www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Power Enhancements

TDI Power Enhancements Discussions about increasing the power of your TDI engine. i.e. chips, injectors, powerboxes, clutches, etc. Handling, suspensions, wheels, type discussion should be put into the "Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)" forum. Non TDI vehicle related postings will be moved or removed. Please note the Performance Disclaimer.

Old May 14th, 2018, 18:47   #1
lindenladouceur

Default 2011 Stage 2 TDI - Gutless, lots of boost, lower EGTs, quieter, no codes??

Hello all,

Car is a 2011 Jetta TDI 6MT, Malone Stage 2 tune, Buzzken exhaust.

Car has been tuned for about 10,000km now. Three weeks ago car started knocking when driven cold, I was thinking this was an injector on it's way out, then the car started hesitating under acceleration, this was intermittent.

Usually if I warm the car up for 2-3 minutes, there will be no knocking, but still intermittent hesitating when accelerating while the car is warming up. But the car is gutless, I'll look down at my boost gauge pulling a slight hill and it's at 20+ psi and the car is not accelerating much at all. Other noticeable things are significantly lower EGTs, the car is also way quieter under the same load/boost/rpm etc, it used to rattle my brains and now it is not loud at all. What is going on? No codes whatsoever, I'll get to injectors in the next paragraph.

Injector Deviations when cold:

1: -0.24
2: -0.05
3: 0.0
4: 0.26

Injector Deviations when at operating temp:

1: 0.42
2: 0.0
3: -0.28
4: -0.21

So the injectors seem to be healthy, I checked idling fuel pressures and they seem to be in spec.

While the car was being warmed up (60 degree celsius coolant) and driven gently, these were the greatest deviations I saw on my log:

1: 0.14
2: 2.34
3: -1.53
4: -0.99

Are these deviations okay?^

I put a new fuel and air filter on 2500 kms ago, no signs of HPFP failure in the fuel filter canister. Any ideas as to what's going on? What sensors should I look at/clean/replace? I wish it would throw a code.

Thank you for any input, I have VCDS so if there are any more tests I can do please enlighten me and I will post results.

Have a great day!

Last edited by lindenladouceur; May 14th, 2018 at 23:23.
lindenladouceur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 19:22   #2
MichaelB
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: very good

Call your tuner.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 19:33   #3
JFettig

#1 EGT is probably fried
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2018, 23:22   #4
lindenladouceur

Yeah I will run it by Malone, it's such a weird issue.

The pre-turbine EGT still functions, but is it possible that it is reading lower values? I imagine if it was out of it's voltage range it would throw a code?
Old May 15th, 2018, 05:49   #5
JFettig

Post recall? group 099 changed up, another thing you can try is plug in a spare egt sensor into the orange or black plug to see if anything changes
DIY injector calibration http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=383324
JFettig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 09:17   #6
lindenladouceur

Which recall are you referring to? Also I'm not familiar with group 099. Thanks
Old May 15th, 2018, 09:53   #7
travis45
Veteran Member

I agree about the EGT sensor. Mine would max out at around 470C and it was causing some issues. I think its group 99.
14 Sportwagen TDI CR170 Frankenstien hybrid 2056 Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone Stage 3, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar, PolarFIS. Soon to install Darkside intercooler and piping, Wavetrac LSD, GTB2260vklr, Colt billet cams w/upgraded springs, ARP Headstuds.
travis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 09:56   #8
travis45
Veteran Member

Go to advanced measuring blocks in VCDS and check the box for exhaust temp prior to turbo. Group 99.

Take a ride with a couple wide open throttle pulls and see what the EGT's are. I knew my sensor was bad because it would get to 473C and flatline which showed it was shot.
14 Sportwagen TDI CR170 Frankenstien hybrid 2056 Turbo, Rawtek turbo back exhaust, Malone Stage 3, CP3 Fuel Pump, Malone DSG Tune, Panzer, 19" Konig Oversteer Wheels, Fluidamper Crank Pulley, H&R 22mm rear sway bar, PolarFIS. Soon to install Darkside intercooler and piping, Wavetrac LSD, GTB2260vklr, Colt billet cams w/upgraded springs, ARP Headstuds.
travis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2018, 22:04   #9
lindenladouceur

I always monitor my EGTs quite closely, but just logged some pulls with VCDS to make sure I wasn't missing anything. The EGT sensor seems to be working fine, logged as low as 90 degrees C (downhill in gear), and as high as 756 degrees C, no concerning spikes or flatlining. I really had to work the car to reach 750 degree C, in the past I would often have to downshift out of 6th pulling hills to keep it below 750C, and in the current state I had to really work to get that hot. So I still believe the EGTs are running cooler than they used to, and the car still feels gutless. It builds tons of boost really quickly, just doesn't transfer it into power..??

So my biggest concern is the cold knocking, and from what I've read this is often a bad injector. If I drive the car between 25-30 degree C coolant the engine will knock bad, and then I'll pull over and let it warm up. If I give it a few minutes and drive away gently between 35-45 degree C coolant it will often knock briefly around 1800 rpm and then smooth out, and then sometimes knock again as I'm bring the RPM up in the next gear.

Once the car is warm there is never an issue, even starting the car midday at 50 degree C coolant it has never knocked.

Does the +/-2.8 injector deviation threshold also hold true for driving the car cold? I'll do some more logging tomorrow morning when the car knocks and see what the injector deviations are doing.

As per my first post, these are the greatest injector deviations I saw during warmup of the car.

1: 0.14
2: 2.34
3: -1.53
4: -0.99

Is 2.34 and -1.53 something to be worried about? Could that much deviation cause a knock?

Any recommendations? Thanks for all your input thus far.

Last edited by lindenladouceur; May 15th, 2018 at 22:13.
Old May 16th, 2018, 11:15   #10
Owain@malonetuning

Yes those are fairly large deviations. Clean in the filter housing right? I'd start with some fuel additive. Try to stick to petro can/shell/esso or the most common big diesel pump, have heard of a few injector and pump failures around BC lately.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2018, 12:48   #11
lindenladouceur

Hey Owain, yes the filter housing was clean 2500 kms ago, I'll probably have another look tonight. I have been running a ton of Stanadyne Lubricity, and some Howe's injector cleaner the last two tanks. I always fill up at Husky or Shell.

This car is all over the map though. This morning for 15 minutes the car felt like it had it's power back, exhaust was louder and EGTs were hotter like it used to be. But the car is hesitating/stuttering under heavy acceleration. Still no codes
Old May 16th, 2018, 14:04   #12
Owain@malonetuning

You'll need to data log boost and fuel to get an idea of how it's running, these motors do not throw codes very easily for that, and when it's fuel related it's usually too late. Feel free to shoot us an email and I can send you some PIDs for vcds.

Dealers - malonetuning.com/dealers
We made a free VCDS Log Viewer!

Owain@malonetuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2018, 11:13   #13
lindenladouceur

Hey everyone, here's a quick update, and a question about Accelerator Pedal Position versus boost.

Car still knocks cold, logged the knocking and saw no real deviations in injectors, came to a stop at 27 degree C coolant and the car was shaking with a rough idle, and saw:

Injector 1: 0.02
Injector 2: 0.96
Injector 3: -0.96
Injector 4: -0.07

This is within spec, but could these deviations cause the car to idle rough and shake the car? I still think the knocking is related to the injectors, but I logged the car this morning while the car knocked taking off cold and there were no deviation spikes.

2nd Question: The car still feels pretty gutless and pegs the boost gauge with ease climbing pretty slight hills. So I logged accelerator pedal position with boost, I'm not that familiar with the tuning specifics so please bear with me.

I saw up to 20 psi (actual boost) at 55-60 % throttle position, does that sound excessive? I'll try and post a link to my log in a minute.
Old May 20th, 2018, 11:19   #14
lindenladouceur

https://log.malonetuning.com/chart/2...osOxwqgAAAA%3D

I apologize for it being so long, I split it a few times to zoom in. For a car that maxes out at 26 psi, 20 psi @ 55-60 % throttle position feels excessive to me. I'm just trying to figure out why the car is so gutless.

I got spanked by an E Golf the other day so I really have to figure out what is wrong with this car.
Old May 20th, 2018, 14:28   #15
Enabled
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindenladouceur View Post
https://log.malonetuning.com/chart/2...osOxwqgAAAA%3D

I apologize for it being so long, I split it a few times to zoom in. For a car that maxes out at 26 psi, 20 psi @ 55-60 % throttle position feels excessive to me. I'm just trying to figure out why the car is so gutless.

I got spanked by an E Golf the other day so I really have to figure out what is wrong with this car.

What you are seeing in VCDS is absolute pressure: your actual boost PLUS ~14.5psi of atmospheric.

So subtract 14.5 to get your actual boost.

Why didn't you give it 100% throttle?
-BMW Z3 M Coupe (1 of 36)
-BMW 328d wagon (Self tuned ~230hp)
Enabled is online now   Reply With Quote