Show what you tow!

TDI_Convert

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 5 sp., 2003, Silver/Grey Int.
I've never trailered a bike, but I have hauled cars and 4-wheelers. I prefer to tie down the axles or tires and let the suspension and body move the way it wants.

Nice trailer!

gunnerdd972

TDI
2000 NB GLS
CNDTDI,

Thanks for the concern, this was the first time I tested my bikes on the trailer, and I only drove it a few miles to take these pictures. I will tie both bikes down on all 4 corners when I use the trailer.

CNDTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 jetta tdi 6m
sounds good don't forget to take more pictures next time :p , now for the more important info where did ya get it :) because that would be perfect for my needs.

I've been looking a bit at trailers and the only one that folds up is the one at crappy tire and looks flimsy to begin with. and haven't found anything else. (I won't mind a small road trip to Florida during the cold months ;)

Edit: can you tow it when its folded like that?

gunnerdd972

TDI
2000 NB GLS
CDNTDI & coalminer16,

Trailer is from Kendon, they just had a new redesign out for their dual trailer. I bought my trailer from Trailers 4 Less.com, for $1,995. The dual trailer can hold two full Harley dressers, and can hold 2000 lbs. Yes,
with out any bikes on the trailer you can tow it folded.

http://kendonusa.com/trailer_dual.html

Shane

Last edited:

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
That is really sweet. Too bad they don't make something like that in aluminum. I go to MN often enough in the winter with mine that it would have a set life before rusting away. VERY VERY cool though. Maybe someday I will invest. I don't think it is wide enough for my sidecar rig though.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
It was dark by the time I got home, or else I would have posted a pic. I just delivered a new Beverage-Air kegerator to a customer and they wanted to know if I would take their old one away. They said it kept icing up inside. I brought it home in my trailer and got some thumbs-ups along the way! The only thing wrong with it was that the door wasn't adjusted properly and the high humidity outside was making too much ice form on the evaporator. I adjusted the door and it works great. This is a one year old stainless kegerator that retails for $2,499. Sweet!

BadNewsMike

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI

My TDI,
Curt hitch, Unitronic chip, Nozzles, Vr6 axles, 80 dura engine mounts, Vr6 springs,

Towing a very broken VR6 GTI GLX (timing chain snapped)

Towed like it was nothing, didnt even feel too bad stopping. had to panic stop once when a 80yr woman in a Merc Grand marc pulled out in front of me...

Last edited:

TDI4MENC

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2001, Black/tan 400,000k club
My new truck!

I've been waiting a few years for this Mahindra diesel truck to hit the US, but it's held up in government red tape, so here's my new solution. The Wells Cargo MPT trailer holds everything I need when working. I installed a Bosal hitch as well.

McBrew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI, 5 speed, Silver/Grey
I like those little Wells Cargo trailers. I ink I'm going to get one of their slitly larger ones and have it lettered up for my business. Like a rolling billboard!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Some relatives from Nebraska were in town yesterday. Sister-in-law has an F-150 which gets terrible fuel mileage but she says she needs it because her daughter (my niece) has been moving about every six months. I couldn't help it, I had to mention the flatbed utility trailer I use when I need to haul stuff, so no need for a fuel-guzzling pickup. I am sure that I was totally unpersuasive, the 2001 New Beetle with 1.8T engine which my niece got in high school is now sitting, undriveable, in her driveway at home (some kind of 02 sensor problem, she said). They would rather buy a new vehicle than maintain something they already own.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Don't have the picture to support it but my father just picked up a "W" John Deere engine on trucks (stationary D engine on a wheeled car) in Iowa and hauled it 400 miles to MN. It was over 2500 lbs as well. My father was very impressed with his 2009 sport wagon and it still got 24 mpg going home under the load. Better then most unloaded cars and pretty much all trucks (no matter the load).

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Here was my 4th of july trip;

1998 Jetta tdi with a RC3 tune, .205 injectors, .681 5th, and a colt stage 2 cam. Has the cam only because we rebuilt the engine last month and it needed a cam anyway :).

Had 2 atv's, a minibike, crapload of tools, gear, and 3 people in the car. Towed like a champ at 72mph on cruise @~2050rpm and netted 30mpg. The trailer is all SS 6'x12' that my old boss built in his garage so it's not exactly a featherweight.

S_Sanders

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Coupe and 2012 JSW
That is really sweet. Too bad they don't make something like that in aluminum. I go to MN often enough in the winter with mine that it would have a set life before rusting away. VERY VERY cool though. Maybe someday I will invest. I don't think it is wide enough for my sidecar rig though.
Would this be wide enough??

It's Trailer In A Bag's ATV trailer. TrailerInABag.com They have an interesting line of light weight trailers that can be disassembled and stored in bags.

You can put the trailer in the trunk instead of towing it empty if you're not hauling a load round-trip.

KiTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2002 dark blue - Sold

This is a cargo carrier on my class I hitch. There is no riser on it so it is only 8 inches above the ground. Believe it or not, i only hit it once to the ground. That when i back out from the driveway.

Anyways, i am modifying it to have a 4" riser. Will post pic later.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Interesting. Still steel though and the cost of an aluma trailer is comparable (which is what I have). Although I still might invest in one if I can afford it and if I could get a sidecar rig on there (one one).
Would this be wide enough??

It's Trailer In A Bag's ATV trailer. TrailerInABag.com They have an interesting line of light weight trailers that can be disassembled and stored in bags.

You can put the trailer in the trunk instead of towing it empty if you're not hauling a load round-trip.

Thorne

Veteran Member
I've only owned one trailer (old garden trailer converted to utility box trailer) that didn't have any sort of suspension, and it scared me half to death -- and I've been towing boats and trailers for decades.

Trailers really need springs and/or shocks of some sort, or they go rapidly out of control at speeds over 40mph. Even torsion axles are a disaster when the trailer is empty, so should only be used on trailers that always carry weight (like teardrops).

Both the converted garden trailer with no suspension, and my empty utility trailer with torsion bars were dangerous to tow on the freeway unloaded -- they'd do 3' hops at the slightest bump. Not recommended!

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Trailers really need springs and/or shocks of some sort, or they go rapidly out of control at speeds over 40mph. Even torsion axles are a disaster when the trailer is empty, so should only be used on trailers that always carry weight (like teardrops).
I think this is true, or at least it sounds true. When I had my utility trailer overloaded, so much so that the leaf springs were flattened, it was as if I did not have springs at all. I really had to hold down the speed to prevent it from wandering back and forth.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
I think if your trailer is all over the place and uncontrollable, something is wrong.. Most of my trailers have ZERO suspension and they tow fine at any speed with any load on them..

tommyt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 white Jetta TDI 5 spd M, 9
I picked up a great little 4 x 8 galvanized LoadRite last year that was supposed to enable me to do dump runs. Well, it has only hauled stuff to the house so far.

1. Went to Hilton Head, SC to bring a load back to NH. Averaged 41.5MPG.

2. Somehow, there is something satisfying about picking up a big load of Horse Manure for the garden!

What I'd really like to find a Eriba Puck. Saw this one last weekend at an event. It was made in the '60's and had well over 100K on it, but looks great. Brilliant use of space in a 700# package, and was made to be towed by VW Beetles.

Thorne

Veteran Member
Both the converted garden trailer with no suspension, and my empty utility trailer with torsion bars were dangerous to tow on the freeway unloaded -- they'd do 3' hops at the slightest bump. Not recommended!
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough, but I did try to spell it out -- the trailers that I towed that either had no suspension (axle welded to frame) or torsion bar suspension (with insufficient weight) did not weave from side to side -- they hopped into the air from hitting even minor bumps at freeway speeds. Both hopped so high that I feared they would come off the hitch ball or damage the hitch attachment to the Jetta.

This hopping was much worse when they were towed empty, and the torsion bar suspension behaves just fine when loaded with 500lbs+.

Weaving from side to side is another more dangerous issue, often caused by incorrect loading of the trailer, too much or too little tongue weight, or excessive trailer-to-vehicle weight ratios.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
My tow dolly bounces up like that with potholes.. There's nothing short of a major collision that will make the trailer separate from the hitch (unless of course your coupler is bad or severely mis-adjusted), and if it damages the hitch attachment in any way, you have a garbage hitch and it's unsafe anyway..

My little 5X9 trailer with leaf springs will bounce pretty high when unloaded at 70mph if it hits a crater on the highway.. The only thing you'll hurt is your trailer lights if they aren't secured well..

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Crazy nice boats.

Speaking of towing; I saw a Honda Prelude, from the 90s, towing a rather large boat. Roughly a 16 footer with the walk through windscreen.

Crazy.