off-center steering wheel?

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
My steering wheel is not centered on the gauges, it looks like its slightly angles in towards the center of the cabin. Anyone else have a setup like this?

bradfa

Veteran Member
TDI
No TDIs anymore :(
You mean like when going straigt the wheel is turned slightly?

Or do you mean that the steering wheel is actually physically directed at the center of the car if you draw a line normal to the wheel?

I notice that my wheel isn't directly in the center of the driver's seat (but very close), but it comes straight out from the dash, it doesn't point in one direction or the other.

Gothmolly

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I mean that the entire steering column points slightly inward, or towards the passenger if you will. To view the gauge panel perfectly, I have to lean inwards slightly.

madrean

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
when i had new tires installed a while back, i had them do an alignment.

when i got the car back, i noticed that my steering wheel was a little to one side (can't remember which way, doesn't matter).

i decided it wasn't worth having them "fix" it as the car couldn't care less if the steering wheel is off center.

later on down the road when i replaced the tires again and had the alignment redone, the problem was fixed.

SO, i'm wondering, have you done anything to your alignment lately?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
If I have this right, if you made a line straight across the steering wheel, it would not be square with the centerline of the car, not an alignment issue.

madrean

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
whitedog, if both tie rods are adjusted an equal amount in the same direction, wouldn't this result in a cocked steering wheel?

gothmolly, i'm only saying this because i believe this happened to me in the past (pre alignment, steering wheel ok, post alignment, steering off).

(i'm by no means an aligment or crooked steering wheel expert)

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
TDIRyan said:
get the alignment checked.

Angled does not have anything to do with the spoke orientation.

Any yes, they do angle just slightly.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
madrean said:
whitedog, if both tie rods are adjusted an equal amount in the same direction, wouldn't this result in a cocked steering wheel?

gothmolly, i'm only saying this because i believe this happened to me in the past (pre alignment, steering wheel ok, post alignment, steering off).

That is exactly the issue. These morons don't know how to do an alignment. The left tie rod NEVER gets adjusted. You do the toe setting from the right tie rod.

madrean

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
jasonTDI said:
That is exactly the issue. These morons don't know how to do an alignment. The left tie rod NEVER gets adjusted. You do the toe setting from the right tie rod.
yes, this is what i have read recently (that you should only adjust the right side). i have a feeling that the first time the alignment was done on my car (at sears) they were doing trial and error with BOTH sides and i ended up with a crooked steering wheel.

no big deal, just looks kinda funny.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
madrean said:

But this has nothing to do with gothmollys situation.

Another way to put it is that steering column, as you follow it forward, is not inline with the centerline of the car.