VCDS wont allow IQ adjustment

Super T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I went outside, hooked up my laptop and VCDS popped up with an update. So I did it. Latest version. Logged in to adaptation, noted the stock value and tried to change it. Somehow my IQ went down. Without the value changing. And if I try and change the value it doesn't let me. I clicked up once and it stops letting me click up, the box greys out. And "Test" is greyed out. Even if I type a value in. My IQ was 3.5 before. Now its 2.8. I wanted to try out 4.0. It simply will not let me change the value.

Anyone?

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Try using the little number up/down keys instead of typing something in manually. I think I've seen this before...

Super T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Hammer mod shouldn't need to be done. I'm not looking for a lot and I'm still well within the ok parameters set by VCDS.

Also I tried clicking up and down. I click once and it blanks out and doesn't allow anything. Also doesn't allow changes down. At this point Id be happy to get back to my original 3.5. Keep in mind VCDS did NOT allow me to change the number, yet changed my value.

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Once you have entered in a value in adaptation you must either save it or exit out then go back in and test another value.

I believe with IQ making the value number smaller increases the IQ and vice verse.

Super T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Pretty sure that didn't work for me when I was trying, I won't have time to play with it today but I will hook it up tomorrow and see.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Still not having any luck...
concerned you have proper instructions:

With the engine warmed up and running at idle in neutral with all major accessories such as air conditioning turned off, connect the scan tool cable and start the scan tool software. Select engine control module. "Login" using 12233 as the access code. Select "adaptation" and go to adaptation block 1. Note that the display shows a default adaptation value of 32768 and shows the amount of fuel being delivered in milligrams per stroke. (If it does not show this, you are either on the wrong screen, or you have an older ECU that differs slightly - see next paragraph.) The specification range for reported fuel delivery at idle is 2.2 to 9.0 mg/stroke and they normally run best between 3.0 and 5.0 mg/stroke (highly tuned non-stock engines may differ - you'll have to experiment in that case). If you see a number smaller than your desired range, enter an adaptation number that is slightly smaller (say 100 units smaller than where it is now) and "test", to see the effect. Adjust the adaptation number up or down as required to achieve a reported fuel injection quantity as close as possible to your target. It is only possible to adjust within a very limited range using this method but experience has found that it doesn't take much change to make a big effect in the shuddering. Once you get a proper setting, "save" it.

Super T

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I managed to get my IQ adjusted. Would not let me type in a value. All it would let me do is adjust it down 1 point at a time. Also would not allow testing, but it appeared to change and save with each click down. Currently sitting at 4.5mg, I'll give this a go and see how it does. I have never touched the IQ on my car. But it is a used RC4 ecu. The IQ value was higher then the default value. Thanks BobnOH for that info.