Broken piston after 343k kms(rebuild help)

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
ArturCosta said:
The engine will run at idle for 1day more less... then I will be gentle in the first 500kms of the engine ;)

Run at idle for one day.. are you joking?:eek:

I did around 200km's easy just pull now and then an avoid very high revs the first 100km's or so..

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
Finally the camshaft arrived!

I think that the turbo is also ceramic coated already so now the only thing missing is...putting it together :D

Pics to come.

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
Very interesting read.

I've got a 1.9 that had a run away situation a couple years ago sitting in the garage waiting for a rebuild. It could definitely use some extra goodies thrown in :)

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
killerjetta said:
Very interesting read.

I've got a 1.9 that had a run away situation a couple years ago sitting in the garage waiting for a rebuild. It could definitely use some extra goodies thrown in :)

You must have quite a few quid/$$$$$$'s in the 2 years you've been saving then!!:eek: :D

killerjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI, 2001, White
mojogoes said:
You must have quite a few quid/$$$$$$'s in the 2 years you've been saving then!!:eek: :D
I wish.

Law school isn't cheap my friend. Plus, my Nissan takes a good bit of time and money as well. Modding is such a disease!

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is the EGT gauge.. forgot to take a foto of the probe bit this is the "nice" part :D

And the Cam:

Turbo probably only on monday :(

Regards,

dieseleux

Théoricien -TDIClub Contributor
TDI
Jetta TDI 02
ArturCosta said:
Here is the EGT gauge.. forgot to take a foto of the probe bit this is the "nice" part :D

I have this EGT gauge in my car.
Good device for price but is sensitive to sun in summer when the car are in parking, do not run meter when no vent in a car, meter run hot.
I have 2, one for EGT and one for o2 Wide band (LC1 innovate), i program meter for say air/fuel 22:1 to 8:1 with 5 to 0 volt and alarm at 13:1 or less when inject too high fuel in my engine!

Dieseleux

Keith_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta MT
ArturCosta said:
Turbo arrived :D

Its going slow now but its going...

Regards
It is a thing of beauty! When mine gives out, that is what I want to do...complete with a high flow catalyst and 2.5" DP.

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI

Re polished inlet ;)

The engine is already build but I havent had the time yet to go there and take some pics. Probably tomorrow will have more news.

Hope this week , finally, I can hear it working again :D

Regards

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Is that a broken turbo? or the new one? The clearance between the compressor wheel and the housing looks whisteling :eek:

look at some pics from a stock garrett turbo out of the box for comparison

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
Is that a broken turbo? or the new one? The clearance between the compressor wheel and the housing looks whisteling :eek:

look at some pics from a stock garrett turbo out of the box for comparison
Its not new ,but it is the one thats going into the car:D

It has more clearance because the housing was polished .... one of the companies that worked the turbo sandblasted it so to re polish it the clearance became bigger.

Yes , it will certainly whistle more but it has now a better calibration so it will probably compensate ;)

But any down side on this? :confused:

Regards

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
I just fetched some old pics of the turbo when it arrived in 2006 and the clearance is not that different. You are noticing more clearance on the upper left blade because of some shadowing of the flash... to take that pic the camera was like 10cm from the turbo so the flash generates shadows ;)

mojogoes

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk3 tdi golf
Arthur.........its also because of the angle in which the picture was taken , nothing to worry about.

P.S....If it had have been taken from head on the blades would have looked nice and tight up against the housing!!

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
mojogoes said:
Arthur.........its also because of the angle in which the picture was taken , nothing to worry about.

P.S....If it had have been taken from head on the blades would have looked nice and tight up against the housing!!
Yes, that was what I meant. The flash is 3-4cm from the lens on my camera so any picture take in macro with flash will have this type of shadowing ;)

Hope to have some pictures of the rest on Tuesday.
The engine is already put together , water pump , oil pump , pistons etc.
The head was missing the valve seals but I think they where installed yesterday.
Probably the EGT probe was also installed yesterday.

I just dont have time today and tomorrow to visit her :rolleyes:

BTW, im driving a ibiza 1.9d IDI engine using Mobil Super S 10w40... the car runs great but the oil is already 14k kms old... more 500-1000km will hurt that much on this engine? The oil is at level.

Regards

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Its alive again!!! :D

The engine has a really smooth sound but with a higher injection sound probably due to the higher opening pressure of the injectors.

IQ was set to 5-6mg and Timing is a little over the blue line ;)

Even with the IQ at 6 it starts fine.. since the remap was for a IQ of 3mg/r.
Will now put a break in remap with 130bhp and 1bar and lets burn some fuel :D

P.S. I was already missing "her" :D

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKZF5zpVaGg

The engine has now 300km , today at arrive at home after 65km I went wot (stock remap) from 1500rpm to 2200rpm in 3rd and the engine seems really nice :D Smooth and strong.

Max EGTs I got was 510ºC going uphill at 2400rpm at 120kmh... are this normal values?

Regards

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
mojogoes said:
Arthur maybe the low reading is because your probe is fitted after the turbo.
Yes , its fitted after the turbo.. but my doubt was the opposite ... isnt that to high for that speed? Cruising at 120kmh uphill makes 500ºC... what will it do in the same place going at 200kmh? :rolleyes:

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
depends on what boost you run
Before it went "cabum" I was running 1.6-1.7bars with PP502 and all the fuel I could get... 180bhp it dynoed.

Now with only 0,4-0,5bars uphill using like 25mg of fuel.. it did 500ºC?

What values do you get like steady 3000rpm in the high way (that like 150kmh on my car)?

Regards

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Small update , now with 6000km.

Oil was changed at 4500km and oil cooler was connected again (did the break in with oil cooler off).

Here is a video of it runing... sounds awesome after 4000rpm :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiddBRBbkkg

The thing is that now with only 1.6bars I run out of fuel , there is nearly no smoke at high rpm... I will have to put an order on Race520 :D

Here is also the new intake manifold :

EDIT: About EGTs , I did 800ºC on 25ºC days with 1.3bars and a some fuel... after SOI tuning and 1.5bars the max I got was 750ºC going uphill at 210kmh ;)

Regards

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Do you measure EGT after the turbine? or isn't that an EGT sensor I see there after the flex section in your downpipe?

ArturCosta said:
Small update , now with 6000km.

Oil was changed at 4500km and oil cooler was connected again (did the break in with oil cooler off).

Here is a video of it runing... sounds awesome after 4000rpm :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiddBRBbkkg

The thing is that now with only 1.6bars I run out of fuel , there is nearly no smoke at high rpm... I will have to put an order on Race520 :D

Here is also the new intake manifold :

EDIT: About EGTs , I did 800ºC on 25ºC days with 1.3bars and a some fuel... after SOI tuning and 1.5bars the max I got was 750ºC going uphill at 210kmh ;)

Regards

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes that is the EGT probe. Right after the turbine its "reinforced" so it would be more difficult to install it so it ended up there.
I think that 50 to 100ºC less then after the turbine and 100 to 200ºC less then before turbine.

What do you think?

Regards

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
800° after turbin says me that you're easily making 900°c before.. if you take a car with DPF you can see in channel 75 temp before turbine, temp after turbine and temp after dpf, under full load there's often around 200°c temp drop over the turbine..

or did you measure 600° in that position?