Thanks Matt-98AHU!

michigandon

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3
One less thing to worry about for another 60,000 miles. Hope you guys are still enjoying the brew! :D

Also a big THANKS to Mr Bergell for freeing up my wastegate today. The car finally boosts as it should. First time it ever has since I've owned it really.

Hopefully I'm done with maintenance and repairs for a while. :eek:

Don

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
You're very welcome, Don. I forgot to do something which I normally check on every TDI that I work on; the case pressure relief valve on the injection pump. It's something I've only started checking in the last couple months. But every one I have removed so far has been popped out at least some. It makes a noticeable difference when the retainer ring is set back flush with the rest of the valve's body.

Most people do notice an improvement in performance, notably at higher RPMs. It takes less than 5 minutes to do as well!

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Care to elaborate Matt? Call me ignernt but this is the first I've heard of this.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
This is something Jeff posted some great photos and a description of a while back in this post.

This is the photo from the above linked post;

The middle valve is about where most I have checked are popped out to. The valve on the right is how it should be (the retaining collar sitting flush).

This valve is on the timing belt side of the injection pump on top of the lower case. I believe it relieves the pressure in the lower case to the top half of the pump (where it eventually can get returned to the filter). Over time the retainer will walk itself out a little (Jeff says commonly if the car is driven hard under cold conditions).

The thing is, the pump relies on the case pressure to help keep proper start of injection timing. So if this valve starts to relieve this fuel pressure too early, the timing piston works overtime to keep correct start of injection timing. When corrected, it does make a noticeable difference!

I did a short presentation on this at Fest this year (unfortunately to a small crowd!). I then did a couple more for people after the presentation before handing my tools to my friend, Tom Salvetta, so I could go on the road rally while others wanted their case pressure relief valves checked.

I am not as intimately familiar with the pump internals as Jeff is. For a better explanation of how everything works together he is a good person to ask.

michigandon

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3
Is this something I could easily take care of myself, or should I stop by with the car one day and let you check it out?

Thanks again,
Don

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
N ote that a stealer would NEVER think of this.

TDI GURUs are the best. It is these little things that kep these cars running as they should.

Matt-98AHU

TDI
It does require a special tool. But you can make one (as I did).

I took a deep well, 10mm 3/8ths in. drive impact socket and took a deburring tool to it to make it the same approximate shape as the top of the valve (it has 10mm flats, but the other edges are rounded).

I'd check it for free. It takes very little time at all.

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Ya learn something new every day! :cool: Thanks for re-reminding us about this (I noticed the original thread was from '05 ) Handy bit of obscure knowledge. Now to dig up an old 10MM deep well.