My SRP (Stealth Race Pipe) 'How to'

StevenL

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Tdi
Im thinking of doing this mod as ive got oil coming from the breather holes. Is the safest method to drill the EGR plunger out and then get a shop to weld the holes up? (I cant weld and id hate driving around worrying about a bolt falling in or out.

bink_420

TDI
2001 golf tdi
Im thinking of doing this mod as ive got oil coming from the breather holes. Is the safest method to drill the EGR plunger out and then get a shop to weld the holes up? (I cant weld and id hate driving around worrying about a bolt falling in or out.

Put some thread lock on it. You'll soon forget and nvr have to worry about it again

Cheshire Cat

Veteran Member
TDI
ibiza.130/skoda Octy4x4
what I did was to make a thin metal blanking plate for the exhaust stub and fit a short thick screw/selftapper tho' it -not long enough to extend into the main passage/bore, once happy with grinding/polishing the main bore cover the hole with pvc tape --turn upside down fill the exhaust stub with epoxy(Araldite-not rapid) then fit the plate with the screw screwd-in, bolt up plate and leave 24 hours --remove tape and you have a nice finish -it would need some effort to get it out

Djyo

TDI
Leon mk1 "02 1.9 tdi s"
I have just done this mod to my 2002 alh, it would try and start then just cut out, I have just took off the inter cooler pipe and there's greyish smoke coming out??????????

Since my EGR has been non functioning since I bought the car (bad N-18 valve), I decided I didn't really need the EGR in there anymore. But I am also a cheap bugger and even though Dieselgeek has a nice looking race pipe, I can't afford one. So I thought I would make one myself by gutting a stock EGR valve. It is cheap and also still retains the anti shudder valve which is something the real race pipe cannot. It also looks stock, thus the stealth factor.

I am doing an intake cleaning this weekend, so I am prepping the SRP to swap in then. I bought a used EGR from another member for experimentation purposes. This is what it looked like out of the box:

Here is after a quick cleaning:

It's a lot less restrictive after the cleaning, but that valve body & plunger are still quite prominent. So I cut it out. I just used a small hack saw to cut through it:

Here is the EGR with the plunger out:

There is a steel insert that acts as a seat for the plunger. I wanted to remove it so I could file down the hump that is there (its easier to file aluminum than steel). I just used a socket that was just slightly smaller than the insert and punched it out:

Here are all the parts removed:

I did some filing to make the inside diameter a little smoother. I also plan to get the hole welded up for a completely smooth inside diameter. If I can't get it welded cheap, I may try JB Weld to block it off. I could just put a block off plate in there, but that wouldn't be as smooth, so I will fill the hole & hone out the inside of the valve once its finished. For now, here are before & after pics:

I posted this in the Performance section because it will allow more air into the intake. Whether it does anything or not, time will tell, but it can't hurt. I know it is environmentally unfriendly to remove the EGR, but as I said, it was non operational when I bought the car, so whats the difference? I also use low sulphur fuel in a B20 mix, so it is not all that bad, is it? I will have my original EGR to swap back in if I need to.

Now I just need an OMI (Oldman Intake) to go with it /images/graemlins/grin.gif

EDIT: Here is the finished product:

DISCLAIMER: This mod is for OFF ROAD use only

Djyo

TDI
Leon mk1 "02 1.9 tdi s"
Hmm seems I haven blocked up the hole, is this why?
What about the pipe going from this to the manifold?

Djyo

TDI
Leon mk1 "02 1.9 tdi s"
Go easy on me didn't relise the part about a blanking plate/weld thank god I had tools to hand start work in a hour :( quickly made this

Djyo

TDI
Leon mk1 "02 1.9 tdi s"
All fixed and running great seems to pull better at higher revs :) I only have a blanking plate on the EGR side is it ok to leave the manifold side as it is?

Boltswagen

TDI
Bora
Hi I'm after some advice I would like to do this to my vw bora2002 arl engine is it poss also can I remove cooler as well and put to blanking plates in and just block off the egr pipe and leave the asv connected

Bmchtmp

TDI
99.5 Mk4 Jetta TDI
Thanks! Awesome idea.
Just did this mod myself :D

Like the idea of tapping and plugging with a bolt but for something that is never going to be removed i wanted something a bit more permanent. And this was just easier then for me to find a bolt and tap.

Machined a piece and pressed fit into EGR then welded everything up.

Last edited:

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
Has anyone in California done this??
I haven't yet.
Thus far a sympathetic smog tester has passed my 02 Jetta equipped w/ a racepipe.
I kept all my EGR stuff if I ever need to 're-legalize', tho. Then I will 'Wing-nut' it.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
flow area across stock one is much greater than compressor inducer, which is drawing atmospheric pressure air. The stock EGR valve is more than adequate for flowing that same volume, especially when it is compressed.

if you want to waste time doing something that will gain you nothing, then yeah, go for it

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
How did you go about it?
"hey, I got a six-pack with your name on it if...." ?
haha
My mechanic of 25+ years knows a guy, etc...;)
Actually, I'm getting a bit more resistance each time it needs a smog check but so far so good.
If I was to do it again I would keep it stock and get the dynamic EGR added to my tune.
Or go 'stealth'.:cool:

CarolusRex1648

TDI
2003 Golf Mk4
Thanks! Awesome idea.
Just did this mod myself :D

Like the idea of tapping and plugging with a bolt but for something that is never going to be removed i wanted something a bit more permanent. And this was just easier then for me to find a bolt and tap.

Machined a piece and pressed fit into EGR then welded everything up.

How did you go about welding that? I'm using a 5352 filler rod, 3/32 ceriated tungsten, 75% wavelength, 120hz and 90 amps. The part should be just regular 6061 right?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
How did you go about welding that? I'm using a 5352 filler rod, 3/32 ceriated tungsten, 75% wavelength, 120hz and 90 amps. The part should be just regular 6061 right?
it's oilsoaked cast garbage alloy, so it'll weld ugly
I use 4043, but you can use anything really

try 140a or so, need enough heat to actually form a puddle

on the AC balance, I usually go 50% because it's real dirty so you want that cleaning action (and I'm using a transformer machine :p)

TSJ

TDI
Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi DSG 105 bhp PD 2007
Hi Wingnut , I know I am digging up a very old thread , But I am very interested in the process and results you obtained from your ERG valve modifications can you forward your photos and your results , in fact I would be very interested in any medications you could suggest
My present motor is a Skoda Octavia 1.9TD which I am using as a experimental project , any suggestions you have would be gratefully appreciated
I can give my personal emaiill addresss If that will help
Cheers Bud ;-)