05 Golf with auto, Service?

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Jetta, 2001 Golf, 2003 Golf, 2005 BEW Wagon
Hey guys I picked up an 05 Golf TDI with auto. I was wondering what do most people for servicing these transmissions. I have always changed the filter and trans fluid in the 01m, but I understand the filter in these transmissions cannot be changed while in the car. Is that true? Any help would be great
Mickey

edjet

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDi,
Tip Tronic? At best you can change the oil. If I remember correctly, Transmission filter not changeable without splitting the case open.

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
edjet is correct - fluid change is all you can do. Just make sure you get the correct fluid. I just did solenoids and a fluid change on a 05 (GTI) and the dealer gave the car's owner the wrong fluid (01M fluid) - even after being told specifically that it was the 5sp auto 'tiptronic' 09a transmission.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Just drain and fill the ATF. We use a Jatco-friendly ATF here, Idemitsu brand, Type-J. Much less expensive and the Volkswagen branded ATF is just that--> rebranded, and unrealistic expensive in comparison.

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
Oilhammer I am not sure what Jatco friendly means, please explain, I also found some on ebay that states for Nissan or toyota would this fluid work. It is the Idemitsu brand Type-J auto fluid
Thanks Mickey

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Your car has a Jatco transmission in it. Jatco (which originally meant Japan Automatic Transmission Co.) was formed in the early '70s by Nissan and Mazda as a joint venture to develop and build automatic transmissions.

Later, as Mazda was largely taken over by Ford, Nissan became the sole proprietor of Jatco, then Mitsubishi decided to give up their own automatic transmission pursuits and merger with Jatco.

Jatco makes or has made a lot of automatic transmissions for lots of companies over the years. Obviously most Nissan products use them, as well as lots of Mazdas, most all Subarus, and others like Jaguar and Volkswagen.

By friendly I mean something that works well with the Jatco transmission in your car. VAG has a BUNCH of ATFs because they use a BUNCH of different autoboxes, some are their own in-house units (like the 01M and 02E), some are supplied by ZF (like the 01V and 01L) and others are supplied by Aisin (like the 09G) which itself is majority owned by Toyota.

Since there are so many autoboxes, using so many different ATFs, it is important to know which one to use. And if you get it from a dealer, it is in my opinion overpriced and in the case of your Jatco unit, is not anything "special" other than it comes in a VW-labeled bottle. You can get it at other locations for half the price. I gave you the brand and type we use here. And if you google "Idemitsu Type-J" you can find lots of places that sell it. :)

Idemitsu makes all sorts of ATFs for all sorts of [mainly Japanese] applications. The Toyota (Aisin) stuff is Type TLS. But you want the Type-J.

michael7208

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank You

I would like to say the above, Thank You I love learning, especially about my VW's cause I have to many but can't stop bringing them back to life. I like to thrill of finding a car and bringing it back to life I think it really gives me a feeling of accomplishment Again thanks for the info
Mickey