No A/C or Power Windows

TdiRabbi

TDI
2001 Golf ALH
Hello all, I have a 2001 Golf that I just purchased about a week ago. I got it cheap knowing it needed some work, one of which is getting the AC and power windows working again. To clarify, my blower motor works but the AC clutch is not engaging, and none of my doors will actuate their windows.

Is there something that controls both of these? I have 90psi of refrigerant without the compressor running so I know it's enough to atleast cycle the compressor. Also the driver's switch panel is pretty banged up, do all the doors get their power from the driver's switches?I know my 05 dodge ram was this way. I only found one wire with 5volts at the driver's switch panel harness. Also power mirrors aren't working either, if that helps any.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
If you turn the ac on high at idle in you driveway with the hood up, do the fans behind the radiator come on? If not fix them or change them. There is a big thread on the forum about ac trouble shooting.

If they work then swap out the compressor clutch and the electromagnet from the ac compressor. One nut holds it all on and you can change it while its still on the car, provided you move stuff out of the way. Of course make sure you have 12 V to the compressor plug that sits on top. Get a good compressor from the junkyard.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=242699&highlight=check+ac

As far as your door switches, it sounds like the switches are bad or the wires between the door frame and the door are broken. Common problem

TdiRabbi

TDI
2001 Golf ALH
No condenser fans at any speed on blowers, and I assume you are implying that the power for my other 3 window switches comes from the driver's switch panel as I wouldn't think all 4 switches are bad or have the wires broken where the door comes open.

I need to get under there and check for power at the compressor and condenser fans. Thanks for that link. I've been searching all over Google with no avail.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, use that thread. He started off with a basic thread on fans and ended up with a pretty comprehensive overview of the whole system. Step by step troubleshooting included!
Sometimes the wires do get chewed up thru the door, the master switch is easy to remove, you might start there for testing.
If you haven't already, check all fuses, including on top of the battery.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
And check grounds (including those UNDER the battery).