www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Ontario

Ontario Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

Old February 16th, 2018, 15:57   #1
WrEkkED
Veteran Member

Default Where to buy bumpers etc

Some douche in a F150 nearly ran me over and I ended up in the ditch avoiding him. Regardless, tore apart the bumper cover, fender liners and both bumper mounts. Any ideas where to buy these quickly and not get gouged?

I tried the source, kijiji, ebay and the upick in clarington. Id prefer painted. Biggest issue is finding the rub strip. I have that stupid fake chrome and it shoots the price up. Im not opposed to aftermarket and im not opposed to losing the chrome strip.
Old February 16th, 2018, 18:25   #2
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2017 to end of April 2018

I guess the only one you haven't tried is Sewells Road wreckers.
Sewells Rd south of Steeles ? East of Markham Rd.
On my 2002 I put some stick on chrome from CTC to make it look different.
Old February 17th, 2018, 05:58   #3
Wingnut
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 4.5L/100km

www.car-part.com

Old Ride (2000 Black Sedan): Gone

New Ride: (2003 Silver Wagon): Malone Tuned, T4 injectors, 11mm pump, 2.5" Magnaflow cat back, PD150 intake, OMI, Wingnut SS, ERF 6 speed, Bilstein TC Sport susp. w/GTI springs, Neuspeed RSB, Santa Monica's, Autometer Cobalt Boost & EGT, MFA Sport cluster, GLI Leather seats, SS vacuum lines, AVIC Z3 Nav and I still get 4.5L/100km (I got 3.9L/100k on a tank once)
Some handy 'How to's'
Wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 07:06   #4
rallywagon
Veteran Member

Default Rockauto.com

They have bumper parts that might be helpful.
rallywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2018, 19:15   #5
WrEkkED
Veteran Member

rock auto was cheap like $69 bucks but the shipping was another $200 or something nuts.

I ended up going to extremeparts on steeles. Paid about $200 for the bumper, rub strip and gli lip. Rub strip came without the chrome but what can you do. I saw someone sells the chrome strip with 3m adhesive tape on amazon.

next question is where to get paint? Any suggestions in the east end or anywhere along the 407 to woodbridge.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 08:09   #6
imo000
Veteran Member

Part Source sells new aftermarket bumper covers and so do most auto wreckers and they usually don't fleece you for shipping. Don't get the 3M chrome strip, it will not hold up to what you need it. They are usually used along the side of the doors. As for painting, call a few local body shops ans see if they are willing to shoot it. The materials ans labour will be around $300.
imo000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2018, 05:38   #7
WrEkkED
Veteran Member

I ended up going to boss auto in whitby. Was $700 to paint the 3 parts. Appearantly they use some sort of flex aditive for the bumper strip since its very flexible.
Old March 8th, 2018, 12:23   #8
imo000
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrEkkED View Post
I ended up going to boss auto in whitby. Was $700 to paint the 3 parts. Appearantly they use some sort of flex aditive for the bumper strip since its very flexible.
How much of the $700 was materials and how much was it labour, did you pay tax? I have a feeling they ripped you off.

The use of a flexing agent to paint flexible bumpers is nothing new. This has been around for for decades. The amount they have to use is very little, maybe half a cup and is not expensive at all.
Old March 8th, 2018, 14:33   #9
mogly
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imo000 View Post
How much of the $700 was materials and how much was it labour, did you pay tax? I have a feeling they ripped you off.
The use of a flexing agent to paint flexible bumpers is nothing new. This has been around for for decades. The amount they have to use is very little, maybe half a cup and is not expensive at all.

Wrong. It's well known in the industry that the average charge is $400 per panel. Given the median, $700 for three is a decent deal.

Last edited by mogly; March 8th, 2018 at 14:47.
mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2018, 08:38   #10
imo000
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogly View Post
Wrong. It's well known in the industry that the average charge is $400 per panel. Given the median, $700 for three is a decent deal.
Just because it's well known in the industry it doesn't make it right. If I bring you a fender already primed, you will charge me $400 just to cover the paint/material and to shoot it? Lets say your paint and materials are $100, the 30 minutes to prep and spray will be $300? Am I expected to pay for drying time while no one is doing anything to the part? If it's baked in an oven (highly unlikely for a single fender) maybe a little extra is OK on top of the hourly shop rate but anything else is not justifiable.
Old March 10th, 2018, 10:24   #11
WrEkkED
Veteran Member

Who knows. What I do know is I should have held out for an OEM one. This one fits like crap but at least I can drive the car for now. The lip eont fit, the oem black lip wont fit and the bumper to fender lineup isnt the best. With that said the paint looks really nice. And the lip was fiberglass so they had to patch and sand to get rid of all the pits in it.
Old March 10th, 2018, 10:27   #12
WrEkkED
Veteran Member

I did pay tax but only because I can write it off. I asked to pay tax and get a receipt.
Old March 10th, 2018, 12:07   #13
imo000
Veteran Member

Too late now but the first step when replacing a panel is to test fit it, adjust it so it fits properly THEN paint it. If the panel is aftermarket then it almost never fits as it should. OE panels are usually pretty good fit right out of the box.
Old March 13th, 2018, 14:08   #14
mogly
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imo000 View Post
Just because it's well known in the industry it doesn't make it right. If I bring you a fender already primed, you will charge me $400 just to cover the paint/material and to shoot it? Lets say your paint and materials are $100, the 30 minutes to prep and spray will be $300? Am I expected to pay for drying time while no one is doing anything to the part? If it's baked in an oven (highly unlikely for a single fender) maybe a little extra is OK on top of the hourly shop rate but anything else is not justifiable.

Doesn't matter if you agree with me or not. I'm simply stating facts. Call up body shop A or shop Z the acceptable base line is $400 per panel. $700 for three panels was fairly priced based on that.
mogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2018, 10:47   #15
imo000
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogly View Post
Doesn't matter if you agree with me or not. I'm simply stating facts. Call up body shop A or shop Z the acceptable base line is $400 per panel. $700 for three panels was fairly priced based on that.
So a rub strip and a lip are considered panels and therefore, fall in the same charge rate category as a door or a hood? To me they should be considered as part of the bumper.