Boost Control Question

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
DISCLAIMER: This question involves use of the Evry mod. Yes, I would love to be able to afford larger injectors and a proper tune but that's not a solution right now.

Ok, so i need a little help on this, as I don't quite understand all the specifics involved. So I put the pedal to the metal with the evry mod on, it starts out really strong and then imediatly dies off to what feels like stock level boost. I am assuming this is the ECU compensating for the increased boost and telling the variable vanes to back off to prevent overboost.

a) What are my options for getting my boost level to get up to x psi (boost gauge is coming in soon!) and stay there without dropping way down. I thought this is what a "boost valve" or dawes device was for, but I have gotten mixed responces.

b) Do I risk hurting my engine from these higher boost levels if I bypass the computer controling the variable vanes? My time on these forums is telling me it won't but I just want to make sure.

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
If you don't know what the boost level is, you don't know that anything is safe. Especially with increased fueling. When I hooked up my boost gage on my stock ALH, I was shocked to find crappy VNT response pushing sllooow spikes all the way to 25 psi. NOT GOOD.

A boost controller is also cheap insurance. In my case mandatory to control things. Just 50 dollars for boost gage and 35 for boost controller. Then you'll be pulling smooth!

Oh, btw, the evry mod does not technically affect the ECU control over the VNT vanes.

Jeepmb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI GLS
Quipstad, I know KermaTDI.com has them, and the original Dawes device (essentially the same thing) is being sold still but I forgot the name of his new web site.

Ok good to know that the boost controller was what I am looking for, that makes sense. I'll get one of those and a boost gauge soon enough and I should be set in my engine work for some time.

Also, I did understand that evry doesn't tell the ecu anything about the VNT Vanes, just that with the higher boost pressure the MAP sensor tells the ECU to change the vanes.

A little off here, but I have read the TDI entry on wikipedia, and someone recently added that the evry mod (I think they just call it a fueling mod) works by affecting the fuel temperature sensor and telling it to preheat the fuel. That didn't sound right to me, is it true?