The 1998 B5 Passat TDI (one of 2 stateside?)

Benjamin

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Tdi Jetta Mine, 2008 Jeep GC CRD, 2005 Passat TDi
Thank's so much all the pictures and info in the thread. I have been lately looking at cars from Europe as next year I should be able to maybe import one. Here in Canada after 15 years we can import cars from over sea's and my goal is Passat Syncro Wagon with a 6 speed and a TDi.

1998 Passat 4motion Wagon

There is still a lot of things to figure out, but my goal is Passat like this, just with 4motion :D. All these pictures and information has been great to see what I am getting into. Its good to see you have found parts as well for the engine as this has been something I was a tad worried about.

Thanks again.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
After procrastinating on finishing my exhaust, my temporary hanger wasn't doing the job, 4 times... so I just made a real one.

I also improved my AFR readings ;)

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Exhaust is almost done, except once again, I ran out of Argon. I think I need a second tank.

Downpipe from engine bay

from under

Moroso muffler right after the downpipe

And I ran out of Argon.

I wish I could say all the welds looked this good, but I am getting better

Fauvay

TDI
2000 Golf
Just finished reading all 21 pages of this thread. Super fun to see the mods and progress. Jon, wish I would have read this before I got the privilege of riding in the Passat. I could have appreciated it a lot more than I did.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I just couldn't take those torn up seats anymore, so instead of waiting to do the entire interior, I just swapped the seats. These ones are so much more comfortable!

The rest of the parts will get swapped one of these nice spring weekends. Maybe one of these holiday weekends.

JRedig

TDI
BEW
I just got done reading this and the porsche thread, I gotta tip my hat Jon, you work hard!

A thought on the bellypan/dampening stuff...truck bed liners/rubberized undercoating spray? I was planning on putting a double layer of DIY-spraycan-rubberized undercoating to the evo plate before installing. It's kinda like dynamat in a can, IME.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Not sure if I posted that info here. I did a little research on that stuff, Truck bed liner does nothing for sound dampening, I did coat the inside of my pan with rubberized under coating, it is supposed to work. I haven't really noticed any difference but I bet it helps just a little bit to take the ring out of the metal.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
I thought this looked like a nice setting. Here is how it sits as of now.

I just wish that was my garage. It has 18' ceilings!

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
I was driving thru a neighborhood this evening where I turned to my wife and said that I don't need much garage space just two double car garages which was much less than what were seeing at the time.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I've heard of "biturbo" but till now I don't think anyone has tried a "triturbo" set-up.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Mercedes and BMW have... and in BMW's case, it's a production engine.

Mercedes ran two small turbos, one for each bank of the V, and one huge turbo, in a sequential setup.

I'm not entirely sure what BMW is doing, whether it's compound or a triple sequential - it almost sounds like it's sequential, going from a small turbo to a compound?

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
Lots of truck guys run tripples. Some run 1 stock turbo and 2 slightly smaller turbos feeding them, others go bigger.

Turbo is fighting me every step of the way. Its almost out.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
More turbo pics:

see the vane in the back - its bent back and broken
Oily mess - intake must not be sealing off properly?

I can't wait to drive my truck tomorrow:rolleyes:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I must say, those photos are of excellent quality.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
not yet, I was tinkering until 12:30 this morning, I might do that tonight.

I did pull the lower intercooler pipe a week ago and it was completely dry. I have no reason to believe that I haven't been driving around like this, however the amount the compressor is unbalanced from this makes me think it would have exploded or blown bearings, so I do wonder how long it has been like this.

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
The valves are a little goopy and other misc spots from when the intake got cleaned before I bought it. I didn't think they were that oily but will look again.

Yes, I went back to stock. After oil level dropped a little, the catch can didn't fill up as quickly.
-EDIT- I went back to an ALH puck and blocked the lower vent again, just recently

Last edited:

JFettig

Vendor
TDI
B5 Passat, 2010 Jetta
When I stick my finger into the intake ports and drag back, my finger gets just the tiniest film of oil on it, too much Nick?

With the CCV back to the TIP for the past week or so there is some oil in the crossover tube, hose and lower intercooler tank, but only a film, just like what I have seen before. It was nearly dry in my quick check in the past.
I took a look into the intercooler and couldn't see any aluminum bits.

VNT15 is going in tonight, or at least I'm starting on it(I have to fix exhaust too)

I test fit the VL on the AFN manifold. The holes will be a problem but placement is awesome. I have another manifold I will be picking up which will be perfect for it. I will post pics later.

Jon

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
oh, that sucks. The BV43 is garbage? Any Ideas on what killed it? FOD?