center steering wheel

gtalexad

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 ML 350 Bluetec, 2011 JSW TDI (sold), 2005.5 Jetta TDI (sold)
align steering wheel

This might be a stupid qustion. Also if it should be in the ODB forums, maybe a moderator can move this.
Anyway, the steering wheel in the 2005.5 Jetta is not centered . When I drive in a straight line on the highway, the weel is tilted slightly to the left, maybe 3-5 degrees.
I am somewhat reluctant to bring it to the dealership to have it set straight. Is this a mechanical fix, e.g. taking of the wheel and putting it back on, or is this something that I can address with a VAG-COM?
Kinda doubt that a VAG-COM will do, but I thought I ask anyway.
Thanks.
Alex

Last edited:

gtalexad

Veteran Member
TDI
Pretty much. Its not to bad, just enough to be anoying during a long drive. Hopfully a dealer will be willing to fix it 'on the spot', without needing the car for a week. :)

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
First make sure the tyre pressure is matched right to left. It could be that simple.

If not take it to a good alignment shop. Not only should be you able to have it done more quickly, but also likely cost less unless it is covered by the manufacturer's warranty, in which case ... Your choice.

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
alignment

had the same problem from day one just take car to national tire battery they have 2 or 3 year warnty for around 125.00 cheaper than dealer any way my dealer said there shop was no good at alignment for these cars do to there equiment. car was way out of alignment from factory tec said very common for a new car .

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
The key is reputable shop. Some align the car without centering the steering wheel, the car is aligned but the crooked steering wheel drives you crazy. If the car doesn't seem to veer, that is the problem. If the wheel is cocked when they start the alignment, it will be cocked when they are done.

gtalexad

Veteran Member
TDI
The car has about 8000 miles of the 50k warranty left. The car does not veer, so its probably just a crooked steering wheel.

Reading between the lines here it sounds like I should not trust the dealer to do the job right - warranty or not. How much does it run to have national tire and brakes or a similiar shop do the job?

Thanks.

Alexander

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion
shame that you are not closer. I'd be more than happy to align it for you at my buddies shop. The results are amazing when you are in control of the quality of the work that gets done to your car.

maloosheck

Veteran Member
TDI
2K6 1K2 BRM, 2K8 7L6 BWF, 85 16 MF
SVTWEB said:
shame that you are not closer. I'd be more than happy to align it for you at my buddies shop.
Can I stop by? I have the same problem after the dealership aligned my wheels with the Driver's Gear springs.