MK5 : DSG Gasket/Fluid/Filter Replacement HELP?

billiebbyy

TDI
‘06 VW Jetta TDI - BRM Engine 212k Miles - 2nd Owner - DIYer
So I’m about to do my first DSG fluid/filter change. The car is almost fifteen years old (2006) so most of the rubber has or on the brink of disintegrating... When I change the fluid, I’m also going to change the gasket but I saw a hole on the pan that has two rubber seals as well that you can see the mechatronics unit through (from the diagram I saw). I’m just curious if there is anything I need to know before getting into this job. It’s definitely due for a change so any info or DIYs you can link would be greatly appreciated. I’m just a little hesitant being that I’ve never done this before. I could get in there and it all be self explanatory, but I’d love to hear your opinions beforehand in case it isn’t. ��

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 1999.5 jettaIV,2005 BEW Beetle
Whoa Nelly!
The only gaskets you need is an aluminum ring washer for the drain plug and the o ring that comes with most filters. The front pan does not come off needlessly for a typical maintenance service. Is yours leaking?

billiebbyy

TDI
Whoa Nelly!
The only gaskets you need is an aluminum ring washer for the drain plug and the o ring that comes with most filters. The front pan does not come off needlessly for a typical maintenance service. Is yours leaking?

Well ALL the rubber on the car has gone to hell; so I planned on replacing the gaskets when I do the service... that’s all. As far as I’m aware, no leak. Any DIY or advice you can give me? Lmao.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Unless there is a leak, there is no need to mess with the M-unit cover. And if there IS a leak, in some cases, it is fluid seeping up the M-unit's connector itself, and no amount of resealing the cover and pass-through o-rings will fix it.

The filter is just a simple cap with an o-ring towards the rear of the transmission, up top.

In some cases, the ATF cooler seals can leak, too. Not common though.

phantom1260

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta GL IDI, 2010 Jetta TDI (Sold)
And if there IS a leak, in some cases, it is fluid seeping up the M-unit's connector itself, and no amount of resealing the cover and pass-through o-rings will fix it.
If the connector is leaking will it cause fault codes? The dealer is telling me the leaking connector is causing a P1814 code and is there no solution other than to replace the M-Unit.

P1814 - Pressure Control Valve 1 (N215): Open/Short to Ground.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The leaking connector is not causing that, but the faulty pressure control valve is, and that is part of the M-unit.

There may be some aftermarket bits available that allow you to purchase that solenoid by itself, but Volkswagen does not sell it.

billiebbyy

TDI
Unless there is a leak, there is no need to mess with the M-unit cover. And if there IS a leak, in some cases, it is fluid seeping up the M-unit's connector itself, and no amount of resealing the cover and pass-through o-rings will fix it.
The filter is just a simple cap with an o-ring towards the rear of the transmission, up top.
In some cases, the ATF cooler seals can leak, too. Not common though.
Really? Well damn. I figured it’d be as simple as it seemed. A couple bolts and bam! Done. So the rubber gasket shouldn’t be deteriorating like the others are? I mean, it might not see the amount of heat the engine gaskets do, but I figured it wouldn’t hurt...?

JETaah

TDI
Might as well change the air in the tires while you are at it. What could it hurt? ;)
But really, it is not a common point of failure. Ive seen a pile of these DSG cars since they came out some 15 years ago and I don't think that I have changed a gasket due to its failure. I have changed one or two because the cover rusted enough to cause problems with the seal.

Last edited:

billiebbyy

TDI
Might as well change the air in the tires while you are at it. What could it hurt? ;)
But really, it is not a common point of failure. Ive seen a pile of these DSG cars since they came out some 15 years ago and I don't think that I have changed a gasket due to its failure. I have changed one or two because the cover rusted enough to cause problems with the seal.
Lmao. I’ve already done that. ??
But honestly, idk if it has failed or not... I just know what I’ve seen go on so far with it and it’s always a rubber piece. Fckin always. So how does the DSG get low on fluid? Does it heat to the point of disappearing? Or...? I just don’t understand how it can lose pressure by fluid loss if (hypothetically) there isn’t a leak..?

JETaah

TDI
Axle flange and input shaft seals can lose fluid slowly enough so that it is not really obvious as a leak. Call it seepage.

If I've noticed it anywhere, it is there or, as mentioned above, at the harness connector vent. (little brass looking hole inside the transmission-side multi-pin connector)

Don't really know why it would ooze from there as there is a case vent right next to it but it happens often enough.