www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Fuel Economy

TDI Fuel Economy Discussions about increasing the fuel economy of your TDI engine. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old March 12th, 2018, 09:59   #1
Przemix

Default 2018 Best fuel saving Tires for 06 MK4 Golf TDI

Hi Guys looks like its been years since someone made thread about today 2018 best tires. I need Summer tires only. Best there is on the market today.

well... there is not much I can find , I was hoping maybe You guys will have some info.

195/65 R15 91 H summer tires only

So far i found only :MICHELIN - ENERGY SAVER they also have MICHELIN - ENERGY SAVER "PLUS" but its been there for many many years, did they come up with any better tires than this?

whats the difference ? with "PLUS"

Is that the best I can go for Summer tires only?

here is the link:

https://www.carid.com/2006-volkswage...B%5D=200941089
Przemix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 13:09   #2
20IndigoBlue02
Veteran Member

I don't think those tires are distributed by Michelin USA. That being said, you want LRR to save money, right? At $177 (non-Plus) for what's in stock, the money you'll save vs a Michelin Premier A/S (Tirerack) for $120 each, well you're not going to be saving money. EVen the lower priced Energy Saver Plus is more expensive. Summer tires are also not gifted with longevity also, compared to the Premier A/S (640 A A). You can treat them as 3-season tires if you go with winter tires in the winter.
Old March 12th, 2018, 14:45   #3
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

Tires are not a magic elixir to great Mpg, personal driving habits are what dictates the Mpg outcome!
Old March 12th, 2018, 17:37   #4
ToxicDoc
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2001 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
Tires are not a magic elixir to great Mpg, personal driving habits are what dictates the Mpg outcome!
Of course, but every little bit helps, especially when we get a choice to make e.g. when tires are worn and need replacement.
ToxicDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2018, 20:38   #5
VLS_GUY
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 30 City, 40 highway

The best practical LRR tire I have found is the Nokian Entyre 2.0. Note that it is not an OEM tire because Nokian doesn't sell to the OEMs. It is on a par for quality with Michelin but ata lower proce point.
VLS_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 11:06   #6
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

I have heard good things about these. Also very high mileage warranty. Tire rack is my usual place to check these things. Long lasting tires tend to have a high (700 or more) UTQG score. Excellent rating by consumers.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...L&autoModClar=

There are others there for less money as well.

Last edited by Lightflyer1; March 14th, 2018 at 11:08.
Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 11:14   #7
Intech
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 03' Jetta 67.1 best 51 avg. 99.5 Golf 46 Avg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemix View Post
Hi Guys looks like its been years since someone made thread about today 2018 best tires. I need Summer tires only. Best there is on the market today.

well... there is not much I can find , I was hoping maybe You guys will have some info.

195/65 R15 91 H summer tires only

So far i found only :MICHELIN - ENERGY SAVER they also have MICHELIN - ENERGY SAVER "PLUS" but its been there for many many years, did they come up with any better tires than this?

whats the difference ? with "PLUS"

Is that the best I can go for Summer tires only?

here is the link:

https://www.carid.com/2006-volkswage...B%5D=200941089
Nokian WR-G3. I had them for about three years and they gave me 5 mpg more. Nokian calls them "all weather tires", not "all season", because Winter in Miami, is not the same as Winter in Duluth. At first I didn't believe it, so I checked and double checked for about 6 weeks before I posted it, but it was true...5 mpg more. I got them, and all my Nokians from Tires by Web. here's the link
https://www.tiresbyweb.com/m-108-nok...CAAEgL4KvD_BwE