06 DSG transmission noise

forester_vw

TDI
2006 Jetta sedan--SOLD 4-1-2011
Well, I took my Jetta into one of the local gurus thinking I just needed a CV boot replaced. The first guru thought flywheel replacement. Second guru was ready to start tearing into it, but decided to test drive it first. Not the same noise as a flywheel clatter, transmission! :mad:

So far it has turned out to be a mini-nightmare. I dropped off my 06 DSG automatic at a transmission place and they actually had to fight VW to get parts for the transmission ordered. Parts were initially estiamted to be 2 weeks, entire transmission units were 2 months backordered. Thankfully someone was helping the independant transmission job on the East Coast who translated the order into German. Now I am waiting on parts to be air-freighted from Germany. :eek:

I looked into potentially swapping my automatic for a manual, but parts and labor quickly added up beyond rational thought. Plus I have not heard of anyone doing this to a MKV, yet.

The extremely frustrating portion was going through my records and realizing that my extended warranty to 100K ran out about 3 months ago. I had clocked up 112K in just a little less than 5 years. In the last year and a half I've put on over 50K commuting 168 miles per day! My wife called our local dealership and their wonderful advice was to bring the car to them first. Right!!! I stopped going to them after I calculated out that they were charging me $400 for labor alone for an oil and 4 filter change. I now do this at home and I finish the job in about 1.5 hours and well under $100 in materials.

Time to drown my sorrows with a little Jack and Coke and cross my fingers that I will be able to get my car back by the end of next week.