliper. Fun! I like learning curves.
To reset the service interval on an 09, you need to go into the MFD (the heads up display on your dash) and go to settings, there should be an option of service interval down the list, select reset service interval from your options.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I replaced the oil pan on my TDI this past weekend, after running over something the Friday prior to that.

Got a hybrid pan from ECS Tuning, and after a couple of hours fiddling around while laying on cold concrete, had the new pan in place.

Replaced the oil fill cap while I was there, and found that what I'd thought to be an EGR weep hole leaking blow-by oil was actually the fill cap leaking and then splattering it all over the top of the engine.

That said, I did fit a small length of 1/8" copper pipe to the EGR weep hole, and ran a length of clear silicone tube to a catch bottle, just to see if it had any blow-by. So far no sign of any oil leaking by the EGR valve actuator shaft, so I think I'll pull the hose and catch bottle back off at the next oil change.