DSG Transmission

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2.0L
Recently purchased DSG transmission oil change kit at a german oem parts supplier...changed filter, drained oil etc etc.....
Put in 4 liter jug and could still fit more so I opened a 1 liter bottle that came with kit and my dsg took almost half of it (400ml).
Everything is good...car drives well...Later in day I noticed that the sticker on the 1 liter bottle says 75w-90 gear oil....Bottles looked identical, I had read the 4 liter jug but hadn't read the 1 liter.
Can anyone tell me if this will be fine...Dont know if the the 400ml of gear oil mixed in with 4 plus litres of dsg fluid would do any harm?
From what I've read the dual clutch fluid/dsg is also a gear oil but a thinner version.
Would appreciate your input...Thanks

Last edited:

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Probably be a good idea to at least do another change with all correct fluid to be safe. The DSG is damn expensive to replace and it depends on clean and correct fluid to operate properly, that's why vw wants it changed every 40k miles. The hundred bucks or so for another 5L of fluid would be cheap piece of mind IMO. Maybe you can get whoever you bought your last change from to pay for the new stuff for their mistake?

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Does anyone need a oil change kit?
I have the 9 liters (VW OEM) and filter (VW OEM) still sealed.
I also have a pump and adapter for the pan with a quick connect?
Is $85.00 enough to attract some attention?
The pump (basically a new garden sprayer with valve and quick connect).
When you change the oil you basically put in more than full and let it drain back.
With this setup it drains back into the pump and can be reused the next time.
The pump still has the left over in it and probably could not be shipped.
I would prefer if someone needs it pick up in Navarre FL.
Shipping is not included and I am not sure how to ship the oil and especially the pump (if the oil is left in it).

Last edited:
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2.0L
Jessie tdi...ya I'm on the fence about doing it but from what I've been told...the almost 10% of gear oil I put in there should not do any harm.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Did you stay at a Holiday in last night? Do you feel lucky? You are playing with a huge bet you are correct in your assumption. If you are wrong get your wallet out and it will be a huge bill. $100 and some time is more manageable.

JesseTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI, Premium package
Jessie tdi...ya I'm on the fence about doing it but from what I've been told...the almost 10% of gear oil I put in there should not do any harm.
Did the person who 'told' you that it shouldnt do any harm happen to work on, sell, or manufacture parts for vw DSG transmissions? Because they stand to make a bunch of money off of you in the future. If you got (up to or more than) $6k lying around to rebuild or replace a DSG prematurely then cool beans. I personally wouldn't take such a bet to save $100 and an afternoons worth of time the risk vs reward in that thinking makes no sense to me. It is a known fact that improperly maintained DSG'S fail prematurely and putting the wrong fluid (even 500ml) in would constitute 'improper'.

If I where in your shoes I would actually take it a step further by draining what you have now, putting in your fluid you originally changed out, run it up to temp and through gears THEN change that out for all fresh, correct fluid and filter. Just to dilute your 500ml more. But that's just me and I'm a bit OCD.

The fact remains that you have 500ml of the wrong oil in there. VW didnt spend millions of dollars on chemical engineering developing the correct fluid spec to be used in their complicated gearbox that they would have to stand behind for at least the warranty period just for any old 75w-whatever to be ok to use instead. If they could have used an existing spec they would have, it would have saved them literally millions of dollars.

Look at it this way, if a dealership or someone you where paying to change your DSG fluid put 500ml of the wrong **** in there and then tried to bull**** you that it would be fine and you dont need to worry about it, I'm willing to bet you'd insist on them at least doing it again, correctly, and free of charge. If you aren't willing to let someone else bs you dont bs yourself.

crazyrunner33

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Golf(bought back)
If you had a dry clutch, you'd probably be alright to risk running it for a bit with normal gear oil. Your wet clutches bring on a totally different ball game. The oil needs to play well with the increased temperature and friction of the clutches and you need to be certain the oil will play well with the friction materials.

It's not worth the risk in my book. Removing that transmission isn't fun, it weights more than the transmission that's in my Cummins powered truck.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think you'll be ok either way. Less than 10% good quality gear oil won't hurt anything, imo. They took the nasty sulfur compounds out of good gear oils years ago. Half these cars are probably getting serviced at the dealerships with 100% wrong spec atf.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The Germans love special friction modifier in specialty oils for various machines that have clutches that need to slip just the right amount.
From sewing machine motors to diesel transmissions.
The best thing is to use the correct oil or grease for the application.
This is just the right amount of slip and still give good lubrication.
Friction for the clutches and lube for the other parts.
If you need to have a design made more complicated, expensive, and delicate, send it to the Germans to build.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I thought the dsg fluid was formulated without friction modifiers. In any case, VW's dual clutch transmissions are pretty stout. If they can survive the red atf treatment many dealerships give them, I doubt a splash(6%?) of high end gear oil is going to harm anything. But I can see the validity of both views on something like this.