www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old April 14th, 2010, 16:16   #1
HysteriaRunRiot
Veteran Member

Default MK4 Golf PD boost gauge install help

I feel really stupid here, but i looked around, and i couldn't find simple instructions, i know this isn't complicated. It's more that i don't know where to tie in the vacuum line.

Also, I got the Vent mount, if anyone has some pointers on that
Current best: 46.7mpg Mods:RC2, 17/22 VNT, SBC stage II Endurance, 2.5in turboback, H&R sways F/R 22mm/28mm, Panzer Plate w/FMJ, Eibach Springs, Koni FSD, FMIC THE MKIV IS FOR SALE! PM ME FOR MORE INFO
HysteriaRunRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 20:00   #2
Joester

Fuel Economy: 52/42/28

you dont tie into any vacuum lines, you are reading the instructions for different types of cars. what you need to do is take out the plastic charge pipe from the intercooler to the 90 degree to EGR hose and drill/tap an adapter to the nylon tubing.

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...Image001-1.jpg

and check out the bottom few photos on this PDF
http://pics2.tdiclub.com/pdf/gauge_i...W_Golf_TDI.pdf
2002 VW Golf 4dr 5spd TDI ---- Malone stage 4 - Borg Warner BV-39 - PP520 Nozzles - South Bend Stage II Daily Clutch - TacoTaco Intercooler - Bilstein Sport Shocks and Struts on H&R Sport Springs - 17x7 Long Beach Wheels with Bridgestone S0-4 Summers - General Altimax Arctic on Stock 15s for Winter
Joester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 20:06   #3
LNXGUY
Veteran Member

Also, use the grey/blue wire on the dimmer and any ground....
Old April 14th, 2010, 20:31   #4
HysteriaRunRiot
Veteran Member

ahh gotcha, so, there's no way to tap into some other line?

also what is that adapter?
Current best: 46.7mpg Mods:RC2, 17/22 VNT, SBC stage II Endurance, 2.5in turboback, H&R sways F/R 22mm/28mm, Panzer Plate w/FMJ, Eibach Springs, Koni FSD, FMIC THE MKIV IS FOR SALE! PM ME FOR MORE INFO
Old April 14th, 2010, 20:57   #5
Joester

Napa and hardware stores should have it. It's like a threaded brass hex fitting with male threads on both sides. On side threads into the boost plumbing and the other gets a cap that hold onto and seals the nylon tubng. You can see it in the pic. The gold thing.
2002 VW Golf 4dr 5spd TDI ---- Malone stage 4 - Borg Warner BV-39 - PP520 Nozzles - South Bend Stage II Daily Clutch - TacoTaco Intercooler - Bilstein Sport Shocks and Struts on H&R Sport Springs - 17x7 Long Beach Wheels with Bridgestone S0-4 Summers - General Altimax Arctic on Stock 15s for Winter
Old April 15th, 2010, 03:36   #6
HysteriaRunRiot
Veteran Member

no, i mean dimensions, that's a compression by male brass fitting, the tubing goes into the compression end, so i'm assuming it has to be 1/8" but what size is the end that goes into the whole I drill, or does it not matter
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:27   #7
Joester

it doesnt matter, i just drill a hole a bit smaller than the threads and then just thread the fitting in there. it should tap itself. i just told you to tap it because tapping it is the correct way to go about things, but not completely necessary.
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:27   #8
Joester

and yes. my autometer was 1/8th inch compresssion fitting and tubing. i dont know what kind you have.
Old April 15th, 2010, 08:19   #9
Honeydew
Veteran Member

1/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread) is the thread size. The correct size drill bit to use prior to tapping is 11/32".
Honeydew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 12:21   #10
HysteriaRunRiot
Veteran Member

ook i'll stop by the hardware store later today, thanks guys
Old April 29th, 2011, 11:57   #11
HysteriaRunRiot
Veteran Member

this is going to sound very stupid, but which ground?

is there a more easily accessible one? i can't get my gauge to light
Old April 29th, 2011, 12:22   #12
tomtom1989
Veteran Member

TDI(s): VW Golf MkV

Your gauge may have 4 wires.

A permanent ground (-)
A permanent positive (+) to keep the settings if its a steppermotor gauge
A switched live from the ignition (so it knows when to turn off and on)
A supply from a dimmer wire so it knows when to dim its light when you put the lights on like the rest of the instruments.

I used the wires that feed the CD player, i did away with the dimming light function and left it out.
tomtom1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 13:22   #13
HysteriaRunRiot
Veteran Member

yeah, i found a grounded bolt, that's all i needed, thank you though
Old June 28th, 2015, 09:39   #14
Choddaboy

Hey sorry to open this thread up,

I installed a boost gauge connected to the intercooler pipe like everyone has shown.

Im not sure if this is normal but I get weird boost readings. When accelerating hard it will read up to 2 bars then the needle will start going down. Also it always makes an annoying rattle.

I can post a video if it helps.

Any suggestions? Would a bent/kinked boost hose maybe cause this?
Old June 28th, 2015, 09:59   #15
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Likely two things

1) Most gauges are not damped and therefore will buzz due to the intake pressure pulses from the valves. Look at putting an orifice (0.020" or 0.5mm) at the intercooler pipe. If your fitting is brass, you can solder it shut and drill it out.

2) You likely have sticky vanes or a mis-adjusted actuator causing the 2 bar spike. Get this fixed (or stop stomping on the throttle) else you'll be putting a new turbo on soon
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is online now   Reply With Quote