Fix for '12-'14 manual, 6sp, passats??!?!

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
Yes, the emission warranties are transferable.
Does that include the DSG? If so, then it sounds like a private sale would be acceptable. I had hoped for a manual as I understand the DSG requires expensive servicing.

Dave

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The emissions warranty doesn't cover the transmission (DSG) and never did. Engine, yes. Transmission, no.

DSG transmission requires occasional oil changes, but it's not rocket science.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
The emissions warranty doesn't cover the transmission (DSG) and never did. Engine, yes. Transmission, no.

DSG transmission requires occasional oil changes, but it's not rocket science.
I understand a DSG controller flash is required as part of the emissions fix. That this could not be done to the manuals seems likely to be the reason VW had to give up on them. Certainly sounds like it ought to be covered as well.

Dave

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
What tells you they gave up? The last I heard was it was still in process. Note also that prior to this, absolutely everything that the naysayers have said would/could not be fixed has been, so I think this just may be a matter of time. And even if not, they are still legal to drive as is . . .

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
What tells you they gave up? The last I heard was it was still in process. Note also that prior to this, absolutely everything that the naysayers have said would/could not be fixed has been, so I think this just may be a matter of time. And even if not, they are still legal to drive as is . . .
Did you read the notice? First & second paragraphs seem clear to me.

Subject: Withdrawal of Approved Emissions Modification Application 2012-2014 Model Year Volkswagen Passat 2.0L TDI Manual Transmission

Dear Volkswagen Owner or Lessee,

As part of Volkswagen's Court-approved settlements with the United States Department of Justice (DOJ), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the California Air Resources Board (CARB), the California Attorney General’s Office (CAAG), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and class plaintiffs represented by the Court-appointed Class Counsel, we are informing you that Volkswagen has withdrawn the application for an emissions modification for 2012-2014 model year 2.0L TDI (GEN 2) Volkswagen Passat vehicles with manual transmissions. Our records show that you may be the owner or lessee of a vehicle affected by this action. The purpose of this letter is to inform you of that withdrawal and provide you with information on your options. Please visit VWCourtSettlement.com for more information on this issue contact us at 844-98 CLAIM.

Why am I receiving this notice? Volkswagen has withdrawn its application for an emissions modification for 2012-
2014 model year 2.0L TDI (GEN 2) Volkswagen Passat vehicles with manual transmissions. This notice is to inform you that an Approved Emissions Modification will be not be available for your vehicle.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Correct - you can still keep driving them. However, you will not receive any restitution unless you do the buyback.

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
Correct - you can still keep driving them. However, you will not receive any restitution unless you do the buyback.
To expand on this a bit. Owners of 2012-2014 Passat SE TDI models equipped with a manual transmission will be stuck with an orphan car with respect to the emission system.

Why would I think this? While all the gov agencies and VW cannot force you to sell or quit driving your car, VW is NOT going to come up with a fix. That part is obvious. Ask yourself, will VW support any unfixed cars with parts and service with respect to the emission system? VW is not going to support the 2012-2014 Passat SE TDI cars equipped with a manual transmission with respect to the emission system as these models have an illegal emission system.

So what? I'll just keep driving my car. My take is VW will stop supplying original replacement emission system parts after the phase-2 fix is out. All the parts from that point forward will be phase-2 replacement parts. Stock emission parts for unfixed Passats will dry up fast. This would include salvage parts as well as all Passats sold back will be scrapped and it is illegal for any salvage yard to sell emission parts off the cars. There is language to this effect buried in the settlement agreement.

Can phase-2 parts be retrofitted to 2012-2014 Passat SE TDIs equipped with manual transmissions? Yes, the phase-2 replacement emission system parts will probably bolt right on, but it won't work with the stock ECU. Also, VW will not sell you the parts outright. They will only sell the phase-2 replacement parts under warranty to owners who have completed the fix. This is why VW has given such a generous extended warranty to owners, to prevent any phase-2 parts from slipping out the door and into cars outside of VW's control.

So what are the options of owners who kept or recently bought a 2012-2014 Passat SE TDI equipped with a manual transmission? Catalyst delete tune is the cheapest option. Sooner or later the emission system will fail and cause trouble lights or worse if the DPF can no longer perform regens and plugs up or the DEF system fails and shuts your car down.

I found a decent replacement car with the phase-1 fix and extended warranty for less than what I'm selling my car back to VW for. As VW sifts through its buy-back inventory for cars worthy of fixing and reselling, there should be a constant inventory of decent used & fixed cars. As the 2015 Passat SE TDI equipped with a manual transmission is the rarest of them all, you have to search and pounce when you find the car. When I found my 2015 I immediately called the dealer and negotiated the deal, bought one-way tickets for wifey & I, then flew out as soon as I could. I bought my car Monday eve, drove it home Tuesday.

It's all good now.

:)

Last edited:

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I think that you will find that the legal requirement to support a vehicle for a minimum number of years (can't recall the specific) will still be in play here, requiring VW to support these cars moving forward. The car is *legal* at this poont, the emission system is simply *non compliant*, thus they are not legally prevented from supporting it, especially considering the laws that require them to do so . . . This will also have negligible impact on aftermarket parts suppliers, who will likely enjoy the lack of OEM competition . . .

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
My take is VW will stop supplying original replacement emission system parts after the phase-2 fix is out. All the parts from that point forward will be phase-2 replacement parts. Stock emission parts for unfixed Passats will dry up fast.
My understanding is the emissions fix for Gen 2 DSG Passat's is software only, and there's no difference in engine emission systems between DSG and MT engines. There is no change in emission system components, so emissions parts aren't going to "dry up".

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
My understanding is the emissions fix for Gen 2 DSG Passat's is software only, and there's no difference in engine emission systems between DSG and MT engines. There is no change in emission system components, so emissions parts aren't going to "dry up".
OK, I understand where I misinterpreted the fix for the different generation engines. I own both gen-2 and gen-3 cars with manual transmissions. It's the gen-3 car that is getting the phase-2 fix which includes a hardware upgrade sometime in 2018 regardless of which transmission it has. Since there is no gen-2 fix with manual transmissions I didn't carefully read through the gen-2 fix for the DSG or the gen-1 fix. Gen-1 engines also get a two part fix, firmware update and hardware update.

Thank you for pointing this out. This does indeed change things for those who choose to keep their 2012-2014 Gen-2 Passat SE TDIs cars equipped with a manual transmission.

Last edited:

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, I understand where I misinterpreted the fix for the different generation engines. I own both gen-2 and gen-3 cars with manual transmissions. It's the gen-3 car that is getting the phase-2 fix which includes a hardware upgrade sometime in 2018 regardless of which transmission it has. Since there is no gen-2 fix with manual transmissions I didn't carefully read through the gen-2 fix for the DSG or the gen-1 fix. Gen-1 engines also get a two part fix, firmware update and hardware update.

Thank you for pointing this out. This does indeed change things for those who choose to keep their 2012-2014 Gen-2 Passat SE TDIs cars equipped with a manual transmission.

It also impacts those who own one and wish to sell it, as unlike its DSG brothers there is no extended warranty to attract a buyer. So unless I miss my guess there is a big incentive to participate in the buyback unless you plan to drive it until it falls apart, as you will never get a better offer.

Dave

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I think that you will find that the legal requirement to support a vehicle for a minimum number of years (can't recall the specific) will still be in play here, requiring VW to support these cars moving forward. The car is *legal* at this poont, the emission system is simply *non compliant*, thus they are not legally prevented from supporting it, especially considering the laws that require them to do so . . . This will also have negligible impact on aftermarket parts suppliers, who will likely enjoy the lack of OEM competition . . .
Such a requirement does not exist. It's a common myth. Many supplies of factory parts dry up within five years, and for some parts (such as complete wiring harnesses) it can be as short as two. http://www.autonews.com/article/20131102/OEM10/311049982/factory-parts-for-an-older-car?-good-luck

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
As I expected, I received the withdraw letter from VW today. It's the same as the online PDF.

At least I acted on my hunch and picked up a nice 2015 a few months ago. I switched my 2014 from fix to buy-back and the 2014 goes back to VW in 2 weeks. Not what I wanted but I am coming out ahead on the deal.

marcg007

TDI
2013 passat
F me. 2013 w6peed manual

So i was waiting for the fix, get the fix done , get the restitution payment, then have the malone tuning done.

2 months ago garage does oil change, never drains oil, adds another 4 quarts. 8 miles later car runsaway. Then motor breaks connecting rod an goes thru engine block.

I find a replacement motor on ebay with.........9 miles( motor was from a car carrier insurance claim, motor cam with vin number to a car that was never delivered to any dealership),have the motor put in. All repaired. oil change place agrees to pay for new motor. 2900 said an done. Got check.

When motor was out i decided to put a dkm clutch in. 1200. plus new clutch can handle more torque.

3 months ago put new tires, slotted rotors an pads.

Vw says buyback 18,600. but there is no option now that suggests i want to keep car.

Plan was to get resitution pay, get the cr190 turbo kit from aarodriguez , malone tuning. New clutch can handle more. Perfect timing i thougt.

Cars paid off 2 years ago. New motor,, new clutch, new tires an better then ever brakes..

What should i do.??

Last edited:

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
What should i do.??
Not much to do, sell it or keep it.

Option 1. Figure out what your car is worth if you sold it back to VW. Here is a buy-back calculator.
http://phpbbcalendarmod.com/buyback/index.php/calculator/

This isn't exactly what VW will give you but it will be very close. Considering the cost of your upgrades, can you live with this number? Yes? Sell you car and move on.

Option 2. Keep the car, continue on with your upgrades, drive it, and enjoy it. Not much else to do.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
Not much to do, sell it or keep it.

Option 1. Figure out what your car is worth if you sold it back to VW. Here is a buy-back calculator.
http://phpbbcalendarmod.com/buyback/index.php/calculator/

This isn't exactly what VW will give you but it will be very close. Considering the cost of your upgrades, can you live with this number? Yes? Sell you car and move on.

Option 2. Keep the car, continue on with your upgrades, drive it, and enjoy it. Not much else to do.

Also factor into your equation that no fix means no extended warranty.

Dave

BKmetz

Staff member
TDI
Also factor into your equation that no fix means no extended warranty.

Dave
The impact of no extended warranty can be negated by an emission delete tune. Of course there is no warranty on the rest of the car either so one has to weigh that in.

The inverse of that is that if marcg007 does the buy-back and gets around ~$18,600 for his 2013, he can buy a 2015 for the same or maybe even less money. I paid just under $17k for my 2015. The 2015 6mt models are out there and have a huge extended warranty. The downside is the car cannot have a non-stock tune or any tampering with the emission system to take advantage of that warranty.

Now, if marcg700 can afford to buy a 2015 before he sells his 2013, he can swap some of his upgraded parts to his 2015 (brakes and tires).

I feel the pain of selling a car that has some expensive upgrades. My 2014 has dealer installed fog-lights (~$750), window tint (~$400), and protective clear film on the whole front of the car (~$900). My only satisfaction is that I'm breaking even in selling my 2014 for what I paid for my 2015, what my upgrades cost on the 2014, and my travel expenses in going to go get the 2015.

To me, selling made sense once I found an acceptable replacement car. Until then, as everyone else, I didn't know what to do.

CMac

TDI
2014 Passat SE TDI 6MT
2014 Passat tdi with 6sp manual WON'T be fixed

I have received a postal letter from VW, and also an email saying that there will NOT be a fix for 2012-2014 2.0l TDI with 6-speed manual transmission Passat vehicles - I have a 2014 Passat tdi manual. I called the VW diesel gate help center and was told the only option will be to sell the vehicle back to VW and that on the internet site my account had been reset so I could fill out the buyback option instead of keeping the car. I have until Sept 1, 2018 to fill out the paperwork and sell the car back to VW.
I will NOT be able to keep the car as I can't license it in my state (Colorado) due to the emissions failures, every two years you need to have your vehicle emission tested and are required to repair it if it fails. Without a factory fix for the emissions they are simply going to refuse to renew the license plates.
Not happy about this at all, I bought the diesel for the mileage and I don't want a hybrid, really nothing out there that I want to replace my Passat. :mad:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I will NOT be able to keep the car as I can't license it in my state (Colorado) due to the emissions failures, every two years you need to have your vehicle emission tested and are required to repair it if it fails. Without a factory fix for the emissions they are simply going to refuse to renew the license plates.
This piece of it is not true for 45 of 50 US states (sorry, I can't find the information at the moment which identifies whether Colorado was one of the 5). In all of the 45 states that accepted cash as part of VW's settlement, part of the agreement is that these cars can continue to be registered, with or without being "fixed", as long as they pass the usual periodic inspections - which is an OBDII check - which, as long as your "check engine" lamp is not on, it will pass.

If you want to keep the car - provided you don't live in one of the 5 states that didn't accept VW's cash - you can.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
If you do some looking you should be able to find which 5 states did not take VW money on the settlement - I'll see if I can find it.

Edit - in thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=475532&highlight=states

the states are Arizona, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Vermont and West Virginia.

Every other state is required to let you continue to drive your "unfixed" car for the rest of its lifetime, as long as it passes other things as well (safety inspection, etc.).

Last edited:

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Not happy about this at all, I bought the diesel for the mileage and I don't want a hybrid, really nothing out there that I want to replace my Passat. :mad:
A 2015 Passat manual?

You should be able to sell your car back to VW and buy a very similar car for a similar amount of money. It will have less miles and a super long warranty.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
What should i do.??
Ask yourself: if I needed a car and someone was selling this exact car for $18,600 right now, is that a good deal? Would I buy it?

If you think that its overpriced, that means you should sell it back to VW and find a 2015 if you must have a Passat. There are tons of TDIs for sale right now.

Edit: right now cars.com shows 839 2015 Passats for sale. 23 manual. You can also search autotrader, searchtempest/autotempest, cargurus...

Last edited:

kschroep

TDI
2012 Passat 2.0
Well that sucks.
For those of us wishing to keep the car we should get money as though we went in for a fix.
Or offer to retrofit an automatic and give us money.
Or that A8L diesel
Yes, I agree. It seems VW has gone out of their way to keep "everyone else" happy (with fix and sizable restitution payment or buy back) but for the few 6 speed manual Passat people - too bad. Take our buy back offer or go fly a kite.
Guess there is too few of us to worry about a class action suit from us.
Looks like the last VW I will own.

inthered

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Yes, I agree. It seems VW has gone out of their way to keep "everyone else" happy (with fix and sizable restitution payment or buy back) but for the few 6 speed manual Passat people - too bad. Take our buy back offer or go fly a kite.

Guess there is too few of us to worry about a class action suit from us.

Looks like the last VW I will own.

Well that is disheartening to hear. I have had a lot of issues finding a suitable replacement and decided to keep the car earlier this year.

Now that word is coming around about the Mazda CX-5 diesel again I am interested if it can achieve 40mpg.

N2UADTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
Does this mean New Jersey will allow un-fixed cars?

http://www.nj.gov/oag/newsreleases16/pr20160205c.html

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2017/03/vw_emissions_settlement_could_be_windfall_for_nj_p.html

Just want to get correct info. I live in NJ and our TDI is fixed.
NJ did away with a safety inspection years ago. All they do is plug into the OBD port and make sure the CEL is off. I don't know what data they are taking from the car thru the OBD port. Perhaps software and hardware versions?
I've always wanted to put a 'tap' on the OBD port and record the conversation. Using an Arduino or pi.

If you do some looking you should be able to find which 5 states did not take VW money on the settlement - I'll see if I can find it.

Edit - in thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=475532&highlight=states

the states are Arizona, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Vermont and West Virginia.

Every other state is required to let you continue to drive your "unfixed" car for the rest of its lifetime, as long as it passes other things as well (safety inspection, etc.).

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So, place yourself in VW's position for a moment. What do you do if you attempt to develop a fix for the problem (which they did), and submit it for approval (which they did), and it fails - albeit by the slimmest of margins (which it did), and you've already tried every viable technical solution (which we don't know, but we do know that they initially stated that they would re-submit something, which later turned into a withdrawal of the submission)?

What do you do? They tried ... they did not succeed?

The situation they are in now, is the only one legally allowed by the various agreements that they have been made.