Sudden loss of boost and loud turbo whine

Diesel4Mark

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
2003 Jetta with 220k miles. While driving this morning, the car had a sudden loss of boost and now it sounds like a siren when I rev the engine. I checked for obvious boost leaks and couldn't find any. I removed the hard pipe from the turbo to the intercooler and there was no oil or debris in there. When I start the car with the pipe removed, the turbo is moving air, but I can easily place my hand over the outlet and block it. The whine is very loud and is obviously coming from the turbo. I can move the actuator lever as much as I ever could by hand. Has something maybe come loose on the exhaust side of the turbo? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
Pull the hose off the intake of the compressor side and feel if the shaft is sloppy up and down/in and out and look if the blades are rubbing.

If the blades are contacting the housing, its time for a new turbo.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Your turbo bearing has failed. Do not continue to run the engine until you have replaced the turbo. Continuing to operate the engine risks complete turbo failure and potentially significant or catastrophic engine damage.

Remove the inlet pipe from the turbo and wiggle the shaft that the compressor is attached too. I'll bet it's wobbly.

I repeat: do not continue to run the engine!

Diesel4Mark

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the advice and warnings thus far. It just seemed odd to me that this happened so suddenly. I will remove the inlet hose and check the shaft play tonight. I am only running the engine right now with the hard pipe from the turbo to the intercooler removed.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Turbo failure is sudden in nature. It will be fine one minute, and howling the next. The sound you describe is often referred to as turbo death whine. There are a number of videos on YouTube demonstrating this (if you're curious).