www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old June 5th, 2018, 15:06   #1
travis45
Veteran Member

Default Help me pick a big turbo!

Finally have some big turbo funds coming down the pipe..

Will be doing the head work and cams in the future to utilize the full potential.

Some options I've looked at are:

-Darkside's GTB2872vrk. Seems just too ridiculously big for any kind of street use and pricey. Looks like it's best suited for a drag car. But awesome. I almost want to drop the cash just to be the first in North America to have one.

-MecEvo in Quebec has a hybrid they call a CRT60. They say it's good for 300hp. Based off a GTD2060vklr. I'm skeptical about hybrids. But could be a really quick spooling unit.

-Malone should be coming out with their GTB2260VK kit soon. Well proven turbo. Unknown price point yet.

I really like the new GTD 5th gen VNT turbos. Seems like there isn't a good middle option between the GTD1756vrk and the GTD2872vrk.

If anyone has any information to help me, it would be greatly appreciated.
14 Sportwagen TDI CR170 Frankenstien hybrid 2056 Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone Stage 3, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar, PolarFIS. Soon to install Darkside intercooler and piping, Wavetrac LSD, GTB2260vklr, Colt billet cams w/upgraded springs, ARP Headstuds.
travis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2018, 16:53   #2
mrchill
TDIClub Enthusiast
Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vendor
w/Business number

Location: MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x 2!

For the cr cars...depends on your ultimate goal. The 1756 is great...dont sell it short. If you really need that 300 hp, then a 2260 it is...or bigger. I personally think it can be done with a 2060 and the right hardware and tune....but most go with the 2260 as they are addicted to big numbers. Of course in all the choices, I like the vklr ones...but others will say its not worth it.

If you were traveling at the speed of light, and you turned your lights on......would anything happen?

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

You will get NOTHING! And you WILL be GRATEFUL!
mrchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2018, 18:26   #3
travis45
Veteran Member

Do I need the 300hp? Heck, I don't need 200hp.

But I don't want the turbo to be a limiting factor. Yes, the GTD1756vrk is great, but what happens when the head work and cams are installed and we are pushing the limits?

Not sure how long it will be till the head work is done, but I hear billet cams are going to be available soon for CR TDI'S.
14 Sportwagen TDI CR170 Frankenstien hybrid 2056 Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone Stage 3, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar, PolarFIS. Soon to install Darkside intercooler and piping, Wavetrac LSD, GTB2260vklr, Colt billet cams w/upgraded springs, ARP Headstuds.

Last edited by travis45; June 5th, 2018 at 18:51.
Old June 6th, 2018, 13:05   #4
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2.0 CR 300hp

DS turbo is ok for drag only and thats about it.

Gor for a gtd2060 welded on stock manifold, would be my choice now for a street car.
Avoid vklr ones if possible, only troubles with oil on exhaust and so on.

Profidiesel kit GTB2260VK at 1400 with exhaust , manifold ant converted turbo looks ok also, the best for the price asked and it can make 300hp.
Old June 6th, 2018, 14:19   #5
travis45
Veteran Member

Please explain further about the vklr problem with oil on the exhaust...
Old June 6th, 2018, 19:18   #6
travis45
Veteran Member

Well, I have a GTB2260vklr on the way with a new set of Colt stage 3 cams.

It's a sickness folks...
Old June 6th, 2018, 23:11   #7
adamss24
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35-45mpg

Usually oil in exhaust Side on a gtb2060vklr/2260vklr is due to the oil restrictior in the feed pipe, I tried many oil restrictions and I found 1mm oil reatrictor too small and 1.5 mm too big ! Also the closest to straight the oil drain is the less smoke from the exhaust... also watch the egt’s, I had a few that came undone and wrecked the compressor wheel and the locating pin on the VNT ring also sheared destroying the turbine wheel. For this reason I much preffer the old gtb2260vk, it’s a much more robust turbo in that respect !
adamss24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2018, 01:47   #8
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

I agree. 2260vk is much better and robust and no issues with oil on exhaust.
Using 1mm restrictor now and still not ok. Turbo has to come off for a second time.
Old June 7th, 2018, 16:24   #9
travis45
Veteran Member

I went with the vklr for the extra spinny sounds when I turn it off.....
Old June 9th, 2018, 07:20   #10
bhodgkiss
Veteran Member

So the gtb2060vklr off the merc 350cdi I have in the garage...
How did merc stop oil going into the exhaust side then please?
AFN Wagon | Fjord Blue | BV43 | 11mm IP | R520 | PD Lift Pump | Ported head | 3bar MAP | SRE Clutch | FHN G'box | Forge FMIC | PD130 intake | EGR delete | Decat | Custom Remap | Porsche 4-pot 312mm Brakes | KW V1 | Carbon Upper Strut Brace, RS4 Lower | H&R 32mm Front ARB | Whiteline Rear ARB | OZ Ultraleg 18" Satin Black | OEM Xenons | Bucket seats | Battery & washer bottle in boot | 100kg removed |
bhodgkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2018, 09:22   #11
travis45
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhodgkiss View Post
So the gtb2060vklr off the merc 350cdi I have in the garage...
How did merc stop oil going into the exhaust side then please?
Right? I still don't understand exactly what they are trying to say here. When I get my 2260vklr installed, I'll post how she does...
Old June 9th, 2018, 22:28   #12
adamss24
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 35-45mpg

For once the Mercedes has a main cat and a mighty DPF, the turbo is designed to work with back pressure. Add to that a near perfect vertical oil drain installation and they have no issue with smoke. Most aftermarket installations do use a 1mm oil reatrictor, too small and you cook he bearings, too much and it floods the engine on low boost and it smokes white/blue... it’s a trade off really, I did found the old vk turbos a lot more robust and with similar power outputs...if the engine is large enough To drive it then the transient doesn’t really matter !
adamss24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2018, 02:55   #13
Macradiators.com
Veteran Member

Totally agree with adams above. Something is not right with these vklr.
1mm restrictor plus almost vertical drain 10mm it should not smoke blue.
The hot housing is wet with oil, probably loosing oil from the twin rings.

Similar sized turbos will give you probably the same boost. Building a turbo on my own for the first time. Curious how it does.
Old June 10th, 2018, 19:45   #14
travis45
Veteran Member

Interesting, so the the theory is that they need some backpressure or oil pushes through the exhaust side seals?

I'm running a high flow cat. A tiny bit of backpressure, but nothing like a DPF.

I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. Will be a bit till I get it installed.
Old June 11th, 2018, 01:33   #15
ryanp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macradiators.com View Post
DS turbo is ok for drag only and thats about it.
Have you tried it? NO

We are fitting them on plenty of Daily cars with great success.

Unless you have a full blown CR build it is too much turbo, a 2260 is perfect to work up as you change Fuel and air supply parts but will work fine on stock hardware too.

02M 6 Speed Conversions + Euro Parts - 6 Speed Setups for A4 + A5 platform,PD150 Intakes, TIP kits, Turbo's, Injectors as well as anything else!! PM Me! - Click HERE
ryanp is offline   Reply With Quote