Which Timing Belt Kit?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
I am in need of ordering my timing belt kit. Whos is the best. I see that bleached bora has a A4 VE 100,000 Mile Deluxe Timing Belt Kit which includes coolant and a brass water pump...anyone know the importance of brass vs aluminum i just want to buy the best kit money really doesnt matter to much id rather have my engine in best possible condition. Thanks guys

Marchmen

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I've had the kit from Precision Tuning installed on my Golf and New Beetle this past year - no complaints so far. (He'll even order other parts if you want to add on to the kit)

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Savageman69 said:
I am in need of ordering my timing belt kit. Whos is the best. I see that bleached bora has a A4 VE 100,000 Mile Deluxe Timing Belt Kit which includes coolant and a brass water pump...anyone know the importance of brass vs aluminum i just want to buy the best kit money really doesnt matter to much id rather have my engine in best possible condition. Thanks guys
if you are having a mechanic install the kit, buy it from them. That way they have to warranty their work. Customer supplied parts = no warranty. If you are installing it yourself, it doesn't really matter - just buy Canadian and support our own economy first.

RichDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Jetta
I suggest either Presision Tuning or Brain at Roseland Technical Sevices. I bought my stuff from Brian. All top notch stuff. Almost 40K since the install by DieselDazzler, and no problems.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Savageman, order it from Roseland, unless the others will ship. Cost of shipping is offset by the fact their is no PST since he is out of Province.

Ordered a ton of stuff from him, and no problems. top notch stuff.

Craig

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
george_o25 said:
I was at Frisco the other day and they quoted the deluxe kit with water pump - all german parts for $300.
Ok I know I said anywhere....Let me rephrase that, ANYWHERE BUT FRISCO's!!

Precisiontuning

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
n/a
I have the T-belt kits in stock. If interested Shipping any where in ontario is flat fee of $10 regardless of size of the order.

1- Gate long life belt
2- All rollers are made by INA
3- Tensioner made by Litens Canada
4- Seals and Hardware are all original VW
5- water pump is made by Hapu (Metal)

Unless you want to walk to VW dealership this is as Original as it gets.

by the way roller, belt and tensioner are the updated long life version.

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
Precisiontuning said:
1- Gate long life belt
2- All rollers are made by INA
3- Tensioner made by Litens Canada
4- Seals and Hardware are all original VW
5- water pump is made by Hapu (Metal)
What would be the time interval? I was there couple weeks back and bought a TB kit/bushings/oil/plugs etc.... Everything is installed, there were no issues.

Thanks,
Pete

Precisiontuning

TDI
n/a
petea4 said:
What would be the time interval? I was there couple weeks back and bought a TB kit/bushings/oil/plugs etc.... Everything is installed, there were no issues.

Thanks,
Pete
They are rated for 100K miles or 160K KM. However; you should inspect your timing belt every 20K for abnormal wear or noise.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Any differences between the Hepu & Geba water pumps?

Precisiontuning

TDI
n/a
Different brands. Geba is normaly $10 cheaper than Hepu or Graf brands. It is not as popular as Hepu or Graf

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
Precisiontuning said:
Different brands. Geba is normaly $10 cheaper than Hepu or Graf brands. It is not as popular as Hepu or Graf
I guess either of the 3 are as good as each other with metal impellers.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
petea4 said:

Thanks,
Pete
Earlier model MKIV TDIs have a different belt than the later ones. I can't remember which year the change occured in. It's just a matter of installing one or two extra parts, and you can put in the longer life belt. The 160Kkm rating is for a manual transmission.

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
Sweet 160K.

I bought the car at auction while VW credit was liquidating. Had 118, and was unsure if the belt was done. Did the belt at 125, and have now done another at 225. So another 160K sounds great.

Pete

Mississauga-Dude

Veteran Member
TDI
1990 Jetta turbo diesel, manual, A/C, C/C
Savageman69 said:
Why not just go to VW Dealership to be certain?

Mississauga-Dude

Veteran Member
TDI
1990 Jetta turbo diesel, manual, A/C, C/C
petea4 said:
Sweet 160K.

I bought the car at auction while VW credit was liquidating. Had 118, and was unsure if the belt was done. Did the belt at 125, and have now done another at 225. So another 160K sounds great.

Pete
When you don't have the service record of last timing belt-change of used diesel, get it done asap so you can start your own schedule. Too risky and costly to guess interval of timing belt change.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Mississauga-Dude said:
Why not just go to VW Dealership to be certain?
Are you serious ???

They'll only replace a 64,000/96,000 km belt with another 64,000/96,000 km belt... and overcharge you for the privilege...

Yuri.

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
Mississauga-Dude said:
When you don't have the service record of last timing belt-change of used diesel, get it done asap so you can start your own schedule. Too risky and costly to guess interval of timing belt change.
Ahh.. that's exactly what i did. Bought the car, checked at the dealer if the TB was done. Nothing. So i did the TB right away. Just did it for a second time couple weeks back.

Pete

Precisiontuning

TDI
n/a
here is a little inside info.

Every retailor in North america gets their parts from 2 main suppliers. These 2 supliers both carry exact same parts which get to them through same importer.

As long as the Rollers are made by INA, Tensioner made by Litens, belt made by conti or Gates they all come from same source.

No supplier carries the old stuff any more. I can not even get the old style belt or tensioner even if I pay more. (Unless you call dealer offcourse)

So as long as you are getting these brands then it does not matter who sells it. They all come through same supplier.

As far as Water pump goes I have had no issues with Graf and Hepu. I have sold 500 to 1000 of these water pumps in past 4 years without a single return. That is good enough reason to carry these 2 brands only.

beartots

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS 5-speed Sedan
I decided not to rack my brain and read all the posts regarding my timing belt. I just called up the boys at H2Sport and they are doing all the work for me. They are ordering all the parts and doing all the work. Warrenty was my concern and since they are doing it all, they'll make sure everything is working good as new.

I took it to H2Sport because no one responded to my looking for a reputable TDi mechanic in the GTA thread from a month ago.

Does anyone have any comments regarding my choices?