The Laundry List...

CladNKaos

TDI
VW Jetta 2010
Hello everyone!
I just purchased a 2010 VW Jetta TDI a few weeks ago from a used car dealership. The price didn't seem bad, it drove smooth, and I was needing something with better fuel economy at the time.

Now however... The check engine light has come on intermittently since the day after I bought it. When I took it back to the dealership and had them check the code, they did say it was something pertaining to the EGR, but I did not have the common sense to write this down unfortunately. I believe it might have been P0401. Does anyone know of any fixes for this error code? What are the risks of driving the vehicle like this?

Next, the stereo does not have bluetooth, SD, or aux functionality. The options are greyed out on the touch screen, despite being plugged up or paired and able to make phone calls via the hands free system. I read something somewhere that there is a coding issue that I may be able to use the VCDS to change somethings around and turn these back on, but I am curious if this is a common problem and a common solution or not? I have found a cable in the glove compartment along with a connector to something that appears it might have been Vag-com to an iphone or something similar? Not quite sure what to make of this.

...Dieselgate... I did not realize the full ramifications of this issue prior to purchasing my VW Jetta, and thought it was more of a false advertising type settlement rather than an EPA violations type settlement.. I was told this vehicle does not have the repairs the EPA mandated in that court case, and I have heard rumors that I will not be able to register it if the repairs are not completed. Is this true? I am pretty sure I've missed the cut off for buyback by a good chunk, but I just want to know if I will be able to register my vehicle come this winter, or if VW will at least take care of the repairs for me if they need to be done.

Finally, a very minor issue... I noticed tonight when I have the sun roof 100% open, there is a very loud humming noise from a flap at the front of the opening vibrating in the wind. Has anyone done anything to remedy this? I noticed by even just putting 3 fingers on it, it dampened the vibration enough that the drive was 100x more peaceful.

P.S.
How often do you all change DEF fluid?

P.P.S
The car dealership I bought this from had 50 PSI in the front tires for some unknown reason... I just fixed it tonight and the thing drives so much smoother. Check your tire pressure! lol

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ronner

TDI
New 2015 Golf TDI dsg
I can help clear up a couple things for you, others will need to take care of the rest....
P.S.
How often do you all change DEF fluid?

It does not get "changed", mine just gets topped up every oil change.

I am pretty sure I've missed the cut off for buyback by a good chunk, but I just want to know if I will be able to register my vehicle come this winter, or if VW will at least take care of the repairs for me if they need to be done.

VW is required to fix all of their vehicles no charge to owners and if they cannot they must buy them back. AFAIK. If I'm incorrect someone let me know please.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
No DEF system in our 2010's. So no DEF fluid to worry about.
Oil changes... most go by VW recommendation 10,000 miles. Be sure the correct type oil is used. Most oil change shops do not stock the correct oil.
If your is an auto tranny the VW recommendation is 40,000 miles for fluid and filter.
Timing belt is 120,000 miles

The stereo's on our 2010's are common to go out. yours might be aftermarket.

So.... what did the dealer do when you brought it in?? check the code and you drove away ??
Look at the tailpipe, if its sooty inside it is probably the 401 code. needs a new DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and EGR filter (pipe)

Other things that cause intermittent CEL's are cylinder pressure sensor (glow plug), sticky exhaust valve (not internal eng but butterfly valve under passenger seat), sticky throttle valve (wrong term but that's what VW calls it), differential pressure sensor. All have their own codes.

You may not be eligible for the VW payment but you are still eligible for the fix and extended warranty. But you will have to repair the CEL cause before the fix and extended warranty.

Good luck with your car. I really like mine.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
How many miles does your new car have ? If you plan on keeping it for a while we can give some recommendations on some things to watch for.

If there was a VCDS cable in the glove box that's a great bonus.

never had any problems with humming from loose parts in my sunroof.

check that all your doors lock and unlock like they are suppose to. very common. Hate to see you get something stolen out of the car because a door lock wasn't working.

CladNKaos

TDI
VW Jetta 2010
No DEF system in our 2010's. So no DEF fluid to worry about.
Oil changes... most go by VW recommendation 10,000 miles. Be sure the correct type oil is used. Most oil change shops do not stock the correct oil.
If your is an auto tranny the VW recommendation is 40,000 miles for fluid and filter.
Timing belt is 120,000 miles

The stereo's on our 2010's are common to go out. yours might be aftermarket.

So.... what did the dealer do when you brought it in?? check the code and you drove away ??
Look at the tailpipe, if its sooty inside it is probably the 401 code. needs a new DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) and EGR filter (pipe)

Other things that cause intermittent CEL's are cylinder pressure sensor (glow plug), sticky exhaust valve (not internal eng but butterfly valve under passenger seat), sticky throttle valve (wrong term but that's what VW calls it), differential pressure sensor. All have their own codes.

You may not be eligible for the VW payment but you are still eligible for the fix and extended warranty. But you will have to repair the CEL cause before the fix and extended warranty.

Good luck with your car. I really like mine.
The issue with the potential VCDS cable is it looks like it has an output to an iPhone 4. I will attempt to post pics later.

I will check into those things tomorrow to guage the potential for the EGR errors. How difficult are those to replace? It was a used dealer, so pretty much and they did not even have a VW certified tech there evidently.

I'm glad to hear that on the DEF, just one less thing to worry about. I'm at 111k right now, with 4k to go before the next oil change, so I will probably look into those things soon.

Is there any hope for repair for the stereo? Or do I just need to plan to get an aftermarket one and install it? It, I believe, is the factory stereo. It boots up and says, "Volkswagen".

Thanks again for the help.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Usually the EGR code is because the DPF needs to be replaced. The 2009 through 2014 CR cars are loaded with nose bleed expensive emission system issues because of the poor engineering that went into those cars.

You can thank the EPA for the draconian and unrealistic emission standards that are mandated. Seriously, the EPA needs to be put on a leash. If the current standards are not rediculous enough, the EPA are starting to studying pollution levels down to the parts per billion now.

Pollution is a world wide issue. I have no clue as to having the air coming out of our tailpipes cleaner than the air going into our intakes makes any kind of dent in the world pollution problems when we have horrific problems like this example. Just one of many horrific pollution problems world wide.

http://bellona.org/news/russian-hum...-report-long-on-scary-data-short-on-solutions

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Call your local VW dealer with your VIN and find out if the car's had the fix implemented. If not, schedule it. Any EGR related issue will be covered, unless the dealer gets fussy and requires you repair it before they fix the car. You should clear the code before going to the dealer so they don't see a CEL.

The fix includes an extended warranty for all "emissions related" components which includes the turbo and fuel system. That's the real value in the fix, IMO.

No DEF, as posted above.

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
At 111k on the clock, you are coming up on a timing belt change on top of the other things you are concerned about. This site has some really good information on the common problems and solutions you are likely to see. At first the fixes for your car will seem like the car is draining your bank account like a child with a credit card, but this car is really built for the long haul.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
At first the fixes for your car will seem like the car is draining your bank account like a child with a credit card, but this car is really built for the long haul.
No, actually because of the poor engineering of the emissions system on the CR's (2009 through 2014) they are built to drain your bank account. The sad part is that VW could care less and will look for any opportunity to shaft the victims of DieselGate.

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
My car doesn't do emissions stuff, it smells like a bus, but you're right. I don't think Kentucky has diesel emissions testing, but if they do, then the dpf cleaning and all the other stuff where there should be just a pipe after the turbo will take a chunk of change out of your piggy bank.

CladNKaos

TDI
VW Jetta 2010
So, quick update. I have an appointment coming up on 7/23/2018 at the local VW dealership to get it looked at.

I am hoping either this is not the issue and it is something cheaper, or that it will be covered under the 48k warranty that came with the car post-fix. Only the CEL has come on, not the DPF light.

Thank you all for all the help you've been so far.

Next question, what years DPF will fit this? I've considered either buying a totaled car (They're selling around 300-400 where I am, which is much cheaper than DPF alone...) or going to a pull-it-yourself type yard and pulling the piece I need there if it would even be possible to get a good enough angle under the vehicle to do so.

Finally, does anyone know what the exact dimensions are for the wheels? Because on top of everything else and the fact that my CD player has now 100% crapped out, there was evidently a crack in the driver side wheel that was allowing for a small leak, which explains why the tire was extremely overinflated... -_-

I will never be buying from this dealership ever again.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Excuse me if I missed this suggestion......

Paramedick, is located just west of you in Versailles! Do a search on his name ! I'm not sure of his involvement with the Common Rail TDIs, however, he is a very reputable TDI Guru! Just maybe he can provide the info and guidance you need!

CladNKaos

TDI
VW Jetta 2010
Andy,
I don't believe anyone has, but in review of the trusted mechanic's list on here, I may very well do that.

A quick update, the DPF replacement will be covered under warranty. The new wheel is going to be in on Friday, and I will be replacing the stereo the week thereafter. Does anyone have a wiring harness that they'd recommend?

Also.. I will be replacing the timing belt in approximately 7k miles, which I am aiming to do on my own. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.