Second round of buybacks?

15tdi

TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Has anyone heard if there will be a second round of buybacks? Maybe for people that want to change their minds. I have had part 1 of fix completed. I would like to change to buyback if possible. I searched and found nothing relating to this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
What is proposed in the OP would require a re-negotiation of the legal settlement. At this stage, not happening.

roni024

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL DSG
AFAIK, the only way you could possibly switch from fix to buyback after the fix has been performed/started is if the fix caused irreparable damage to your car.

15tdi

TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
What if phase 2 never shows up. Hasn’t it already been delayed once?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Phase II has already been approved - all we are waiting on is for the parts to get to the dealers to do the work.

Look - if you thought you could change your mind - you were mistaken. What you COULD do is try to sell your car to someone who wants it anyway - and if they are foolish enough , you might get the buyback price (but I sincerely doubt it). You could trade it in - but again, I would not count on the buyback price.

It was stated repeatedly that the buyback / fix decision was an either / or - there was no going back after receiving money for one or the other.

I'm sorry you feel the way you do, but you boxed yourself in.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
You can't eat your cake and have it too.

What's wrong with your fix? or you just having buyers remorse signing your name for VW's blood money?

15tdi

TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Nothing wrong with fix so far. Just miss my Tacoma that I gave to my son. Should have taken buyback as it would seem the car is near worthless now. Could have gotten almost all my money back if taken buyback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Worthless? Are you kidding me? We have been looking for another TDI, and they keep getting bought before we can get there. There is still plenty of demand and value . . .

cyclopropene

TDI
12 Golf DSG (Bought Back 12-12-18)
Worthless? Are you kidding me? We have been looking for another TDI, and they keep getting bought before we can get there. There is still plenty of demand and value . . .
I'll sell you my 2012 Golf at the end of the year if you want. Sunroof/Nav/blue. It's in pretty good shape and will have about 125k by then. It will shortly need tires, timing belt, battery, brakes and DSG service. Several cosmetic dents and dings and some apple sauce stains on the headliner in the back from my kids (don't ask).
$21000.
Heck, I'll give you a $25 tdiclub discount since that's more than I paid for it 100,000 miles ago. Located in MA, you will have to pick up at a location closer than the local VW dealership (~1 mile away).
;)

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Sorry, we just bought a CPO TDI Jetta yesterday, and I just plain don't fit a Golf . . .

And not sure where you are getting your price from, since I doubt that was much more than 21k new, and KBB shows it should gomfor 7500 - 9600 (at least here) vs 2800 to 3800 for the gasser, both at your mileage.

So, I stand by my comment . . . .looks like the value isn't too bad for a 6 yrar old car with non trivial mileage . . . andfigure that you got at least $5100 for the fix, so you would be up about $14K, so again, I don't get it . . .

Oh, and service costs hit on any car, so also not really relevant. It's a cost of driving, no?

Last edited:

cyclopropene

TDI
12 Golf DSG (Bought Back 12-12-18)
Sorry, we just bought a CPO TDI Jetta yesterday, and I just plain don't fit a Golf . . .
And not sure where you are getting your price from, since I doubt that was much more than 21k new, and KBB shows it should gomfor 7500 - 9600 (at least here) vs 2800 to 3800 for the gasser, both at your mileage.
So, I stand by my comment . . . .looks like the value isn't too bad for a 6 yrar old car with non trivial mileage . . . andfigure that you got at least $5100 for the fix, so you would be up about $14K, so again, I don't get it . . .
Oh, and service costs hit on any car, so also not really relevant. It's a cost of driving, no?
The price is the buyback--I thought that would have been obvious. I did not get the fix.
I bought it CPO in 2014. I will drive it until the end of the year and sell it to VW for about 21k. You shouldn't buy it because VW is offering more than it's worth--that was the point, since OP had "fixer's remorse."

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
No, because it is irrelevant . . . . political poo flinging does not define value . . .

And even if we accept that figure, the best case upside of fix and sell at about $15K may be less, but is hardly 'worthless' . . . .

Greed has taken over from common sense at times here, at least as I see it . . . to the point that I am considering refusing the fix check, since I have been done zero damage, and the fix makes the 'huggers happy . . . For me, the car does exactly what I bought it to do . . .

Last edited:

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
No, because it is irrelevant . . . . political poo flinging does not define value . . .

And even if we accept that figure, the best case upside of fix and sell at about $15K may be less, but is hardly 'worthless' . . . .

Greed has taken over from common sense at times here, at least as I see it . . . to the point that I am considering refusing the fix check, since I have been done zero damage, and the fix makes the 'huggers happy . . . For me, the car does exactly what I bought it to do . . .
LOL

Don't take your $5100 fix check and that will show the Tree Huggers? Show them what? That sounds political and downright stupid. But if you want to make an expensive point, fling away

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
No, it would show that I don't respect political idiocy . . . .

Expensive? I lose nothing, since I never had it. I see it as avoiding greed . . . since I have done nothing to deserve it. And after all, wasn't this entire settlement nothing more that the EPA making an expensive point?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
wow that escalated quickly!!!

Sorry the OP has fix remorse, yeah the resale of fixed cars is going to tank. Thats why when I told the wife when we bought out '15 Passat, can you see yourself in this car for another 3-5 years? My only hope is that when she wants something newer we will just hold onto the Passat be a three car household and keep the AT as a 4mo hauler and rack up the miles on the Passat.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
For us, we do think the fix is crap. The JSW doesn't have the torque feel it used to. It holds second and third much longer without adding power. If we had an opportunity to test drive a fixed car before getting ours done, we would be VW free. Or at least we would be by the end of the year.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Not sure on the Jetta, but I have noticed on the Passat that the throttle mapping (IE, what reaction you get vs. pedal position) seems to have changed with the fix. At first, it seems less powerful since it's not what you are used to at a given throttle pedal pressure. I found that once I got used to the new mapping, things are the same in terms of power, it just happens with a different "foot feel". Considering that these cars are "drive by wire", the correlation between pedal position and power delivered is tentative at best, unlike mechanical linkages which were absolute. Can't speak to the transmission - we have the 2013 Passat (unfixed) and the 2015 (fixed) and other than the pedal position, they really don't feel different to me . . . again, may or may not be relevant to the Jetta . . .

On "can you see yourself in this car in 3 to 5 years" I must be an odd duck . . . Living here in the south where cars don't rot out from under you, for me, if I can't see myself in it for at least 10, I don't buy it . . . . I pretty much use up 99 to 100 percent of the car, and then move on . . . . typically well past 10 years . . .

- Tim

Last edited: