How to install a Check Valve/Non Return Valve in 2006 TDI

lsamuels

TDI
Jetta
Hello Everyone,
I would like to know if anyone knows how to install a Check Valve a.k.a Non Return valve, in the fuel line of a 2006 TDI Jetta?
If you have instructions and pictures (if possible) or know of a link as I am having a hard time finding instructions on the web.
It would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I suspect that he is having drain down issues with his fuel system. Long cranks after it sits for a while. Normal crank if immediately restarted. This is a symptom of a worn tandem pump, but you can try some work arounds, if you wish.

You can use a standard check valve for the fuel supply line. I would use a spring loaded CV in the fuel return line. Flow must be able to pass flow back to the tank, but you want to hold a bit of backpressure on it. Two psi should be enough.

I have yet to find a really good spring loaded check valve fit for diesel fuel, with a leak proof shut off. For leak tight, you want elastomer seals - but the seals need to be VITON or something similar.

A good quality spring loaded metal CV might work; it depends upon how leak tight the spring makes it.

lsamuels

TDI
Jetta
I suspect that he is having drain down issues with his fuel system. Long cranks after it sits for a while. Normal crank if immediately restarted. This is a symptom of a worn tandem pump, but you can try some work arounds, if you wish.

You can use a standard check valve for the fuel supply line. I would use a spring loaded CV in the fuel return line. Flow must be able to pass flow back to the tank, but you want to hold a bit of backpressure on it. Two psi should be enough.

I have yet to find a really good spring loaded check valve fit for diesel fuel, with a leak proof shut off. For leak tight, you want elastomer seals - but the seals need to be VITON or something similar.

A good quality spring loaded metal CV might work; it depends upon how leak tight the spring makes it.
Thanks for your reply. I will try this.

kato96

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW wagon

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Most interesting. I can guarantee you my BEW does not have that check valve on it, #16 in the parts diagram. There is nothing on the return line from the tandem pump to the filter. It is good to know one is available.

From reading the self-study program from VW about the pump duse TDI, it does state that the tandem pump, in the fuel return circuit of the pump, has a check valve. And I think I saw it when I disassembled my old tandem pump. But if that valve fails, it is more economical to add one in the return line, as opposed to replacing the tandem pump.

--Nate

Last edited:

perrya

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM with 200K
Yes, I am having the same issue except my tandem pump on the BRM is fairly new. What happens is after sitting more than 8 hours (overnight), starting is not instant but requires priming. In my case, once it starts it runs fine and it can sit for 4-5 hours and start immediately without any issue. It only occurs after sitting a very long time, usually overnight. The valve is in the intake line from the fuel tank before the fuel pump. There is also a check valve on the return line.

watchingcrow

TDI
2003 VW Jetta
Vacuum Return Check Valve

What does a "non return valve" do?
As I have read, it inhibits vacuum return to N75.
I am struggling with 00234 code Overboost and found one member who fixed his bypassing the Check Valve. What i do not know is if he just left it that way or replaced it once he determined it was bad....
This Limp Mode thing is driving me mad, Just PLAIN MAD ...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9H78R1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AUZ5QYV6CS9D0&psc=1

yabay

TDI
Caddy MK3 1.9 TDI PD105
@lsamuels did you solved your problem? For the same problems, i've put a 0.2 bar checkvalve just before tandem intake line, the car starts immideately after sitting 20 hours but then it starts to stutter....